ADVERTISEMENT

Idea:

Hear a lot of people saying essentially more offense= more wins. Or why can't it be great defense and great offense? Well, it doesn't really work that way. It's not at all that simple, and certainly much easier said than done.

Sure, Iowa's offense could and should be better. Better offense can help win a game and can help a program overall.

But make no doubt, a defensive program is what Iowa chose to be a long time ago. When KF took over, Iowa didn't have the luxury of being able to expect to be great on offense and defense. Rather than being mediocre at both, a choice did have to be made to create an identity of how the program was to be built. The choice was made to build around strong defense and special teams.

Not many teams are actually great at offense and defense. Maybe Georgia these days. Michigan getting pretty good at both. Bama was great at both before going to the spread and no-huddle which has compromised their D. Same with OSU. Even so, all of those teams identified as defensive programs at the time. And Michigan's offense is more "conservative" than Iowa's.

Other than your handful of 5-star programs, I can't really think of a program that has been consistently great at both offense and defense. So the Iowa's of the world do have to choose between defense and offense, if they want to be able to excel at any side of the ball.

Kids nationally aren't lining up to go to Iowa. So you have to build through your instate talent. Iowa's instate talent can have some strong lineman, linebackers, and tight ends. There are also wrestlers made into lineman and fullbacks. Multi-sport athletes made into linebackers and tight ends. QB's made into safeties. And more tight ends made into lineman and linebackers. These are the type of players that Iowa has to build around every year, so that's how your team has to be built.

Can you see how trying to build Iowa into an air-raid program wouldn't make whole lot of sense? This should be common sense, really. You only can give so many scholarships. You only spend so many resources to try to recruit nationally. The staff knows that top end receiver talent isn't coming to Iowa. But they've built a strong enough defensive brand that they are able to use some resources pursuing higher defensive talent. Iowa gets so few special athletes. When landing one that can play either side of the ball, Iowa has consistently chosen to have that player play defense. Starting to see that Iowa really doesn't have the luxury to be great at both offense and defense? Slightly factoring in competition from ISU for instate players, Iowa has to fight like hell even to be great defensively.

So quite often, yes, a choice does have to be made between defense and offense. This is also true within a game. Defense is chosen over offense all the time. Really what's being chosen is field position. But that usually takes the form of turning it over to the defense. There's a reason teams punt from out of their own territory. Welcome to football.

Defending and conquering territory is the basis of almost every sport. As sports originated to mimic war, defending the homeland is of high priority across sports. The lack of value placed on this fundamental sporting principle, by the way, is what's wrong with Fran's basketball formula.

Field position is the game of football. Maybe not as much as it used to be in places like the NFL. But they're still playing the field position game too. The only places where field position is being completely disrespected are in the Big12 and video games.

Kirk has an intimate understanding of field position. He values and understands it so much to have gone across the world for a world-class punter. Last season, within 30 seconds of being asked about upcoming opponent Michigan, KF was talking about how good their special teams were and noting a 5th yr long-snapper. This man truly has a special understanding of the game.

I'm not so sure that a better offense would have changed much in the win column last season. Maybe the ISU or Illinois game. Yes, factors that led to having to field an inept offense happened on Kirk's watch. But I'm not sure there's another coach in the country that could have squeezed that success out of that team. And he did it by completing leaning into the strength of the team that existed on defense and special teams. 3 or 4 defensive players were chosen for team captains week after week. Forever coaches have claimed that more games are lost than won. Clearly last season KF took the approach that everything was going to revolve around the ability to win the game with defense and special teams.

So in the name of field position, defense gets chosen over offense constantly. It's what the game of football is. Last season proved games can be won with virtually no offense. Can the games be won with virtually no defense? Not consistently, and if so, certainly not at Iowa.

Again, a lot of it goes back to who we are as a state. And much of it also is geographical. Why do Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU all tend to compliment sound defense with running the ball? Because the weather gets cold and windy and wet. You can't expect to build your program around small speedsters and QBs with the arm strength of Dan McGwire. Even if you get those guys here some of them are going to leave. Watch the rude welcoming USC and UCLA will get playing in 15° weather with no defense.

Yes, Iowa needs to get back on track offensively. Probably a couple small changes could help. But it's never going to look radically different. If that's what you're looking for you're lacking a measure understanding and common sense. Iowa has to be Iowa. Recruiting dynamics are what they are and the building blocks of Iowa's program lie in it's in-state talent. Realistically, why would a state like Iowa be expected to dominate in any sport other than wrestling, which they have done?

The makeup of Iowa's program is what it is. It is a defensive program. It will remain a defensive program. And it is correct for it to be a defensive program. To expect it to be radically different is quite absurd actually.

Get off the constant negativity. There have been plenty of aspects of Hawkeye football to be absolutely giddy about for 20+ years now. Enjoy them and support them. Their effort alone is more than worthy of your support. These guys work their butts off. And they play the game the right way.

The contrast of much of the crap "football" that's being played in a lot of places these days gives an even greater appreciation for what Iowa brings to the table. You know what doesn't make any noise? A pillow fight. Listen to what an Iowa football game sounds like. You hear the pads pop. You hear the leveraging for each inch. You hear the game being played through the whistle. I watched a Big12 game last season in which the defensive back and the ball carrying receiver BOTH decelerated as approaching each other and TURNED DOWN the collision before dancing together out of bounds. It was simply appalling.

Enjoy the treasure that is Hawkeye football folks!
I only read a part of your “book” post, but yes…Iowa can have good defense and offense at the same time. Just think back to the Drew Tate, Brad Banks, and even the Ricky Stanzi eras.

This past season yes, not a great record over the last 5 years though. Or 10 for that matter. And 146 yards with a pick 6 can't be the gameplan.
No, a win was the gameplan , and it was achieved.

You can pick out any one negative thing and try to make a point out of it. How's Iowa over the last 10 vs. PSU or Michigan? 4-6 vs PSU, 5-5 vs Michigan. More than respectable. How's Iowa been doing in their other 3 rivalry games? 21 out of their last 23

You can pick out any one negative thing and try to make a point out of it. How's Iowa over the last 10 vs. PSU or Michigan? 4-6 vs PSU, 5-5 vs Michigan. More than respectable. How's Iowa been doing in their other 3 rivalry games? 21 out of their last 23
It's much easier when the one negative thing is an entire third of the team. I'm not complaining about a win, but for whatever reason the offense seems completely befuddled against the badger front. Nearly every year.

It's much easier when the one negative thing is an entire third of the team. I'm not complaining about a win, but for whatever reason the offense seems completely befuddled against the badger front. Nearly every year.

I do agree with this!

I only read a part of your “book” post, but yes…Iowa can have good defense and offense at the same time. Just think back to the Drew Tate, Brad Banks, and even the Ricky Stanzi eras.
This is true. It can happen for season or two.

But again, other than 5-star schools, you really don't see any teams that are good at both year after year. Most teams don't even get to a point where they are good at one side of the ball every year.

Yes, Iowa can get better on offense. But many fans are missing much of the picture when asking simply why Iowa can't be good at both. It's not a "just add water" recipe.

The offense can get better but to expect drastic changes doesn't make a lot of sense from the few angles I discussed. Plus, it may not be possible at Iowa to completely overhaul the offense without compromising the defense. At no point do you mess with the formula to the point it compromises the D. So you remain great at defense and try to get back to at least competent on offense.

Iowa has a good formula. They're trying to make it a little better. Some years are better than others. A product plenty cheer worthy

Reactions: cmhawks99

4-6 is more than respectable?

Last edited:
Is 6-4 accurate? That’s certainly respectable.
I have no clue…..just wondering where your line is?

I’d say since many of the people in your camp, think Penn State is a “better program” that there isn’t a huge difference between 4–6, 5–5, or 6–4… I just wanted to check where you lie!

For example, I wonder how Penn State fans feel about 6-4? It’s a relative and depends on perspective?!

Well I’d like to think the overwhelming majority of us would have the opinion of:

Against Penn State…

4-6 is far from “more than respectable” and disappointing

5-5 is Ok. Obviously the definition of average but not super disappointing

6-4 is better than average and “respectable”

Fairly simple, mainstream assessment.

Well I’d like to think the overwhelming majority of us would have the opinion of:

Against Penn State…

4-6 vs NW is frustrating, but considering we are 10-8 vs PSU since KF got there, I’d expect an ebb and flow of wins!

Against Penn State…

You are right that a huge majority of football fans are close to clueless about most things football

LOL. Right…..your the guy who wants the winningest HC we’ve had fired (better record last 10, than first) so he can see 5-wide fly routes!
Not fired as such. More like "encouraged" to ride off into the coaching sunset due to fossilization.
DISCLAIMER: Ageism isn't a factor in this opinion as The Capt was in JH when I was in HS.

Not fired as such. More like "encouraged" to ride off into the coaching sunset due to fossilization.
DISCLAIMER: Ageism isn't a factor in this opinion as The Capt was in JH when I was in HS.

So I’m your scenario, the defensive coaches aren’t “mad” and therefore stay and the new HC agrees to keep them, right?

Now what is the likelihood of that happening? On a scale of 1 to 10? Almost zero?

PS….it can still be ageism even if you personally are 210…after all you referenced “fossilization”

However, unlike The Capt, fossilization hasn't set in yet with me.

Let’s go back to my aforementioned question… Why in the hell do you think Kirks defensive staff would stay on if he left or the new coaching staff would keep them? And is it normal for “fossilized people” to get better at the end of their career as far as wins and losses?

Let’s go back to my aforementioned question… Why in the hell do you think Kirks defensive staff would stay on if he left or the new coaching staff would keep them? And is it normal for “fossilized people” to get better at the end of their career as far as wins and losses?
Potentially a new HC hire, recognizing that Phil and LeVar are exceptionally good, would throw much $$$$$$ at them in a concerted effort to get them to stay.

The Capt is getting better?????
Phil & LeVar are, The Capt ain't.

Casting Junior out into the Outer Darkness MIGHT help but the bottom line is that even Junior is hamstrung by our prehistoric Offense.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Potentially a new HC hire, recognizing that Phil and LeVar are exceptionally good, would throw much $$$$$$ at them in a concerted effort to get them to stay.

Casting Junior out into the Outer Darkness MIGHT help but the bottom line is that even Junior is hamstrung by our prehistoric Offense.

Thank you for finally answering this… Here’s the deal I will bet you $500, I’m really not a gambler but this isn’t much of a gamble. That there is no way in hell Lavar woods, and Phil Parker are going to stay with a new coach and it’s just as unlikely a new coach would keep them, so now where are you going brother?

I’ll also make you another wager and give you a chance to get that 500 back because this is a little bit more of a gamble. But I’ll wager you another $500 that the next staff does worse than “old Kirk”… You have absolutely zero appreciation for what is going on with this Iowa football program just because you’re pissed about the offense!

Surely you’re smart enough to understand that Phil Parker thinks “old Kirk” is a hell of a coach, right…

How do you respond to that??

Last edited:
Thank you for finally answering this… Here’s the deal I will bet you $500, I’m really not a gambler but this isn’t much of a gamble. That there is no way in hell Lavar woods, and Phil Parker are going to stay with a new coach and it’s just as unlikely a new coach would keep them, so now where are you going brother?

I’ll also make you another wager and give you a chance to get that 500 back because this is a little bit more of a gamble. But I’ll wager you another $500 that the next staff does worse than “old Kirk”… You have absolutely zero appreciation for what is going on with this Iowa football program just because you’re pissed about the offense!

Surely you’re smart enough to understand that Phil Parker thinks “old Kirk” is a hell of a coach, right…

How do you respond to that??
And if Phil & Levar choose not to stay, so be it.
If they were retained, it would be ideal, but if not, life goes on.
As far as 500 is concerned, to quote the Big Bopper, "I ain't got NO money!".

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
And if Phil & Levar choose not to stay, so be it.
If they were retained, it would be ideal, but if not, life goes on.
As far as 500 is concerned, to quote the Big Bopper, "I ain't got NO money!".

I get it, but you are playing loose & fast with my favorite football team that has won the 16th most games since 2013 all because you don’t like the offense and that is dumb!!

I get it I hate the offense too, but that is behind ignorant & irritates the hell out of me!!

I get it, but you are playing loose & fast with my favorite football team that has won the 16th most games since 2013 all because you don’t like the offense and that is dumb!!

I get it I hate the offense too, but that is behind ignorant & irritates the hell out of me!!
Might I suggest Peppermint Schnapps as a good calming agent.
It took me YEARS to get over Evashevski leaving; it wasn't worth it, I should have just moved on.
So as not to replicate the angst (bad for the stomach), I made the call (as mentioned) to follow the Waldorf Warriors until The Capt goes away. I need to keep my eyesight as long as I can (semi-elderly, you know).

PP and Levar could make more money elsewhere right now. For some reason they stick with some fossil. Go figure

Might I suggest Peppermint Schnapps as a good calming agent.
It took me YEARS to get over Evashevski leaving; it wasn't worth it, I should have just moved on.
So as not to replicate the angst (bad for the stomach), I made the call (as mentioned) to follow the Waldorf Warriors until The Capt goes away. I need to keep my eyesight as long as I can (semi-elderly, you know).

LOL…good for you and I mean it. I don’t agree with you on Iowa football per se, at least as far as the totality of the program, but you shouldn’t watch things that irritate the shit out of you and we both can agree. This staff struggles mightily when it comes to offensive football.

Reactions: Bishop1971
LOL…good for you and I mean it. I don’t agree with you on Iowa football per se, at least as far as the totality of the program, but you shouldn’t watch things that irritate the shit out of you and we both can agree. This staff struggles mightily when it comes to offensive football.
And yet i feel like this season is going to be really great. We've obviously sucked, especially the last 2 years but I'm more excited about the offense than I've been in years. Also love the hot chocolate/schnapps thing from my college football days. That's what i always put in my bota.

Sorry, not changing teams ever for any reason.

Bishop, you and I are long lost Kin. With that said I wish like hell I could switch allegiances, and here is why… I don’t have a favorite pro team. I don’t have a favorite pro basketball team. I don’t have a favorite pro anything. I am an Iowa Hawkeye through and through and in a moment of brazen honesty winning games 7 to 4 is a mindfvcjk I will say, but I am not stupid enough to not realize we still have a pretty good thing going for us!!

So if all of a sudden 6-6 becomes our norm?! I to will want Kirk Ferentz gone. But this program produces a lot of talent. I’m assuming eventually, if nothing else, they will accidentally ****ing figure it out.

I don’t think people get it. Hayden Fry was a hell of a coach, and I am not going to compare the two right now, I’ve done that before but we have never had a roster full of total talent, especially on defense like we do now.!

Our offense just happens to suck dog shit and yes, it is Kirks fault, even more so than his son! But I’d have to imagine Kurt does have some ego, so he certainly has plenty of motivation to figure this shit out!!

Bishop, you and I are long lost Kin. With that said I wish like hell I could switch allegiances, and here is why… I don’t have a favorite pro team. I don’t have a favorite pro basketball team. I don’t have a favorite pro anything. I am an Iowa Hawkeye through and through and in a moment of brazen honesty winning games 7 to 4 is a mindfvcjk I will say, but I am not stupid enough to not realize we still have a pretty good thing going for us!!

So if all of a sudden 6-6 becomes our norm?! I to will want Kirk Ferentz gone. But this program produces a lot of talent. I’m assuming eventually, if nothing else, they will accidentally ****ing figure it out.

I don’t think people get it. Hayden Fry was a hell of a coach, and I am not going to compare the two right now, I’ve done that before but we have never had a roster full of total talent, especially on defense like we do now.!

Our offense just happens to suck dog shit and yes, it is Kirks fault, even more so than his son! But I’d have to imagine Kurt does have some ego, so he certainly has plenty of motivation to figure this shit out!!
I agree. KF really wants this o to work and I'm pretty sure for himself more than for his kid. He's a competitive guy. I don't watch anything pro either. I have no teams in any pro sport but root for former Hawkeyes to play well. I can't even tell you who won the super bowl. Or who played in it. It's just the Hawkeyes for me and I can't stand behind a 500 team either. We must be related in a previous life.

I agree. KF really wants this o to work and I'm pretty sure for himself more than for his kid. He's a competitive guy. I don't watch anything pro either. I have no teams in any pro sport but root for former Hawkeyes to play well. I can't even tell you who won the super bowl. Or who played in it. It's just the Hawkeyes for me and I can't stand behind a 500 team either. We must be related in a previous life.

Exactly me… I like the Chiefs because my father, who is deceased, loved the Chiefs, I watch baseball in the postseason a little as long as I can get behind the teams that are in the postseason. I enjoy hockey live because “live@ it is an incredible sport. I sometimes watch pro basketball, but very rarely, I am a college fan. And although I love the Iowa Hawkeye basketball team, they are oddly more frustrating to me because they can’t guard a cement block.

I have apologized multiple times to my children who are Iowa Hawkeye fans because it is frustrating sometimes being a fan of Iowa, but in all honesty is that really all that much different than everybody else that has an allegiance?

Idea:
(1) Since there are those on here (you know who you are) who can live with the current Pro Style offense, and
(2) there are those of us on here (we know who we are) that want to migrate to a Spread offense (like most of the First World), and both camps are entrenched,
(3) could we compromise on the old, great East Waterloo Wishbone (which I actually witnessed while at ISTC)? It would help our problematic OLine.

Idea:
(1) Since there are those on here (you know who you are) who can live with the current Pro Style offense, and
(2) there are those of us on here (we know who we are) that want to migrate to a Spread offense (like most of the First World), and both camps are entrenched,
(3) could we compromise on the old, great East Waterloo Wishbone (which I actually witnessed while at ISTC)? It would help our problematic OLine.
That’s good stuff…I’m convinced the wishbone still works!!

That’s good stuff…I’m convinced the wishbone still works!!
The late 60s/early 70s East teams were not the biggest teams around. But they were quick and ran the Wishbone to perfection. The Oline simply didn't have to sustain blocks near as long. They were THE Show in CF/Waterloo.

The late 60s/early 70s East teams were not the biggest teams around. But they were quick and ran the Wishbone to perfection. The Oline simply didn't have to sustain blocks near as long. They were THE Show in CF/Waterloo.

Interestingly, enough, the more questions you ask about the person you’re evaluating, the more likely, you agree, more often than not!

With that said, I’ll challenge you to consider our offense isn't antiquated, but the way it is Coached/taught seems to be disconnected to our results!

Idea:
Not long ago Bama had a dominant D for a decade or so. Not long ago OSU had one of the stingiest defenses in the country for decades on end. Both programs have absolutely elite recruiting brands, facilities, and coaching. How is it even possible for such dominance to fade virtually over night for both programs' D? Just mind blowing.

Turns out, the kryptonite to a dominant D with elite resources, is their own team deploying a spread offense. Neither defense has been dominant since their offense went to spread. To compliment their D's even less, both programs and especially OSU have gone to a heavy dose of no-huddle.

Iowa going to spread would be the absolute kiss of death. What most fans don't understand is using a spread offense compromises your defense every day in practice. 1's have to go against 1's in practice to get any better. Every practice rep adjusted to account for defending the spread takes away from a rep that could be put towards building a D that at least has a chance to be dominant.

There are enough teams in the Big Ten still not using spread, that it makes sense for Iowa to stick with it's traditional D. Also, if Iowa went to spread and continued defending it with just their base D in practice, it wouldn't give the offense a realistic look to practice against. So largely, within a program the offense and defense end up married to each other.

Game theory and common sense would suggest that by no means do you compromise the dominant defense in any way. Last season certainly provided heavy proof to this way of thought.

The one reason that Iowa has been good over the last 20 years is that they've committed to simply doing what they do on D. There have been a couple minor adjustments to the D over the years. But largely, Iowa has committed to being who they are on D, regardless of varying circumstances that can faced.

Iowa will again lead the country in interceptions this season. They will do this because they are almost never out of position. They are coached rep after rep to properly execute something that schematically is quite simple. They can get close to mastering a D that always has all points of the field covered. So when opposing coaches insist on running high degree of difficulty passes play after play, inevitably a ball will get tipped, or a miscommunication will happen between a receiver and QB. And inevitably, the Hawks will have a defender in the area to make the pick.

Points saved are just as valuable as points scored. And as long as Cooper and X are Hawks, the defense and special teams will continue to do some scoring of its own. Those points count too.

There are only so many reps and practice time allowed these days. Why would you want to take reps away from something you know you can build into dominance? This, combined with reasons I've discussed earlier in the thread, shed light on the fact that Iowa going to spread probably isn't possible without compromising a dominant D.

Whether they knew it or not, Bama and OSU became offensive programs rather than defensive programs the moment they chose to install a spread offense. For them, they can get away with it. Points scored are just a valuable as points saved. They have the resources to simply outscore people and remain at the top of the country.

Iowa has to be who they are. They have to build around their instate talent. It doesn't make sense to expect Iowa to have an abundance of fast receivers and mild weather to go out there a sling the ball around. Those entrenched in wanting a spread offense are entrenched in something that makes absolutely no sense at all

Last edited:
Not long ago Bama had a dominant D for a decade or so. Not long ago OSU had one of the stingiest defenses in the country for decades on end. Both programs have absolutely elite recruiting brands, facilities, and coaching. How is it even possible for such dominance to fade virtually over night for both programs? Just mind blowing.

Turns out, the kryptonite to a dominant D with elite resources, is their own team deploying a spread offense. Neither defense has been dominant since their offense went to spread. To compliment their D's even less, both programs and especially OSU have gone to a heavy dose of no-huddle.

Iowa going to spread would be the absolute kiss of death. What most fans don't understand is using a spread offense compromises your defense every day in practice. 1's have to go against 1's in practice to get any better. Every practice rep adjusted to account for defending the spread takes away from a rep that could be put towards building a D that at least has a chance to be dominant.

There are enough teams in the Big Ten still not using spread, that it makes sense for Iowa to stick with it's traditional D. Also, if Iowa went to spread and continued defending it with just their base D in practice, it wouldn't give the offense a realistic look to practice against. So largely, within a program the offense and defense end up married to each other.

Game theory and common sense would suggest that by no means do you compromise the dominant defense in any way. Last season certainly provided heavy proof to this way of thought.

The one reason that Iowa has been good over the last 20 years is that they've committed to simply doing what they do on D. There have been a couple minor adjustments to the D over the years. But largely, Iowa has committed to being who they are on D, regardless of varying circumstances that can faced.

Iowa will again lead the country in interceptions this season. They will do this because they are almost never out of position. They are coached rep after rep to properly execute something that schematically is quite simple. They can get close to mastering a D that always has all points of the field covered. So when opposing coaches insist on running high degree of difficulty passes play after play, inevitably a ball will get tipped, or a miscommunication will happen between a receiver and QB. And inevitably, the Hawks will have a defender in the area to make the pick.

Points saved are just as valuable as points scored. And as long as Cooper and X are Hawks, the defense and special teams will continue to do some scoring of its own. Those points count too.

There are only so many reps and practice time allowed these days. Why would you want to take reps away from something you know you can build into dominance? This, combined with reasons I've discussed earlier in the thread, shed light on the fact that Iowa going to spread probably isn't possible without compromising a dominant D.

Whether they know it or not, Bama and OSU became offensive programs rather than defensive programs the moment they chose to install a spread offense. For them, they can get away with it. Points scored are just a valuable as points saved. They have the resources to simply outscore people and remain at the top of the country.

Iowa has to be who they are. They have to build around their instate talent. It doesn't make sense to expect Iowa to have an abundance of fast receivers and mild weather to go out there a sling the ball around. Those entrenched in wanting a spread offense are entrenched in something that makes absolutely no sense at all
Great post!

Not long ago Bama had a dominant D for a decade or so. Not long ago OSU had one of the stingiest defenses in the country for decades on end. Both programs have absolutely elite recruiting brands, facilities, and coaching. How is it even possible for such dominance to fade virtually over night for both programs' D? Just mind blowing.

Whether they knew it or not, Bama and OSU became offensive programs rather than defensive programs the moment they chose to install a spread offense. For them, they can get away with it. Points scored are just a valuable as points saved. They have the resources to simply outscore people and remain at the top of the country.

No, no, no…. Going 5 wide will have no impact on the defense. Quick 3 and outs will have no impact on the defense.

For those sarcastically challenged (more than I ever expected) this is sarcasm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT