ADVERTISEMENT

I Talked to Logan Jones Today

TJFant

HR All-State
Oct 1, 2019
I was finishing my workout at the Council Bluffs Y today and happened to see Logan doing ab exercises. What a super nice and respectful young man! He said he reports on June 13 and he is really excited to move over to Iowa City. That is definitely 265 pounds of serious man!!! He is definitely a physical specimen and I can't imagine what his body fat level is but it can't be much. I just wished him the best and told him that us Hawk fans are looking forward to seeing number 95 on the field this and future years.

Went by CB Lewis football complex today. Pretty sure I saw Fidone working out, as I think I have also seen him there the past three weeks I've gone by.

Wonder if I've seen Jones out there as well. Sometimes there is a group of them working out, but Fidone just stands out being much taller.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
tenor.gif

Went by CB Lewis football complex today. Pretty sure I saw Fidone working out, as I think I have also seen him there the past three weeks I've gone by.

Wonder if I've seen Jones out there as well. Sometimes there is a group of them working out, but Fidone just stands out being much taller.
Could be. I know Fidone has been working out a lot with Max Duggan as one of my golf buddies has seen them at Kirn field on at least 3 occasions. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Kammrad's son isn't working out with them as I have heard Duggan may be tutoring him. It was about 3:30 when I saw Logan, so being the workout warrior that he is he may very well have been there getting some serious running in. If I see him in the next few days I will ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwik44

Also, I have seen some of the Iowa Western guys working out on the LC field off and on over the past few months. Could be a mixed bag.

Logan has the attitude, work ethic, athleticism and chip on his shoulder very much like Duggan had! Dont be surprised to see him in the rotation this year!!
If this is who I think it is, Mike Hale raves about Max almost every time we play golf which has been a lot lately. He has so much respect for Max and Logan both. I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Logan Jones and Craig both don't push for some serious playing time this year.

If this is who I think it is, Mike Hale raves about Max almost every time we play golf which has been a lot lately. He has so much respect for Max and Logan both. I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if Logan Jones and Craig both don't push for some serious playing time this year.
Mike did some great things as the AD at LC, but most importantly he worked his tail off for the kids! Thank you Mr Hale!

That would be impressive if Logan Jones was in the rotation at DT. If he is really 265 then doubly impressive.
It sounds like he will start out at DE and may grow into a DT. He is about the same size as Brady Reiff was 2 years ago when he got a lot of PT as the number 2 DT, so you never know. I still think Golston and Waggoner will be the starters, Evans will be a 3rd down guy and it will be between ZVV, McCall, Craig and Jones to be the every down number 2s. I had heard Lee was maybe moving inside even though they show him as a DE.

Last edited:
I was finishing my workout at the Council Bluffs Y today and happened to see Logan doing ab exercises. What a super nice and respectful young man! He said he reports on June 13 and he is really excited to move over to Iowa City. That is definitely 265 pounds of serious man!!! He is definitely a physical specimen and I can't imagine what his body fat level is but it can't be much. I just wished him the best and told him that us Hawk fans are looking forward to seeing number 95 on the field this and future years.
National championship.

It sounds like he will start out at DE and may grow into a DT. He is about the same size as Brady Reiff was 2 years ago when he got a lot of PT as the number 2 DT, so you never know. I still think Golston and Waggoner will be the starters, Evans will be a 3rd down guy and it will be between ZVV, McCall, Craig and Jones to be the every down number 2s. I had heard Lee was maybe moving inside even though they show him as a DE.
I know nothing. I just thought from day one Jones, Liddle and Bruce would be DTs. I thought Lee was being groomed for DT but now you guys are saying DE.

Another good buddy of mine (retired coach and stud athlete in his day) was working with his grandson (track wannabe) a couple of days ago when Fidone was working out with Duggan. He texted me a little bit ago just absolutely raving (again)about Fidone. He said not only is he 6'5' with an unbelievable wing span and huge soft hands, but he couldn't believe his footwork, raving about him being able to cut on a dime, super quick moves and unbelievable change of direction for a big guy. Yep, another stalker.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Wasn’t that about same playing weight as Mitch King?
King was listed at 280 at the end of his Iowa tenure, ran a 4.8 at that size and explosiveness was off the charts. Anyone have a sense of how Jones does in the latter metrics?

Here's the interview we did with Logan a week ago.

https://iowa.n.rivals.com/news/logan-jones-getting-ready-for-iowa

He'll definitely end up with his name on the lift records board as long as he stays healthy. Might be able to break the DE/DT hang clean record his freshman year actually and could challenge Wirfs' overall record eventually.

The DT record is 415 lbs by Carl Davis and the DE record is 410 lbs. by Amani Jones.

Logan Jones was already at 405 lbs. before his senior year of high school.

(click to enlarge)
ETCADC6XkAAqdRb

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Here's the interview we did with Logan a week ago.

https://iowa.n.rivals.com/news/logan-jones-getting-ready-for-iowa

He'll definitely end up with his name on the lift records board as long as he stays healthy. Might be able to break the DE/DT hang clean record his freshman year actually and could challenge Wirfs' overall record eventually.

The DT record is 415 lbs by Carl Davis and the DE record is 410 lbs. by Amani Jones.

Logan Jones was already at 405 lbs. before his senior year of high school.

(click to enlarge)
ETCADC6XkAAqdRb

To say that Logan is chiseled may be an understatement---he is in unbelievable shape for a 265 pound player (not that many Hawkeye players aren't). I have heard that once he received Doyle's workout plan and nutritional plan that he has followed both religiously---from good LC sources who are closer to him. As another poster shared earlier, and he should know watching Logan's development for 3 years at LC, "Logan has the attitude, work ethic, athleticism and chip on his shoulder" to become an exceptional player. I am really looking forward to the ride! Go Hawks!

I know nothing. I just thought from day one Jones, Liddle and Bruce would be DTs. I thought Lee was being groomed for DT but now you guys are saying DE.
Coach Bell has repeated many times that he ideally wants his guys to know how to play all 4 spots. Thus, he wants them to be able to play inside and out. Part of the import there is the guys will better understand gap integrity when they're doing twists and stunts. Furthermore, when we go to your NASCAR package ... the guys can get lined up all over the place. There were times when Nixon was on the edge last season. Similarly, Golston has played a lot on the interior in our pass-rush package.

Anyhow, in terms of extensive reps ... I'm willing to bet that Jones ultimately lands at DT. There's just too much long-term future need on the interior. He might see some reps at SDE ... but I expect that he'll ultimately land at DT.

Logan Lee had been seeing a lot of practice reps at DT ... however, my impression was that it was primarily to shore-up depth concerns on the interior. You have to remember that we graduated Brincks and Nelson at DT after '18 ... and we just graduated Lattimore and Reiff at DT after '19. Furthermore, last year was the first year that Nixon, Schulte, and Shannon saw extensive reps on the DL for the Hawks ... so we obviously had a lot of unknowns at the position (at least in terms of depth).

My guess is that the arrival of Heflin on the roster will now given Bell a little bit more position flexibility with guys like Lee and Waggoner.

Coach Bell has repeated many times that he ideally wants his guys to know how to play all 4 spots. Thus, he wants them to be able to play inside and out. Part of the import there is the guys will better understand gap integrity when they're doing twists and stunts. Furthermore, when we go to your NASCAR package ... the guys can get lined up all over the place. There were times when Nixon was on the edge last season. Similarly, Golston has played a lot on the interior in our pass-rush package.

Anyhow, in terms of extensive reps ... I'm willing to bet that Jones ultimately lands at DT. There's just too much long-term future need on the interior. He might see some reps at SDE ... but I expect that he'll ultimately land at DT.

Logan Lee had been seeing a lot of practice reps at DT ... however, my impression was that it was primarily to shore-up depth concerns on the interior. You have to remember that we graduated Brincks and Nelson at DT after '18 ... and we just graduated Lattimore and Reiff at DT after '19. Furthermore, last year was the first year that Nixon, Schulte, and Shannon saw extensive reps on the DL for the Hawks ... so we obviously had a lot of unknowns at the position (at least in terms of depth).

My guess is that the arrival of Heflin on the roster will now given Bell a little bit more position flexibility with guys like Lee and Waggoner.

Just a feeling but I think Logan Lee by the end of the season could be starting opposite Chauncey.

Think Christian Ballard when you here about Logan Lee. Word is kid is doing well packing on healthy weight while maintaining his plus plus athleticism. He has been learning both DL positions and could be a matchup nightmare with the ability to bounce inside and outside on the DL. 2nd word I have been hearing, Iowa is really putting the work in developing DL'men that can bounce inside and out. Nixon will be that guy this year among the likely starters. Black, Craig and Jones will be groomed over the next few years along with Lee. I'm excited to see the defense grow over the next few years. Really has some amazing potential to go along with a very inventive transformation with the DL and Cash positions.

This is some exciting news concerning some of our incoming recruits. I love hearing theses guys are working hard with their individual workouts prior to coming to Iowa City. Thanks for sharing.

To say that Logan is chiseled may be an understatement---he is in unbelievable shape for a 265 pound player (not that many Hawkeye players aren't). I have heard that once he received Doyle's workout plan and nutritional plan that he has followed both religiously---from good LC sources who are closer to him. As another poster shared earlier, and he should know watching Logan's development for 3 years at LC, "Logan has the attitude, work ethic, athleticism and chip on his shoulder" to become an exceptional player. I am really looking forward to the ride! Go Hawks!
While Logan Jones was being recruited ... one of the more repeated comparisons I heard was that his attitude and tenacity reminded a lot of folks of Linderbaum. However, Jones is also a gym enthusiast like Wirfs ... so he's also likely developing elite strength and explosiveness.

In other words - this young man has many characteristics that you gotta be excited about!

Reactions: TJFant
While Logan Jones was being recruited ... one of the more repeated comparisons I heard was that his attitude and tenacity reminded a lot of folks of Linderbaum. However, Jones is also a gym enthusiast like Wirfs ... so he's also likely developing elite strength and explosiveness.

In other words - this young man has many characteristics that you gotta be excited about!
Amen to that, and a motor like Mitch King, Aaron Kampman and Matt Roth had. He put it on display at the All American game going up against one of the top if not the top OLine recruit in the country in a game where there was no such thing as offensive holding and more than held his own. As Blair alluded to earler, he could very well hold the all-time record for the hang clean for DL very early on, possibly before his very first game at Kinnick!

Could be. I know Fidone has been working out a lot with Max Duggan as one of my golf buddies has seen them at Kirn field on at least 3 occasions. I wouldn't be surprised if Coach Kammrad's son isn't working out with them as I have heard Duggan may be tutoring him. It was about 3:30 when I saw Logan, so being the workout warrior that he is he may very well have been there getting some serious running in. If I see him in the next few days I will ask.

What were you doing at 325?

FYI, Jones said he and Fidone only work out "a little" together. He said Fidone does his training in Omaha---apparently where the picture of Fant and him was taken. Doesn't sound like they are very close, so I just assume he is normally not part of the Duggan/Fidone passing drills workouts.

Reactions: kwik44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT