ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts & Observations from Iowa Coaching Clinic

Drinkin Buddy

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2015
Hiawatha
Some notes on observations from the Coach'ing Clinic in Iowa City this weekend, in no particular order:

• Dayton Howard is a legit P5 receiver. Has the physical specs and an intense work ethic. He'll be fun to watch.
  • Iowa has incorporated the helmet communication system on both O & D and are working through the changes and challenges that go along with the new technology (players and coaches). It's a learning process that will take time.
  • Cade was in helmet and jersey, no pads, and participated in most QB drills. He's still healing up. Does what he can do physically and is really engaged in mental reps.
  • All QBs have constant coaching on read progressions and pocket mobility. It's not in your face stuff, just continuous teaching on mechanics, visual processing, timing and execution,
  • QB room spends a good amount of time going through 49ers film cut ups to reinforce on-field teachings.
  • Kaleb Brown was not dressed on Saturday. No apparent injury; perhaps a rest day. But, definitely engaged in mental reps across the periods.
  • Logan Jones and Jennings Dunker not dressed. Logan got snaps in with Cade a bit. Dunker was a fairly limited with some sort of owie.
  • Lots of pre-snap motion. 75% of plays. Part of the QB and WR teaching process.
  • Abdul Hodge is really and impressive coach. Smart, communicative, excellent grasp on the right things and INTENSE (not in a Phil Parker way, but you can feel it when talking with him).
  • It's no secrete that the OL group lacks a certain level of athleticism that we have been accustomed to, but MAN are they being coached hard (in a great way) by Barnett and KF. The teachings are good and exacting. Technique and tenacity are the way to overcome or balance out physical limitations. Would like to see them grow more nastiness, but first things first on doing things right and together. Excellent chemistry within the group and with the coaches. Could really use a portal transfer at T who can anchor things and set an on-field tone. Proctor wasn't it (more on that later).
  • You're really going to like Tim Lester, if not already. There is no such thing as a savior, but there is such a thing as a welcoming breath of fresh air. He has a really positive approach and a quiet confidence about him - you can tell that he's been a successful QB as well has been a head coach. He works with a high level of enthusiasm and empathy, understands the details and constantly teaches the QBs. The players have bought in to what he's giving them. Still a ton of work on install to be done, but early returns are very positive.
  • Offense ran fairly heavy on RPO, most likely because of the steep learning curve all around. This is the time to do it.
  • KFs attention is on the OL, and he's letting Tim do his install and coaching. A lot of people think they have KF nailed, but they don't. He lets his coaches coach, and other than his passion at OL he focuses more on the bigger picture for the team. It goes without saying that he is extremely bright and thoughtful, and while he's not immediately open to change will come around to it once convinced. He has his rules for Tim and the offense, just as he has his rules and expectations of ever other coach. He has the absolute right to overrule any call or decision, but he has a lot of trust in his staff and is working on gaining it with Tim. KF knows he's in the twilight of his career. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the nuanced changes.
  • Finally, speaking of nuances, there wasn't a lot of chatter about Proctor. Iowa has moved on. However, just through casual conversation there were two things that stuck out about this story. First, Proctor did not give much of an effort to invest in his teammates. Iowa is a VERY tight group of players, and they are open to new faces, but developing chemistry goes both ways. The word repeated to describe the past few months with him was "distant". Second, and I'll be blunt: Iowa is a WORKING football team, and there were questions about Proctor's understanding, grasp and internalization of that very real concept. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I had a great chat with a fellow peer about this very subject, and reminded him the KP showed up to Alabama fall camp at 388 and had to drop 30lbs in season before he could shake his struggles and immobility. My point was that NOBODY gains 30lbs during summer conditioning. That's what the winter program is for. Summer is about leaning out, getting faster and more explosive in prep for the season. You don't work your way to 388 - you eat your way there. Proctor was NOT going to work out at Iowa.
'Nuff said.

Fantastic. Two words I latched onto in your report. "nastiness" - I liked to see more of that in the OL.

"nuanced" - I think that's a good description for KF. Fans would prefer "blunt", but nuanced is who he is.

I'm particularly interested in how Lainez is looking early on. At least, is he getting his fair share of time, or is it too early to know?

Some notes on observations from the Coach'ing Clinic in Iowa City this weekend, in no particular order:

• Dayton Howard is a legit P5 receiver. Has the physical specs and an intense work ethic. He'll be fun to watch.
  • Iowa has incorporated the helmet communication system on both O & D and are working through the changes and challenges that go along with the new technology (players and coaches). It's a learning process that will take time.
  • Cade was in helmet and jersey, no pads, and participated in most QB drills. He's still healing up. Does what he can do physically and is really engaged in mental reps.
  • All QBs have constant coaching on read progressions and pocket mobility. It's not in your face stuff, just continuous teaching on mechanics, visual processing, timing and execution,
  • QB room spends a good amount of time going through 49ers film cut ups to reinforce on-field teachings.
  • Kaleb Brown was not dressed on Saturday. No apparent injury; perhaps a rest day. But, definitely engaged in mental reps across the periods.
  • Logan Jones and Jennings Dunker not dressed. Logan got snaps in with Cade a bit. Dunker was a fairly limited with some sort of owie.
  • Lots of pre-snap motion. 75% of plays. Part of the QB and WR teaching process.
  • Abdul Hodge is really and impressive coach. Smart, communicative, excellent grasp on the right things and INTENSE (not in a Phil Parker way, but you can feel it when talking with him).
  • It's no secrete that the OL group lacks a certain level of athleticism that we have been accustomed to, but MAN are they being coached hard (in a great way) by Barnett and KF. The teachings are good and exacting. Technique and tenacity are the way to overcome or balance out physical limitations. Would like to see them grow more nastiness, but first things first on doing things right and together. Excellent chemistry within the group and with the coaches. Could really use a portal transfer at T who can anchor things and set an on-field tone. Proctor wasn't it (more on that later).
  • You're really going to like Tim Lester, if not already. There is no such thing as a savior, but there is such a thing as a welcoming breath of fresh air. He has a really positive approach and a quiet confidence about him - you can tell that he's been a successful QB as well has been a head coach. He works with a high level of enthusiasm and empathy, understands the details and constantly teaches the QBs. The players have bought in to what he's giving them. Still a ton of work on install to be done, but early returns are very positive.
  • Offense ran fairly heavy on RPO, most likely because of the steep learning curve all around. This is the time to do it.
  • KFs attention is on the OL, and he's letting Tim do his install and coaching. A lot of people think they have KF nailed, but they don't. He lets his coaches coach, and other than his passion at OL he focuses more on the bigger picture for the team. It goes without saying that he is extremely bright and thoughtful, and while he's not immediately open to change will come around to it once convinced. He has his rules for Tim and the offense, just as he has his rules and expectations of ever other coach. He has the absolute right to overrule any call or decision, but he has a lot of trust in his staff and is working on gaining it with Tim. KF knows he's in the twilight of his career. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the nuanced changes.
  • Finally, speaking of nuances, there wasn't a lot of chatter about Proctor. Iowa has moved on. However, just through casual conversation there were two things that stuck out about this story. First, Proctor did not give much of an effort to invest in his teammates. Iowa is a VERY tight group of players, and they are open to new faces, but developing chemistry goes both ways. The word repeated to describe the past few months with him was "distant". Second, and I'll be blunt: Iowa is a WORKING football team, and there were questions about Proctor's understanding, grasp and internalization of that very real concept. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. I had a great chat with a fellow peer about this very subject, and reminded him the KP showed up to Alabama fall camp at 388 and had to drop 30lbs in season before he could shake his struggles and immobility. My point was that NOBODY gains 30lbs during summer conditioning. That's what the winter program is for. Summer is about leaning out, getting faster and more explosive in prep for the season. You don't work your way to 388 - you eat your way there. Proctor was NOT going to work out at Iowa.
'Nuff said.
I know I beat this horse to death but can you give us a percentage guess on snaps from shotgun vs under center?

Reactions: cl4isu
Fantastic. Two words I latched onto in your report. "nastiness" - I liked to see more of that in the OL.

"nuanced" - I think that's a good description for KF. Fans would prefer "blunt", but nuanced is who he is.

I'm particularly interested in how Lainez is looking early on. At least, is he getting his fair share of time, or is it too early to know?
Too early to separate out the QBs. The learning right now of TLs philosophy is paramount. OL has to understand the concepts as well.

A few more weeks and things will bteak out more.

I know I beat this horse to death but can you give us a percentage guess on snaps from shotgun vs under center?
In the short window of team at the end of the first week of camp, it was about 50/50 RPO to under center.

There is SO MUCH going on with install this early . This is such a learning camp for the offense.

Add in the motioning and everything that needs to be processed and you are going to see quite a bit of clunkiness. Its far more the newness that takes adjustment, as it is not overly complex

Getting used to thinking about and playing to timing can be challenging at first.

The players are in the mode of thinking and learning. It takes time to smooth out.

I will note to not to read too much into the 50/50 and project that into the season. Lester has been clear that, like Hayden, he will scratch where it itches.

Did DHill appear to be in better shape?
Deacon is naturally a bigger guy. He looked about the same, maybe a little less round than what we saw in 2023. It would be unfair to judge him at this point.

I think he needs to get through the spring and then really dive into getting the offense down and leaning out through the summer program.

I'm not sold on him as a B1G QB, for everything that was evidenced last fall. But in the same breath, Marco is young and needs to take advantage of this time to improve as a passer.

Lester is looking for accuracy and efficiency, and it's not there yet. But, again, there is A LOT going on.

Would be optimal to gain a portal QB this spring to strengthen the competitiveness in the room. Not sure on the odds of that happening as roster management is pretty limited with the current numbers.

They are playing with the hand that has been dealt, which is all they can really do at this point.

Reactions: Torg and NevadaHawk
Too early to separate out the QBs. The learning right now of TLs philosophy is paramount. OL has to understand the concepts as well.

A few more weeks and things will bteak out more.
This will set things on fire: Deacon ran with the 1s, Marco with the 2s.

It's completely understandable because you pick up where you left off, and Tim needs time to teach, evaluate and articulate his thinking to KF.

As in he would like to see more of it, not that they are already showing it.

IMO, you either have a nasty streak inside you or you don't.

Not really a teachable skill.
I think you can get to some level of nastiness once you have confidence.

What Iowa is working on will thin out the box to a max of 7 most times. That's manageable. The thicker boxes they constantly faced last year were incredibly challenging and unmanageable.

It's like the OL had no base to work from - and this is NOT a shot at Barnett. Nothing was "normal" for them because of the ineptness and discombobulation of the offense in total.

The OL can be built up to an acceptable level, but it is going to take time and a lot of hard work and coaching.

I can agree with that to a degree.

But guys like Marshal Yanda, Brandon Scherff and Tyler Linderbaum we/are just nasty competitors who took every snap personally. Probably raised that way or just born with the nasty gene.
Agree with you on those examples. It was innate with those dudes.

It's spring, and hope spring eternal. Perhaps the nastiness can be instilled through reverse engineering? :)

I can agree with that to a degree.

But guys like Marshal Yanda, Brandon Scherff and Tyler Linderbaum we/are just nasty competitors who took every snap personally. Probably raised that way or just born with the nasty gene.
I mean, those are all really good examples and I don't necessarily disagree.

But you're also talking about 3 of the best lineman Iowa has ever had, let alone just under KF. Not really fair to hold everyone to that standard.

I mean, those are all really good examples and I don't necessarily disagree.

But you're also talking about 3 of the best lineman Iowa has ever had, let alone just under KF. Not really fair to hold everyone to that standard.
Sure, but if you don't have both the talent and the nasty, it's better that you have the nasty. I could name off a dozen kids with the talent, but lacked the nasty. None of them ever made All-Conference or were drafted.

Reactions: thunderstruck1

'Nuff said.
Great stuff! Thanks OP.

Well, if you replace nasty with just playing with a lot of aggression, I remember seeing videos when Wirfs first got there and BF was constantly on his ass telling him to stop being so nice. He turned out ok.

In the short window of team at the end of the first week of camp, it was about 50/50 RPO to under center.

There is SO MUCH going on with install this early . This is such a learning camp for the offense.

Add in the motioning and everything that needs to be processed and you are going to see quite a bit of clunkiness. Its far more the newness that takes adjustment, as it is not overly complex

Getting used to thinking about and playing to timing can be challenging at first.

The players are in the mode of thinking and learning. It takes time to smooth out.

I will note to not to read too much into the 50/50 and project that into the season. Lester has been clear that, like Hayden, he will scratch where it itches.
I know it was awhile back, but it was still big time BIG TEN football . . . When Hayden arrived, he took over a team that hadn't had a winning season in about 20 years. He was hired in December, and the following September his first Iowa team took the field against a good Indiana team, and the Hawkeyes looked like a well-oiled machine. There was no portal, no transfers, Hayden worked with the leftovers from the previous regime, and that started by turning a kid who had been relegated to 5th team D-back (to make room for the coach's son to play QB--sound familiar?) back into a QB--the starting QB.

Phil Seuss looked sharp as he repeatedly hit receivers on timing patterns, and Iowa moved the ball up and down the field, putting 29 points on the board by halftime. Fry, also a former college QB, turned a rag-tag bunch of nobodies into a competent offense in less than 9 months.

No excuse for Iowa not to realize similar results with an HC who's been in charge for a quarter century and and OC who may, in fact, know what the hell he's doing.

Deacon is naturally a bigger guy. He looked about the same, maybe a little less round than what we saw in 2023. It would be unfair to judge him at this point.

I think he needs to get through the spring and then really dive into getting the offense down and leaning out through the summer program.

I'm not sold on him as a B1G QB, for everything that was evidenced last fall. But in the same breath, Marco is young and needs to take advantage of this time to improve as a passer.

Lester is looking for accuracy and efficiency, and it's not there yet. But, again, there is A LOT going on.

Would be optimal to gain a portal QB this spring to strengthen the competitiveness in the room. Not sure on the odds of that happening as roster management is pretty limited with the current numbers.

They are playing with the hand that has been dealt, which is all they can really do at this point.
I'll say it again. If he really wanted to improve, help the team, be taken serious, he would know he's 1 snap away, and he would've made a drastic change.

What Iowa is working on will thin out the box to a max of 7 most times. That's manageable. The thicker boxes they constantly faced last year were incredibly challenging and unmanageable.
This was such an obvious (and frustrating) problem but Brian Ferentz seemed oblivious ….or too goddamn hardheaded to make adjustments.

I think this is going to be a rough year. How many other programs have brought in a new offensive scheme and didn’t struggle ?

Iowa is severely lacking on playmakers on offense. Our top playmakers are a twice injured QB, an injured TE, and a WR who had one TD catch and 40 dropped passes (i kid….)

I keep seeing predictions for a top 4 finish and even playoffs…..all based on the Iowa defense doing exactly the same as the last two years even tho we’re missing some top talent.

I think getting to 8 wins in 2024 with a new system would be pretty good. By end of the year we are seeing better cohesion on offense to give some hope going into 2025

• Wow
Reactions: HonkBIG10HonkHonk
I think this is going to be a rough year. How many other programs have brought in a new offensive scheme and didn’t struggle ?

Iowa is severely lacking on playmakers on offense. Our top playmakers are a twice injured QB, an injured TE, and a WR who had one TD catch and 40 dropped passes (i kid….)

I keep seeing predictions for a top 4 finish and even playoffs…..all based on the Iowa defense doing exactly the same as the last two years even tho we’re missing some top talent.

I think getting to 8 wins in 2024 with a new system would be pretty good. By end of the year we are seeing better cohesion on offense to give some hope going into 2025
I agree on the offense, PP has proven at this point they’re going to be a top 10-15 defense at minimum. I’ve questioned it too much in the past to keep doing so. Last year was the perfect example, lost two first round picks, additionally a starting LB, S and CB and still had an elite D.

Do our offensive / defensive line get into scraps during these training sessions? You always here about in NFL camps. The competitiveness of NFL players is off the charts & players fighting for livelihoods. Would love to hear of fights in Iowa camps... need to prove yourself and be alpha dogs.

flexing arnold schwarzenegger GIF

Well, if you replace nasty with just playing with a lot of aggression, I remember seeing videos when Wirfs first got there and BF was constantly on his ass telling him to stop being so nice. He turned out ok.
There are always exceptions ...I doubt an entire OL group would turn out that way

Reactions: Drinkin Buddy
I know it was awhile back, but it was still big time BIG TEN football . . . When Hayden arrived, he took over a team that hadn't had a winning season in about 20 years. He was hired in December, and the following September his first Iowa team took the field against a good Indiana team, and the Hawkeyes looked like a well-oiled machine. There was no portal, no transfers, Hayden worked with the leftovers from the previous regime, and that started by turning a kid who had been relegated to 5th team D-back (to make room for the coach's son to play QB--sound familiar?) back into a QB--the starting QB.

Phil Seuss looked sharp as he repeatedly hit receivers on timing patterns, and Iowa moved the ball up and down the field, putting 29 points on the board by halftime. Fry, also a former college QB, turned a rag-tag bunch of nobodies into a competent offense in less than 9 months.

No excuse for Iowa not to realize similar results with an HC who's been in charge for a quarter century and and OC who may, in fact, know what the hell he's doing.
A few notes:
  • That was a season kickoff game in September. This is March and a week into spring practice.
  • Iowa, with a first year head coach, had no film for Indiana to scout.
  • Iowa definitely surprised Lee Corso and Indiana in the first half, running out to a 26-3 lead behind Dennis Mosely's 4 TDs.
  • Indiana adjusted and outscored Iowa 27-0 as well as out gained them 322 - 97 in the second half, winning 30-26.
Personally, I don't want to realize similar results.

Iowa won more than 8 games the past 2 years with historically horrible offenses. If they win 8 games this year, it's a safe bet that the offense was at least as bad. I wouldn't call that "pretty good". I'd call it more shitty offense.

I'll say it again. If he really wanted to improve, help the team, be taken serious, he would know he's 1 snap away, and he would've made a drastic change.
I agree and I don't believe a person that allows himself to be that out of shape is a person that is serious about it. Just like we expect linemen or any other position to gain or lose weight, I would have thought there would be a strong conversation with him regarding this. I would rather our coaches have given him an ultimatum and to transfer opening up a spot. If an RPO is going to be successful it needs to also allow for a QB than can with the ball. This currently completely eliminates Hill. We NEED more out of the QB position than just throwing a ball.

Can it be any worse than the last vouple of years?

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Do our offensive / defensive line get into scraps during these training sessions? You always here about in NFL camps. The competitiveness of NFL players is off the charts & players fighting for livelihoods. Would love to hear of fights in Iowa camps... need to prove yourself and be alpha dogs.

flexing arnold schwarzenegger GIF
Very rarely.

A few notes:
  • That was a season kickoff game in September. This is March and a week into spring practice.
  • Iowa, with a first year head coach, had no film for Indiana to scout.
  • Iowa definitely surprised Lee Corso and Indiana in the first half, running out to a 26-3 lead behind Dennis Mosely's 4 TDs.
  • Indiana adjusted and outscored Iowa 27-0 as well as out gained them 322 - 97 in the second half, winning 30-26.
Personally, I don't want to realize similar results.
I thought his point was that things can turn around quickly, i.e., by the time of the start of the football season, not right now. I hope that's true. I don't want Iowa to waste another great defense on an offense struggling to find its footing all year long. The learning curve doesn't have to be immediate, but certainly can be sloped enough to be ready by the first game and improving thereafter. I don't think that's too much to ask. As Kirk likes to say, it's not rocket science. They're installing a new offense, not putting a man on Mars.

Last edited:
This will set things on fire: Deacon ran with the 1s, Marco with the 2s.

It's completely understandable because you pick up where you left off, and Tim needs time to teach, evaluate and articulate his thinking to KF.
A kindergarten flag football coach could see with 5minnof film that DH deserves to work with the 3s. If TL is the coach we have been lead to believe, DH wouldn't be with the 1s, regardless of where they ended. His philosophy should have already been implanted with KF during the interview process et al.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT