ADVERTISEMENT

I still can’t believe we were THERE

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
Week 6 of the 2021 season- AP poll #3 Coaches #2 regardless of what everyone else may think it takes luck, hard nose defensive football and an offense - well.. we fell a tad short but I wish I had a magic button to stop all college football at that time when they were rated that high and just end the season if you would of told me the season would end there and we wouldn’t of happened to witness a “few” of those games after those rankings came out.

Hoping for another strong season but improved in all facets of the game.

Week 6 of the 2021 season- AP poll #3 Coaches #2 regardless of what everyone else may think it takes luck, hard nose defensive football and an offense - well.. we fell a tad short but I wish I had a magic button to stop all college football at that time when they were rated that high and just end the season if you would of told me the season would end there and we wouldn’t of happened to witness a “few” of those games after those rankings came out.

It's what makes sports fun. I wouldn't wish it away. In a 12-game season, eventually a team kind of gets to whatever level it really is at. I despise the CFP projections after Week 2 or whatever, but it is what it is. I get why some Iowa fans perceive last year as a "letdown" after being ranked in the top 4 after the PSU game. But I never thought it "was Iowa's year." Could already see that Iowa State was not very good and that Iowa needed some breaks to beat PSU. But season still ended up winning the division, which can never be considered a failure at Iowa.

For some reason, despite historic evidence, the Clones are media darlings. They were so over-hyped and so was Indiana. Iowa beating them forced the media to rank us that high despite fill well knowing we weren't that good. Otherwise they would have to rethink their love affair with the clones. Despite the disappointment to come, I still sucked up every moment in the spotlight and hype we had. That Penn State week was amazing.

For some reason, despite historic evidence, the Clones are media darlings. They were so over-hyped and so was Indiana. Iowa beating them forced the media to rank us that high despite fill well knowing we weren't that good. Otherwise they would have to rethink their love affair with the clones. Despite the disappointment to come, I still sucked up every moment in the spotlight and hype we had. That Penn State week was amazing.
Still love they had Kutcher be the guest picker, lol. Night before he is on twitter screaming Go Hawks!!!! That whole weekend was a solid kick in the nuts for ISU

Pre-season ratings and even season ratings don't mean squat. Where your team is rated at the end of the season is essential. It was nice having that high ranking early last year but, as another poster mentioned above, we all knew Iowa should not have been ranked that high. I believe we will have a better team this year however, the tougher schedule might not result in more wins this year.

The Penn State game last season was arguably the greatest experience I've ever had in Kinnick. I'd look around me on key defensive downs and see people that don't typically get into the game screaming their heads off. I'd never really seen that before. At least with such consistency. Something happened that night that was pretty special from a spectator POV.

Iowa State is a media darling? Seriously?

D and ST were solid and have usually been high tier, the O has always been far behind

………..then Purdue. Bastards. The whole team was so flat they couldn’t get out of their own way.
That game convinced me to move on from Petras and start rolling the dice with anyone else. I can't ever remember a qb with that much game experience putting up single digits at home. One of the most boring and futile offensive showings I've ever witnessed.

That game convinced me to move on from Petras and start rolling the dice with anyone else. I can't ever remember a qb with that much game experience putting up single digits at home. One of the most boring and futile offensive showings I've ever witnessed.

Really, let me help…..

1982….Chuck long, it was his 1st season to be fair but we went 8-4, so we were decent, but scored 7 vs Nebbie there. 7 vs 4-6-1 ISU @home. 7 vs Michigan @home, 7 vs 3-8 Purdue on the road, in Chucks 9th game.

The next year in Chucks 16th game he took #4 Iowa in to Champaign vs Illinois and got steam rolled…0-33

In fact as I looked backwards at historical scores there were a number of times we scored seven points in a game under Hayden and Kirk both, many times at home… But in hindsight I now see we should’ve moved on from those quarterbacks when that happened….who knew?

The Penn State game last season was arguably the greatest experience I've ever had in Kinnick. I'd look around me on key defensive downs and see people that don't typically get into the game screaming their heads off. I'd never really seen that before. At least with such consistency. Something happened that night that was pretty special from a spectator POV.
i suspect the sight of franklin's face on the jumotron transformed otherwise peaceful folk into animals

It was cool for the 1 week it lasted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT