ADVERTISEMENT

I'd rather win ugly than lose in style...

torbee

HB King
Gold Member
Here is this week's TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Charlie Jones kickoff return fired up the Kinnick crowd.

Tory Brecht
Columnist

Has any Iowa team with a relatively gaudy 9-2 record heading into Thanksgiving ever been trusted - maybe even loved - less?

I came up with a phrase to describe this year’s version of the Hawkeyes, but as is the case frequently in this aesthetically displeasing but ultimately successful Iowa campaign, the language is a little “salty.”

This team is kind of shi$%y, but very gritty.

And I say that with fondness and admiration, not a sense of complaint.

There’s no hiding the warts. The offense sputters and flames out far too often. Opponents are allowed to hang around in games when they should be buried. Starts are slow, leads are blown. But usually, nine out of 11 times so far, the Hawkeyes scrape and scrap and claw and find a path to victory.

This may not be the world’s most exciting brand of football, and for fans who relish nothing more than grinding an opposing team’s face in the turf, it is wholly unsatisfactory. But you still have to admire it.
This past Saturday was more of the same. An improved-but-still-flawed Illinois squad, playing without the leadership of coach Bret Bielema, jumped out to a quick 10-point lead as the Hawkeyes looked sluggish and slow coming out of a senior day sendoff.

I won’t say I felt a second home loss was brewing, but the possibility of a humiliating home finale toe-stubbing to the Illini seemed plausible.

Until Charlie Jones took the team on his back and let his electric feet turn the entire game around.

When we look back on this odd season, I think we will recognize that a hidden strength of this team is having different dudes step up when things looked most dire. Charlie this last Saturday. Joe Evans with the game-ending strip sack against Minnesota. Nico Ragaini’s long touchdown reception against Penn State. You never know who is going to rise to the occasion and make the big play, but more often than not, someone does and Iowa holds on for the win.

It may not win any beauty contests, but finding new and unique ways to win football games week-after-week deserves credit. If you’d told any Iowa fan prior to the Illinois game that Alex Padilla would struggle to a mere 83 yards passing with one interception and no touchdowns, most would have predicted a loss. Instead, the mostly moribund running game resurfaced, with Tyler Goodson and freshman Gavin Williams combining for nearly 200 yards rushing and a touchdown. Throw in Caleb Shudak’s solid performance – hitting four of five critical field goals on a blustery day, missing only from 55-plus yards – and you have scrounged up yet another unique winning formula.

The fact Iowa can’t seem to establish a fixed identity, counterintuitively, might be a secret to its weird success in 2021. How do you prepare for a team that can find ways to beat you either running, passing, via special teams or spectacular defense? In some ways, the Hawks are like a college football hydra – cut off one head and another one rises up to bite you.

This makes the Black Friday game against Nebraska fascinating. Here you have allegedly the “best 3-8 team in the country” hosting what many believe is the worst 9-2 team in the country. This conventional wisdom was borne out in the opening line, which favored the team with a 1-7 conference record by 4 points over the team with a 6-2 conference record. With Monday’s surprise announcement that Adrian Martinez would not start at quarterback for the Cornhuskers, the line flipped to favoring Iowa, but only by a miniscule 1.5 points.

I don’t know if Vegas lines count as bulletin board material, but if I’m an Iowa player, I’m feeling a little disrespected. Apparently looking good while losing is more impressive than winning ugly?

At this point, conventional wisdom says your record reflects who you are. Saturday’s contest will be a good test of that theory. Based on results-to-date, this should be another knock-down, drag out slog with Iowa somehow finding a way to come out on top and Nebraska finding yet another novel way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.

Prior to the season, I predicted Iowa’s record to be what I thought at the time was an overly optimistic 9-3. Now, I’d be pretty disappointed if that’s the final win-loss record.
Ten wins is a damn good season, regardless of the potholes hit along the way. Let’s hope the roads in Lincoln are smooth enough to bring our Hawkeyes home at a cheerful 10-2.

Last edited:
Kirk takes winning ugly very seriously. He doesn’t give a f about style points. If it were up to him, football would be judged on the fundamentals; the team with the most sound fundamentals throughout the game, wins. Of course that would require some subjective measurement like judges judging ice skating events. Kirk would appreciate it though.

Kirk takes winning ugly very seriously. He doesn’t give a f about style points. If it were up to him, football would be judged on the fundamentals; the team with the most sound fundamentals throughout the game, wins. Of course that would require some subjective measurement like judges judging ice skating events. Kirk would appreciate it though.
Just Oklahoma drills for an hour straight and whoever has the fewest dudes put on their ass, wins.

• Haha
Reactions: Bank of Hawk
How can you write that headline and still remember the Lickliter years?

We’ll, there was a lot of that.
But, more 50-45 type wins than I care to remember.
I remember not caring if we lost 90-88 because I’d actually want to watch it.

A rose by any other name is still a rose. You'll also have to explain to me how you lose with style, a loss is a loss and is for losers.

Reactions: torbee
Hey, that's how Hayden won initially. Four field goals, for example, in The Big House.

But then he moved on, and the fans did too.

We’ll, there was a lot of that.
But, more 50-45 type wins than I care to remember.
I remember not caring if we lost 90-88 because I’d actually want to watch it.

McCaffrey's first year I was so thrilled it was an up and down tempo. Now his lack of D over the years is frustrating but the offenses was there a majority of the time.

Funny thing is, I think 2021 may be his best scoring team. We'll see as competition gets a better.

Reactions: Pinehawk
Well yes, but people want to be entertained by sports. If it’s not any fun to watch…less people will watch and attend games. Which generates apathy in a fan base.
That's fair...

On this topic.....the only Iowa football loss that I've ever re-watched was the 2015 MSU championship loss....those kids laid it all on the line that game, great effort.

Reactions: Chuck C
Well yes, but people want to be entertained by sports. If it’s not any fun to watch…less people will watch and attend games. Which generates apathy in a fan base.
Arguably the 2nd biggest game in Iowa history was only weeks ago and Iowa won. I think those fans need a dose of perspective and are maybe spoiled of winning. The fatigue for Dr Tom, for example, as you just referenced bb. When was Iowa's last Sweet 16 birth?

Reactions: Pinehawk
Just Oklahoma drills for an hour straight and whoever has the fewest dudes put on their ass, wins.
That sounds like Singletary when he coached the 49ers and then couldn't figure out why he was losing on Sundays.

The problem with winning ugly is that it often means your are not playing particularly well. If you were playing well your offense would complete passes, run effectively, and ice games by eating up clock in the 4th quarter. It would not look ugly.

If you are not doing those things, the losses will come, and your ceiling is low.

I’m not complaining one bit about this football team or season. I think they have overachieved this year and it’s been fun to come out on top of so many games that could have clearly gone either way.

I’m not complaining one bit about this football team or season. I think they have overachieved this year and it’s been fun to come out on top of so many games that could have clearly gone either way.
And I don't feel like Iowa has gotten a lot of lucky breaks or anything. They just find some way to win games, whether via forced turnovers, special teams spectacular plays even some long bombs on offense and this past Saturday, finally, a punishing run game.

The problem with winning ugly is that it often means your are not playing particularly well. If you were playing well your offense would complete passes, run effectively, and ice games by eating up clock in the 4th quarter. It would not look ugly.

If you are not doing those things, the losses will come, and your ceiling is low.

The losses aren’t coming because of the schedule. Iowa won’t play a good team in November

Three ties in one season too and DRAW! I think KF will be fondly remembered 20 years from now as Hayden is now. And they both should be revered IMO.
Yeah, quite likely for KF. Iowa is probably overdue for a rough patch.

OTOH there is currently a lot more parity in college football, so FXL type despair seems unlikely. On still another hand (a foot?) who knows what NIL will bring.

And I don't feel like Iowa has gotten a lot of lucky breaks or anything. They just find some way to win games, whether via forced turnovers, special teams spectacular plays even some long bombs on offense and this past Saturday, finally, a punishing run game.

It has been a strange year, that is for sure. One would have thought beating two top 10 teams, one top 15 team and utterly destroying a hyped MD team on the brink of top 25 on the road would feel more satisfying at the moment. It would have been nice to have beaten Purdue and enjoy the bye week as #2 or whatever they would have been ranked.

For whatever reason, I did have a lot of anxiety being ranked in the top 5 and knowing we have a very possible "check engine light" looming for the offense.

I’ll admit I was starting to bitch about Charlie bringing out kicks 5 yards deep then adding a hold call to start from the 18 or 10 but then he goes and totally redeems himself. If KF didn’t think it was worth it he likely would have put an end to it. I was afraid he broke his collar bone on the last one but came back for more. Tough hard nosed suburban kid…😊

Reactions: JupiterHawk
It has been a strange year, that is for sure. One would have thought beating two top 10 teams, one top 15 team and utterly destroying a hyped MD team on the brink of top 25 on the road would feel more satisfying at the moment. It would have been nice to have beaten Purdue and enjoy the bye week as #2 or whatever they would have been ranked.

For whatever reason, I did have a lot of anxiety being ranked in the top 5 and knowing we have a very possible "check engine light" looming for the offense.
It's not Iowa's fault that Iowa State, Indiana, Maryland and Penn State all shit the bed spectacularly.

Maybe it's BECAUSE Iowa demoralized them so badly! That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

It's not Iowa's fault that Iowa State, Indiana, Maryland and Penn State all shit the bed spectacularly.

Maybe it's BECAUSE Iowa demoralized them so badly! That's what I'm telling myself, anyway.
A lot of it depends on when you play a team in the year.

Here is this week's TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Tory Brecht
Columnist

Has any Iowa team with a relatively gaudy 9-2 record heading into Thanksgiving ever been trusted - maybe even loved - less?

I came up with a phrase to describe this year’s version of the Hawkeyes, but as is the case frequently in this aesthetically displeasing but ultimately successful Iowa campaign, the language is a little “salty.”

There’s no hiding the warts. The offense sputters and flames out far too often. Opponents are allowed to hang around in games when they should be buried. Starts are slow, leads are blown. But usually, nine out of 11 times so far, the Hawkeyes scrape and scrap and claw and find a path to victory.

This may not be the world’s most exciting brand of football, and for fans who relish nothing more than grinding an opposing team’s face in the turf, it is wholly unsatisfactory. But you still have to admire it.
This past Saturday was more of the same. An improved-but-still-flawed Illinois squad, playing without the leadership of coach Bret Bielema, jumped out to a quick 10-point lead as the Hawkeyes looked sluggish and slow coming out of a senior day sendoff.

I won’t say I felt a second home loss was brewing, but the possibility of a humiliating home finale toe-stubbing to the Illini seemed plausible.

Until Charlie Jones took the team on his back and let his electric feet turn the entire game around.

When we look back on this odd season, I think we will recognize that a hidden strength of this team is having different dudes step up when things looked most dire. Charlie this last Saturday. Joe Evans with the game-ending strip sack against Minnesota. Nico Ragaini’s long touchdown reception against Penn State. You never know who is going to rise to the occasion and make the big play, but more often than not, someone does and Iowa holds on for the win.

It may not win any beauty contests, but finding new and unique ways to win football games week-after-week deserves credit. If you’d told any Iowa fan prior to the Illinois game that Alex Padilla would struggle to a mere 83 yards passing with one interception and no touchdowns, most would have predicted a loss. Instead, the mostly moribund running game resurfaced, with Tyler Goodson and freshman Gavin Williams combining for nearly 200 yards rushing and a touchdown. Throw in Caleb Shudak’s solid performance – hitting four of five critical field goals on a blustery day, missing only from 55-plus yards – and you have scrounged up yet another unique winning formula.

The fact Iowa can’t seem to establish a fixed identity, counterintuitively, might be a secret to its weird success in 2021. How do you prepare for a team that can find ways to beat you either running, passing, via special teams or spectacular defense? In some ways, the Hawks are like a college football hydra – cut off one head and another one rises up to bite you.

This makes the Black Friday game against Nebraska fascinating. Here you have allegedly the “best 3-8 team in the country” hosting what many believe is the worst 9-2 team in the country. This conventional wisdom was borne out in the opening line, which favored the team with a 1-7 conference record by 4 points over the team with a 6-2 conference record. With Monday’s surprise announcement that Adrian Martinez would not start at quarterback for the Cornhuskers, the line flipped to favoring Iowa, but only by a miniscule 1.5 points.

I don’t know if Vegas lines count as bulletin board material, but if I’m an Iowa player, I’m feeling a little disrespected. Apparently looking good while losing is more impressive than winning ugly?

At this point, conventional wisdom says your record reflects who you are. Saturday’s contest will be a good test of that theory. Based on results-to-date, this should be another knock-down, drag out slog with Iowa somehow finding a way to come out on top and Nebraska finding yet another novel way to grab defeat from the jaws of victory.

Prior to the season, I predicted Iowa’s record to be what I thought at the time was an overly optimistic 9-3. Now, I’d be pretty disappointed if that’s the final win-loss record.
Ten wins is a damn good season, regardless of the potholes hit along the way. Let’s hope the roads in Lincoln are smooth enough to bring our Hawkeyes home at a cheerful 10-2.

Regarding lucky breaks, without Penn State’s QB going down it is very doubtful we win that game, which would completely change the feel of this season.

Heck, Maryland was moving the ball on us, then their top receiver fumbled inside the ten while being knocked out for the season. It went from a close game to a blow out in the span of a few minutes.

Regarding lucky breaks, without Penn State’s QB going down it is very doubtful we win that game, which would completely change the feel of this season.

Heck, Maryland was moving the ball on us, then their top receiver fumbled inside the ten while being knocked out for the season. It went from a close game to a blow out in the span of a few minutes.
Man, it's a shame for Penn State that their quarterback collapsed standing all by himself in the backfield I guess!

It has been a strange year, that is for sure. One would have thought beating two top 10 teams, one top 15 team and utterly destroying a hyped MD team on the brink of top 25 on the road would feel more satisfying at the moment. It

It would probably be more satisfying if it weren’t for the fact that none of those teams are currently ranked, so we actually have zero wins against ranked teams and two losses to unranked teams.

Here is this week's TwT:

Tuesdays with Torbee​

Tory Brecht
Columnist

Wholeheartedly agree Torbs! Well written.

Iowa Football 2021…

SHITTY….

GRITTY…

and TITTIES!!! Whoooop whoooop!

dd7ddff-b82c387d-345a-47df-ab69-23624fe1666a.gif

3vjs83.gif

973_1000.gif

Even the 57-yarder that Shudak missed wasn’t entirely his fault. The snap was a little low and it appeared that it took Gersonde an extra half-second to place it. That threw off Shudak’s timing just enough that he missed it.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I often wonder if any P5 conference basketball program has ever had a more cringe-inducing highlight.
It still angers me to this day that little John got to put on the Iowa uniform and play meaningful (kind of) minutes in Big Ten games.

You could go to the Fieldhouse on a random weeknight and find dozens of kids better at basketball than John Lickliter.

4 Field Goals, 1 Kick Off Return TD, 1 Pick-6 TD,
1 Rushing TD, and 3 PAT's. to beat Illinois.
We got only 1 TD when the offense was on the field.
So our defense and special teams helped out.

Bottom Line: Coach Ferentz will take a win anyway
he can get it from the defense, offense, special teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT