ADVERTISEMENT

I have a naive weather question to ask about Irma

soybean

HR King
Sep 30, 2001
I'm home getting ready to watch the Hawks on TV today. I'm also keeping a eye on Irma as I have been for the past several days. What I'm wondering is why do all of these hurricane models expect Irma to make a turn north and run up the length of Florida - why won't she just ride along the edge of Cuba and then just keep moving WNW and wander out into the gulf and then threaten LA & TX?

Reactions: Herkmeister
I'm home getting ready to watch the Hawks on TV today. I'm also keeping a eye on Irma as I have been for the past several days. What I'm wondering is why do all of these hurricane models expect Irma to make a turn north and run up the length of Florida - why won't she just ride along the edge of Cuba and then just keep moving WNW and wander out into the gulf and then threaten LA & TX?

Approaching cold front.

Reactions: NoleATL
I'm not sure I'm convinced it gonna turn North as soon as they expect.

But have they learned their lesson?
Yes. They decided that due to the need to tear up new construction and concrete covering the ground, all non-essential newcomers from the Midwest must leave ASAP and return to their blizzard prone cornfields or face capture and transport to the nearest soylent green processing center.

Because if it turns north it will take out more Trump properties. God hates Trump.

Reactions: unIowa
God already punished TX and LA.
IMG_0009.jpg

Because bad things come from the south and try to overrun America.

Thus, we must build a wall that keeps out southern immigrants, hurricanes, Latino soccer announcers, and Shakira's hips.

Okay, okay...we can keep Shakira's hips.

giphy.gif

What knowledge of these things do you have that would make you doubt the models? I seriously don't understand.

All the models are way off the farther out in time they go. That's why the forecast said it would go up the east coast on Thursday.

The "one forecasted path" you see generally speaking is a blend of roughly 15 or so forecasting models.

Some models may nail the path, some won't. Plus, as each "sample of weather data" is taken, a new forecast is issued, once again a blend of the multitude of models.

The data used to forecast is ever changing as the weather evolves, therefore if one piece of the puzzle isn't the same as what it was forecasted to be earlier, every model therefore may have an individual change, thereby changing the blended "single path" forecast.

Keep in mind, they ballparked this one pretty damn well. A week ago, the forecast was it's gonna come in somewhere in southern Florida...which it has. Yes, it's edged westward as we got closer, but closer generally lends to more accurate short term forecasts versus the long term forecasts of a week ago.

Reactions: Hawk8595
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT