ADVERTISEMENT

IC bar name help

121 College St.'s lineage from the 70's to now goes:

River City Free Trade Zone --> Maxwell's --> College Street Club --> The Union Bar --> The Stuffed Olive / TapTap
You missed Carnaby Street and New Sensations.

Iowa City's Union Bar dissolves after more than 25 years
Apr 10, 2020 — Club in 1986, then New Sensations in 1990, then Carnaby Street in 1992, then the Union Bar in 1993. The Union Bar has had a good run of 27 years ...

Reactions: Pinehawk
Bro we were in the same class my friend but I didn’t graduate until 1986 as I was on the 5 year undergraduate track. I swore off drinking about a bazillion times after overindulgence at Woodfields. Between that and FAC @ Maxwells I’m just lucky to be alive to tell about it.
Hey man…we were on the same academic track. I graduated in 86 also on the five year plan. Loved it. We got to see Iowa in the Rosebowl as Freshman and again as seniors.

I heard there were some big ass fights there.

There were only a couple of what I'd call "big" fights that broke out when working there. For the most part, drunk guys would get heated up in the bar, get tossed outside, and the rough stuff happened in the Pedestrian Mall. Then they'd go to jail.

A couple of memories -

IC Ducks RC hosted their 7's Torney after party at the Fieldhouse in the late 80's/early 90's. They had a competition on the dance floor where a team of 7 had to "row the boat". 7 pitchers of beer per team, each participant had to chug the pitcher and then on to the next. First team to finish 7 pitchers "won". The dance floor was 6" deep in beer.

Maxwells- Back in the day if your softball team showed up in uniform post-game they had all you could drink $1 pitchers of beer. Went there a bunch.

Woodfields was a disco in the late 70’s. It changed when Urban Cowboy came out in 1980. There was some controversy because of their policy about checking I.D.s

Donnelly's has had consistently good wings for at least 12+ years and - besides the Vine - are the only ones I bother to get when back in town. For some reason - despite the simplicity - well prepared wings are not as common as they should be, and now they're rarely good value either.

A couple of memories -

IC Ducks RC hosted their 7's Torney after party at the Fieldhouse in the late 80's/early 90's. They had a competition on the dance floor where a team of 7 had to "row the boat". 7 pitchers of beer per team, each participant had to chug the pitcher and then on to the next. First team to finish 7 pitchers "won". The dance floor was 6" deep in beer.

Maxwells- Back in the day if your softball team showed up in uniform post-game they had all you could drink $1 pitchers of beer. Went there a bunch.
So Maxwell's was the location of Union Bar was? Those places have been so different in the inside. But anyways, kyou would bring your beer league team in with your uniforms and get $1 pitchers?

I was more of a Fitzy's guy, circa the early/mid 90s, but when doing the meat market thing the Union was my go to. I can't honestly recall how gross the Fieldhouse was, but the Union was pretty gross. Well, let's face it, they were all gross.
I’m guessing we spent a lot of time at Fitzy’s together. I lived on S. Dodge and S. Johnson for a year apiece and Fitzy’s was one of my primary stomping grounds.
I never hit the meat market bars. I played the long game at places like Joe’s or the Deadwood. Well, most every bar in town except the meat markets.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT