ADVERTISEMENT

I come in peace... for now

shakes3858

Rookie
Aug 28, 2009
There will be a time later this week, where I will talk trash and tell you how NU rules and Iowa is the worst team in college football.... I could decide to skip that because, well, it worked pretty poorly Michigan week. But literally everything else didn't work either so I might try again.

2 questions for now:

1. Fitz said you guys caught the injury bug against Illinois but it was impressive to see how the "next man up" played well. Who got knocked out of the game? Who's been injured before the Illinois game? Who do you think won't play against NU? What is their relative importance to the team? How confident are you in the backups?

For us, the biggest injury is Matthew Harris who broke some bones in his face. I think he's our #2 CB, many think he's #1. Our secondary (and Dline) is loaded with depth, but there will be a clear drop off from him. The backups have played, and played well for the most part. Fitz likes to play a lot of guys though. His philosophy is a fresh #2 is often better than a tired #1. We're also missing our #3 safety Kyle Queiro. He's a backup so the issue now depth rather than losing a star.

WR Austin Carr may be out and was listed as "day to day." He's one of many receivers that can't seem to separate themselves, but is listed as a started.

2. We seem to recruit some of the same players. 3 stand out for me from a quick look at the roster: Jordan Walsh, Faith Ekakitie, and Ryan Ward (is there a 3rd Ward brother too?) I feel sometimes that I follow some players heavily until the commit elsewhere and then they're lost to me. Any news about those three? How are they developing?

As far as injuries for Iowa. Best DE is done for the season. Guys that didn't finish or play against Illinois: both starting OT's, RB who started first two games before his injury. Best WR will be out this week for sure. First team preseason Big Ten TE.

The two tackles are doubtful against NW.

There will be a time later this week, where I will talk trash and tell you how NU rules and Iowa is the worst team in college football.... I could decide to skip that because, well, it worked pretty poorly Michigan week. But literally everything else didn't work either so I might try again.

2 questions for now:

1. Fitz said you guys caught the injury bug against Illinois but it was impressive to see how the "next man up" played well. Who got knocked out of the game? Who's been injured before the Illinois game? Who do you think won't play against NU? What is their relative importance to the team? How confident are you in the backups?

For us, the biggest injury is Matthew Harris who broke some bones in his face. I think he's our #2 CB, many think he's #1. Our secondary (and Dline) is loaded with depth, but there will be a clear drop off from him. The backups have played, and played well for the most part. Fitz likes to play a lot of guys though. His philosophy is a fresh #2 is often better than a tired #1. We're also missing our #3 safety Kyle Queiro. He's a backup so the issue now depth rather than losing a star.

WR Austin Carr may be out and was listed as "day to day." He's one of many receivers that can't seem to separate themselves, but is listed as a started.

2. We seem to recruit some of the same players. 3 stand out for me from a quick look at the roster: Jordan Walsh, Faith Ekakitie, and Ryan Ward (is there a 3rd Ward brother too?) I feel sometimes that I follow some players heavily until the commit elsewhere and then they're lost to me. Any news about those three? How are they developing?

And we rarely cross recruiting paths for being so close, very differently built programs...we battle more with Minnesota, nebby, Wisconsin, etc.
as far as injury front, this week would be the best week to be playing Iowa.....missing many key components

In the summer this website put out a list of the ten key Hawkeye players for the season. Five of those ten guys are injured....

we have a load of injuries, so feel fortunate - kind of repeating but adding some additional commentary

RB- Canzeri was actually 2nd string, starter is out - Leshun Daniels - depth here is thin/fumble prone
TE- Jake Duzey has been out for a while and is due back any game- He is a mid round NFL draft pick who has not even played this year if that puts in perspective: Good Depth Here
OT (2) both of our starting tackles appear to be out for game - very troubling: True Freshman starting at one spot
WR - our biggest playmaker - Tevaun Smith, Senior is likely out (there is a true freshman also named smith starting in his place)
DE - Drew Ott, our best DE, who will play on Sundays tore his ACL against Ill: Fairly big dropoff here

I am sure NU will spread us out as usual, dink and dunk. Cannot wait!!!!!

I heard a rumor beathard has a sports hernia, just had surgery and can't play. Sounds like BS but any truth?

So... In the Illinois game...

We lost DE Ott(Sack Brother) for the year.
Boettger(RT) left the game with ankle injury.
Jordan Walsh(RG) missed most the first half with shoulder injury before returning the second half.
Sean Welsh(LG) was in and out from time to time.

James Daniels(True FR) who is the back up RG took Walsh's place in the first half. He also took Welsh's place at LG. He finished by taking over at RT for injured Boettger. Ferentz mentioned that he is very raw with the T positions and he commended his efforts given the situation he was thrown into. He and Walsh combined to open up the huge hole for Canzeri on the 75 yard run, so I commend his efforts also.

Already battling injury issues prior to Illinois...
LeShun Daniels(RB) hasn't been healthy all year. He is still recovering from an ankle injury.

Boone Myers(LT) has been out the last two weeks now. I believe he is our biggest OL liability, so I don't think his loss is huge outside of the fact our depth at the Tackle positions is very limited as the injuries are piling up.

Tevaun Smith(WR) got injured a few weeks ago during practice and that has had an impact on Beathard and the teams passing the last two weeks. It has forced the Hawks to rely on Canzeri to help carry the offense more. The freshman WR Jerminic Smith stepped in and struggled some against Wisconsin, but he looked very aware and on the same page with Beathard against Illinois.

Derrick Mitchell(RB) has been battling some injury/off field(?) issues that haven't been disclosed very much. He was in action some against Illinois, but not sure if he was completely healthy or not. I'm assuming he was since Wadley and him are basically even on the depth chart and Mitchell played before Wadley did.

Duzey(TE) has been out for a while. He is probably one of the quickest and best pass catching TE's in the country. He isn't a super blocker by any means, so he is more of a match up nightmare in pass coverage. That has put the passing game at a disadvantage, but Kreiger Coble has filled in well despite a few drops here and there.

Darian Cooper(DT) would likely be our starting DT ahead of Bazata but has battled several injury issues throughout his career and is IR.

Iowa's depth chart going into this weekend in the injury positions...

As mentioned Jerminic Smith is playing for Tevaun Smith at WR.

LT Cole Croston(3rd straight week) in place of Boone Myers. Ryan Ward(3rd string OL) will be his back up.
Back up LG and C is Eric Simmons.

RT James Daniels(Reserve RG gets 1st start at RT) inexperienced with the Tackle position.
Back up RG and RT is Keegan Render.

DE Parker Hesse is a RS freshman who despite what people may think will not be much of a drop off from Drew Ott. However, if he goes down I think you would see a dip. Nelson and Spears are good for the future, but I don't think they are ready for B10 ball yet.

None injury related depth chart changes...

Josh Jackson is even with Sean Draper as back up CB, but reality is Jackson will likely be next option after King if that arises.

Jordan Walsh(RG) missed most the first half with shoulder injury before returning the second half.

James Daniels(True FR) who is the back up RG took Walsh's place in the first half. He also took Welsh's place at LG. He finished by taking over at RT for injured Boettger. Ferentz mentioned that he is very raw with the T positions and he commended his efforts given the situation he was thrown into. He and Walsh combined to open up the huge hole for Canzeri on the 75 yard run, so I commend his efforts also.

LeShun Daniels(RB) hasn't been healthy all year. He is still recovering from an ankle injury.

Boone Myers(LT) has been out the last two weeks now. I believe he is our biggest OL liability, so I don't think his loss is huge outside of the fact our depth at the Tackle positions is very limited as the injuries are piling up.

Tevaun Smith(WR) got injured a few weeks ago during practice and that has had an impact on Beathard and the teams passing the last two weeks. It has forced the Hawks to rely on Canzeri to help carry the offense more. The freshman WR Jerminic Smith stepped in and struggled some against Wisconsin, but he looked very aware and on the same page with Beathard against Illinois.

Derrick Mitchell(RB) has been battling some injury/off field(?) issues that haven't been disclosed very much. He was in action some against Illinois, but not sure if he was completely healthy or not. I'm assuming he was since Wadley and him are basically even on the depth chart and Mitchell played before Wadley did.

Duzey(TE) has been out for a while. He is probably one of the quickest and best pass catching TE's in the country. He isn't a super blocker by any means, so he is more of a match up nightmare in pass coverage. That has put the passing game at a disadvantage, but Kreiger Coble has filled in well despite a few drops here and there.

Darian Cooper(DT) would likely be our starting DT ahead of Bazata but has battled several injury issues throughout his career and is IR.

LT Cole Croston(3rd straight week) in place of Boone Myers. Ryan Ward(3rd string OL) will be his back up.

RT James Daniels(Reserve RG gets 1st start at RT) inexperienced with the Tackle position.

DE Parker Hesse is a RS freshman who despite what people may think will not be much of a drop off from Drew Ott. However, if he goes down I think you would see a dip. Nelson and Spears are good for the future, but I don't think they are ready for B10 ball yet.

Josh Jackson is even with Sean Draper as back up CB, but reality is Jackson will likely be next option after King if that arises.
I'm 95% sure Spears is a senior and if he's not ready for B1G football by now, he's only in the program because he doesn't want to pay for school

Well if the first half of the season were any indication, I would have to say Parker Hesse is very blockable at this point of his career. Not sure what he's shown you that suggests he won't be much of a drop-off from Ott.

You already explained how you're gonna be a douchebag later this week so suck it trebek. U asking us to confirm injuries is like a perp asking if the house across the street is locked or not.

Reactions: HobbieHawk
I heard a rumor beathard has a sports hernia, just had surgery and can't play. Sounds like BS but any truth?
You seem more worried about our injuries then most Hawk fans do. I'm wondering if you think your only chance to win is against our 2nd teamers?

Well if the first half of the season were any indication, I would have to say Parker Hesse is very blockable at this point of his career. Not sure what he's shown you that suggests he won't be much of a drop-off from Ott.
Yeah, no joke. The drop off in run defense might be minimal, the drop off in pass rush is massive. All that said, the drop off isn't nearly as large as I would have guessed before I saw Hesse play.

You seem more worried about our injuries then most Hawk fans do. I'm wondering if you think your only chance to win is against our 2nd teamers?
I think injuries are a huge part of the game. Big Ten teams are way too close talent wise for one team to be playing generally healthy and the other team to be playing back ups. Could we win if this was 1st team on 1st team? I think we're pretty even based on what I watched this year and the game is in Evanston. Despite the lack of a home field advantage with the number of home fans vs visiting fans, not having to travel gives the team additional time to prepare, so I'd give us a 55-60% chance of victory. With the injury situation, I'll bump that up a bit.

I think injuries are a huge part of the game. Big Ten teams are way too close talent wise for one team to be playing generally healthy and the other team to be playing back ups. Could we win if this was 1st team on 1st team? I think we're pretty even based on what I watched this year and the game is in Evanston. Despite the lack of a home field advantage with the number of home fans vs visiting fans, not having to travel gives the team additional time to prepare, so I'd give us a 55-60% chance of victory. With the injury situation, I'll bump that up a bit.
I can agree with that. I just don't want us to start making excuses about our bad luck with injuries. Just like you're not going to make excuses that you have a young QB. I feel good about whoever the Hawks have on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT