ADVERTISEMENT

Hy-Vee is taking the Twin Cities by storm; are you a fan, too?

Certain products each week at HV are fuel saver eligible. You might save one cent per item, maybe 20 cents, spend $50 and save 20 or 30 cents. And that savings is per gallon and is cumulative. I've paid 42 cents a gallon (big bags of cheese were on sale and 20 cents per gallon). Good up to 20 gallons.

I was waiting to see if this was available up in MN as I know that its traditionally been a Hy-Vee/Casey's partnership on this. But it's easy to save up Fuel Saver points and pay less than a quarter for 20 gallons of gas.

Why didn't you just type the words "how does HyVee fuel saver work?"

Instead, you assume something (seems habitual) and are wrong.

What aspect of the opening QUESTION I posted in that post is not understandable for you?

Is the 'fuel saver' thing the $0.10-off-per-gallon for every $100 you spend at the store?

I was waiting to see if this was available up in MN as I know that its traditionally been a Hy-Vee/Casey's partnership on this. But it's easy to save up Fuel Saver points and pay less than a quarter for 20 gallons of gas.

....and I wonder how much more you spent on those groceries to collect those $20 "savings"....?

As noted above, paying attention to ads/club card specials can drop your grocery bill in HALF, saving $50-100/month. I'd take that ANY day over "saving" $20-30/month on gas....

Someone should really look at the items "on special" earning you 'fuel points' and seeing what they cost when on sale or at other locations so you have an idea how much over 'list price' you are paying. If they are making an extra 10%-20% on those items, then buying $100 worth of them to save $20 on gas is a 'push'.

Reactions: rafferty06
....and I wonder how much more you spent on those groceries to collect those $20 "savings"....?

As noted above, paying attention to ads/club card specials can drop your grocery bill in HALF, saving $50-100/month. I'd take that ANY day over "saving" $20-30/month on gas....

Someone should really look at the items "on special" earning you 'fuel points' and seeing what they cost when on sale or at other locations so you have an idea how much over 'list price' you are paying. If they are making an extra 10%-20% on those items, then buying $100 worth of them to save $20 on gas is a 'push'.

We don't go out of our way to get anything just because it has fuel saver points. But a lot of the stuff we do get has them. They also have weeks where if you spend (for example) $50 on groceries you get $.25 on fuel saver, spent $100 you get $.50 and so forth. A lot of Hy-Vee branded stuff will give you fuel saver as well and they have promotions around them. As I said fuel saver is NOT a factor in our shopping, but in a months time we can usually get enough to get 20 gallons of gas for free.

What aspect of the opening QUESTION I posted in that post is not understandable for you?

Is the 'fuel saver' thing the $0.10-off-per-gallon for every $100 you spend at the store?

They have different levels from time to time and I think sometimes you can get 30 or 40 cents of for spending $100. They also have other things that you can buy and get 1 or 2 or more cents off. I bought beautiful 8 oz butterfly pork chops yesterday, 5 or $10 and got 10 cents off. We shop mostly at Hy-Vee but not necessarily for the cents off of gas. It is cumulative and you need to use it every month or lose it and right now we have 48 cents off. No big deal but that's $9.60 off of 20 gallons.

You assume people do not know what the prices are from week to week.

I'll give you a few recent examples that were too good to pass up. There is a certain frozen pizza we eat maybe once or twice a month, and it is usually $4.99 or 2/$10 on sale. HyVee was offering $25 cents off per gallon if you purchased one for $4.99. My car is big enough that I can use all 20 gallons of savings. You can do the math, but that pizza was free. Other examples, soda in 12-packs you can find on sale for 4/$10. The last time I waited until I also got 3 cents off per 12 pack, so that saved 12 cents per gallon or $2.40 which is like getting one for free.

The lesson - you're a smart guy, clearly, but don't assume everybody else is so dumb.

Does Minnesota still limit the sale of real beer to liquor stores and call it "strong beer"? A lot of unaware Iowans misunderstood the situation for a lot of years.

A highway patrolman friend told me about 30 years ago about a guy from Decorah who had gone to Minnesota for strong beer and brought back a pickup load. Somehow managed to get caught. Then they told him the horrible truth: Minnesota "strong beer" is what is sold in grocery stores and gas stations in Iowa.
3338768-tyrone-bigs-meme-generator-say-what-003017.jpeg

That's a "sale"?
Or, are you referring to the same "sale"?

Sorry, that's not well-written. My point was I know the price I am willing to pay for that pizza (and it does move around, sometimes as high as 6.99) and when they offer it at $5 with a 25 cent fuel saver, you bet I'm buying it.

Anyway though, you got me...

I live down in East Village - love the new downtown Hy-Vee. Now I just need to find a job down here and I never have to go to the suburbs.

how many sq feet is it? is it multi level?

that is the biggest complaint i have heard so far; there are no Hy-Vees in downtown MPLS or downtown St Paul; you have to travel 10-15 minutes to get to one

how many sq feet is it? is it multi level?

that is the biggest complaint i have heard so far; there are no Hy-Vees in downtown MPLS or downtown St Paul; you have to travel 10-15 minutes to get to one

It's one level, I don't know how many sq ft it is but it's much smaller than a regular Hy-Vee. Not as much diversity of options as far as brands of things go and a lot of the store is dining. I'd say liquor/beer section + dining options are close to 3/4 of the store. Only 4-5 checkout lanes and a couple self checkouts. No full size grocery carts.

Store is more geared around business/lunch crowd and single or couples living downtown. Not a great place to shop if you're a parent with 3 kids planning on shopping for the month. Part of the reason I like it so much, not a ton of kids everywhere and people with giant shopping carts.

It's one level, I don't know how many sq ft it is but it's much smaller than a regular Hy-Vee. Not as much diversity of options as far as brands of things go and a lot of the store is dining. I'd say liquor/beer section + dining options are close to 3/4 of the store. Only 4-5 checkout lanes and a couple self checkouts. No full size grocery carts.

Store is more geared around business/lunch crowd and single or couples living downtown. Not a great place to shop if you're a parent with 3 kids planning on shopping for the month. Part of the reason I like it so much, not a ton of kids everywhere and people with giant shopping carts.

Interesting; right now all of the MN Hy-Vee's are 90,000+ sq feet; they are looking at possibly building 10,000 sq foot "convenience stores on steroids" that would have a gas station; they are also looking at building smaller stores similar to what you are describing so that they can get closer to downtown MPLS and downtown St Paul

what is weird to me is the clothing section that is now part of a HyVee store; also, a store that will soon open will have a health club/gym (not sure how that will go over); it just seems like HyVee needs to stick more to food concepts if they are going to add something

Are there still aisles within the store containing regular beer and hard liquor? In Minnesota, the wine/spirits is its own separate room; liquor laws in MN are so outdated

Interesting; right now all of the MN Hy-Vee's are 90,000+ sq feet; they are looking at possibly building 10,000 sq foot "convenience stores on steroids" that would have a gas station; they are also looking at building smaller stores similar to what you are describing so that they can get closer to downtown MPLS and downtown St Paul

what is weird to me is the clothing section that is now part of a HyVee store; also, a store that will soon open will have a health club/gym (not sure how that will go over); it just seems like HyVee needs to stick more to food concepts if they are going to add something

Are there still aisles within the store containing regular beer and hard liquor? In Minnesota, the wine/spirits is its own separate room; liquor laws in MN are so outdated
beer/wine/liquor are in the "wine and spirits" room although it is connected to and open to the main store, and you can check out in the normal lines with anything.

They just built a massive Kroger/KingSoopers out here near Erie and I-25. It has clothing and other housewares/all kinds of stuff.

My observation was that while SuperWalMart is turning into a grocery store, Kroger/grocery stores are becoming SuperWalMarts.....

Had you never been to Hy-Vee before?

Ah...out here it's $0.10 off per gallon for every $100 spent.
I go to their station often anyway, because the gas is usually cheaper with or without the added discount.

I'd just pay attention to the 'list prices' for the items they are qualifying for 'gas discounts'; track them vs. other stores as you may discover you're paying 5% or more premium over list price to get the gas discount.

Saving $10 on gas isn't worth it if you're spending $15 more on the groceries....my GF worked for a Kroger in college and taught me all the tricks; now we spend about half on groceries than before - literally - by simply paying attention to the sales circulars and cutting a couple coupons. I was never a coupon believer, but watching nearly EVERY grocery bill plummet from the $110 'list' to $50 once all the discounts are applied - I'm now a believer. Don't care if I spend $5 more on gas if I can save >$100 a month on the groceries. Doesn't sound like much, but $1200 a year is a vacation's worth of savings for a domestic trip somewhere.
I don't know where you live but obviously not in Iowa if you have Krogers nearby. Indiana?

I'm a professional cheapskate and buy mostly the same stuff all the time. I know the prices of that stuff. Most of the gas discount items are marked down from regular price or, at worst, the normal price. Example (one of my favorites): buy 5 8 oz pork chops for $10 and get 5 free plus .10 a gallon gas discount. Those chops are normally $3.25 each. I like those chops.

I never buy anything I wouldn't normally buy just for the gas discount. And if I saw an increased price for a gas item I'd call them on it.

Had you never been to Hy-Vee before?

i have, but in small town Iowa, with the old HyVee concept; these HyVee stores are not your father's Hy-Vee's

And you have to remember, too, that Minnesotans are coming into HyVee for the first time and they literally are being blown away

No. Sorry. I think there's a Panchero's in Cedar Falls, though it's not worth the drive.

I'm not going to offer up a taste test, but Panchero's sucks.
Ha! The problem is, NO taste! They opened one in North Liberty a couple of years ago and I ventured in for a burrito. I took it home where I fortunately had a jar of La Casa salsa and a fair amount of salt so I was able to put a little taste on it. It was big and filling but pretty much tasted like chewing on a towel. My guess is the people who like Pancheros are the same ones who rave about Caseys pizza.

Ha! The problem is, NO taste! They opened one in North Liberty a couple of years ago and I ventured in for a burrito. I took it home where I fortunately had a jar of La Casa salsa and a fair amount of salt so I was able to put a little taste on it. It was big and filling but pretty much tasted like chewing on a towel. My guess is the people who like Pancheros are the same ones who rave about Caseys pizza.

I like Casey's pizza though.

I don't know where you live but obviously not in Iowa if you have Krogers nearby. Indiana?

I'm a professional cheapskate and buy mostly the same stuff all the time. I know the prices of that stuff. Most of the gas discount items are marked down from regular price or, at worst, the normal price. Example (one of my favorites): buy 5 8 oz pork chops for $10 and get 5 free plus .10 a gallon gas discount. Those chops are normally $3.25 each. I like those chops.

I never buy anything I wouldn't normally buy just for the gas discount. And if I saw an increased price for a gas item I'd call them on it.

Colorado; we have KingSoopers, which is Kroger under another local name (all in-store brand stuff is Kroger). GF worked at a Kroger out east while in HS/college and "knew all the drills" for how to cut $$ on shopping. I was never a believer in that, but after walking out @ half the regular grocery bill, I absolutely am converted.

Hy Vee will be fine until Fareway gets to town. Actually, I take that back, these suped up Hy Vee's fit in well for MSP. Fareway is your small town store where you buy your food at a great price and have the best meat market around, blows Hy Vee meat market away.

We used to be Hy Vee shoppers but have converted over to Fareway. Way cheaper. Still shop Hy Vee in a pinch but it's the old model Hy Vee, which is nothing special.

Love HyVee but also like Fareway. But we almost always buy groceries on a Sunday, so that naturally takes Fareway out of the equation 95% of the time.

Hy Vee will be fine until Fareway gets to town. Actually, I take that back, these suped up Hy Vee's fit in well for MSP. Fareway is your small town store where you buy your food at a great price and have the best meat market around, blows Hy Vee meat market away.

We used to be Hy Vee shoppers but have converted over to Fareway. Way cheaper. Still shop Hy Vee in a pinch but it's the old model Hy Vee, which is nothing special.

is Fareway in Iowa only? aren't they closed on Sunday's too for religious reasons?

https://www.fareway.com/about/values

Fareway's policy of being closed on Sunday has been in place for as long as our company has been in existence. We believe our customers, employees, and business partners deserve a day at home with their families - free from the fast-paced life we all live the other six days of the week.

The idea of resting on Sunday is something our founder, Paul S. Beckwith, firmly believed; in part because of his religious beliefs and a story told to him by his father. Paul's father was a pioneer who traveled to new territory by wagon train. Some pioneers were in a hurry, and drove on every day, leaving behind those who stopped for a day of rest and worship. As settlers continued to move westward, families who had taken Sunday off began to catch-up with those who had pushed ahead; finding broken-down wagons, lame animals, and weary people. Paul's father told him he decided that the Bible was right; neither man nor beast was made to work seven days a week.

Faribault MN is the closest to Minneapolis/St Paul; is their meat "that good?"

I wouldn't drive down from the cities just to shop at Fareway in Faribault, but if HV and Fareway were both reasonable distances away, I'd choose Fareway, especially for the meat counter.

Two reasons to patronize Hy-vee; being employee owned, they pay a living wage with decent benefits, including health insurance, and they are very involved in hiring the disabled. The folks that they hire with disabilities aren't just there for show; they get them involved constructively to the best of their abilities, giving them, I'm sure, a big boost in their feeling of self-worth.

Downtown hyvee is phenomenal. Was walking to a different bar with a group of friends and we stuck our head in to check it out, ended up walking around inside for 20 minutes.

Two reasons to patronize Hy-vee; being employee owned, they pay a living wage with decent benefits, including health insurance, and they are very involved in hiring the disabled. The folks that they hire with disabilities aren't just there for show; they get them involved constructively to the best of their abilities, giving them, I'm sure, a big boost in their feeling of self-worth.

This is very true in my experience. I have a cousin with a pretty significant mental disability and the job Hy-Vee has given him has been a huge boon to his life.

Reactions: Franisdaman

True from what I understand, my dad was an executive at Goodwill and he indicated Hy-Vee is a top notch partner/employer.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT