ADVERTISEMENT

If the WiFi does not work at Wells Fargo Arena, how bad will Des Moines get slammed?

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I hear the WiFi is terrible in Wells Fargo Arena. I hope they have come up with a solution for the next 4-5 days, otherwise things could get very ugly. Kansas, Kentucky and Indiana fans will make some noise about this, guaranteed!

It still puzzles me that a brand new arena has such horrible WiFi.

I hear the WiFi is terrible in Wells Fargo Arena. I hope they have come up with a solution for the next 4-5 days, otherwise things could get very ugly. Kansas, Kentucky and Indiana fans will make some noise about this, guaranteed!

I've never heard that about WF Arena, but if true, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Reporters don't plug-in to post stories anymore. Everything is wireless. The fans are one thing, pissing off hundreds of reporters won't yield good results.

Reactions: Auger
What ever did people do before cell phones/tablets/Internet? I'm only 31 and remember when all of it wasn't around.

Try to strike up a conversation with a fellow basketball fan sitting next to you even if they root for another team. Go for a walk and soak in the atmosphere etc.

This age of instant gratification and need for entertainment is detrimental. At Valentines steak dinner with my lady I had to shake my head at all the couples that were on their phone's. Put the Damn thing in your pocket people! Ha

The events center has pretty much conceded that it won't be great this year, but will be much better in a few years when they hopefully host again

I've never heard that about WF Arena, but if true, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Reporters don't plug-in to post stories anymore. Everything is wireless. The fans are one thing, pissing off hundreds of reporters won't yield good results.

Dochterman of the Gazette mentioned how bad it was and he hoped they had the issue resolved for this week (at least).

I've heard grumblings that Des Moines will receive this largest amount of media then any of the other hosts for the fist weekend. Kansas, Kentucky and Indiana are said to be all in the top 10 for college basketball media so watch out if there are wifi issues. This could be the only time Des Moines or Iowa for that matter gets the dance if it pisses off the media.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
You would think WFA would be able to rent the necessary equipment for the week to have reliable Wi-Fi.

The events center has pretty much conceded that it won't be great this year, but will be much better in a few years when they hopefully host again

I think it's funny that they knew of the tournament for over a year and couldn't fix the problem. Run some damn coax and set up some access points, people. I'm pretty sure this is something any decent tech could design in no time and field techs could hammer out

I read somewhere on Twitter that the networking guy at Wells Fargo was approved to buy a new WiFi setup before tourney time. Let's hope it pans out.

Yeah its not very often a first weekend host gets teams like Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana and UCONN all at once. The media in DSM will be crazy. If the 2nd RD plays out Kansas vs UCONN and Indiana vs UCONN those two games will be the biggest Saturday games. I can see bad wifi being a heavily talked about topic if it happens.

What ever did people do before cell phones/tablets/Internet? I'm only 31 and remember when all of it wasn't around.

Try to strike up a conversation with a fellow basketball fan sitting next to you even if they root for another team. Go for a walk and soak in the atmosphere etc.

This age of instant gratification and need for entertainment is detrimental. At Valentines steak dinner with my lady I had to shake my head at all the couples that were on their phone's. Put the Damn thing in your pocket people! Ha
Must be connected at all times.

The problem has been fixed for the media. Their wifi has been greatly improved and will be fine.

It has not been fixed for the fans and will be addressed down the road.

If that is the only thing people have to bitch about DM will get another tournament again and it will be fixed for fans too by then.

Yeah its not very often a first weekend host gets teams like Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana and UCONN all at once. The media in DSM will be crazy. If the 2nd RD plays out Kansas vs UCONN and Indiana vs UCONN those two games will be the biggest Saturday games. I can see bad wifi being a heavily talked about topic if it happens.

I take it UCONN is good enough to have 2 entries into the tourney? I can't wait for the Championship match of UCONN v UCONN.

Reactions: FranklinHawk
Wifi seems like such a simple thing to accommodate for a venue of this type. It's not like they found out last week they were hosting the event.

Its for the media genius.

I think it's funny that they knew of the tournament for over a year and couldn't fix the problem. Run some damn coax and set up some access points, people. I'm pretty sure this is something any decent tech could design in no time and field techs could hammer out
Coax ain't gonna cut it. Probably got coax now. They need Cat 5E or Cat 6.

Reactions: gojojo
Shouldn't get slammed at all. WiFi was terrible in Seattle last year for the tourney and also terrible at the Rose Bowl this year. If sporting venues in Seattle and LA don't get good coverage I doubt Des Moines will be bashed too much.

It is the E. coli at Pizza Ranch that will be the city's Achilles heel.

I agree! Sheesh, people....pay attention to the world around you and get off your stupid phone. What is so all-fired important that you have to keep looking at a tiny screen all the time?

I had the same experience when out with my wife for our Valentines steak dinner. There was a couple sitting behind us...both were on their phones the entire time (except when eating). Another couple...the wife was on her phone the entire time.

Wells Fargo actually upgraded their wireless this winter specifically to accommodate for the NCAA tournament. The media have full acesss to wifi on the new system. The NCAA also required Wells Fargo Arena to provide a hard-line network connection to each media member in their seats in the arena as a "backup". They are also providing hard-line connections in the media areas.

People need to realize that Wells Fargo Arena has never provided "public" wifi to the general public. The wireless system has always been for staff and media only.

Yeah, WTF. So, we knew we were hosting this for over a year, but NEXT time, yes NEXT time we will be ready for it.... ???

Uh, if you suck at hosting THIS time, there won't BE a NEXT time.

Derp.

Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
Yeah, WTF. So, we knew we were hosting this for over a year, but NEXT time, yes NEXT time we will be ready for it.... ???

Uh, if you suck at hosting THIS time, there won't BE a NEXT time.

Derp.

i agree. most modern venues have WiFi; I consider WFA a modern arena. next time WFA puts in a bid and they are up against an arena that does have WiFi, that might be one of the factors where WFA is not chosen as a host city.

venues now a-days need to be fan friendly. simple as that.

rs_1024x759-151005162757-1024-woman-no-cell-phone-black-mass.ls10515_copy.jpg

Seeing this photo awhile back changed the way I feel about cell phones. If the wife and I are out and about the cell phones stay in the car. Living life and experiencing things through a phone screen is depressing as all get out.

Reactions: Myvue

Hey pal, you know the rules.

Pic?

I had the same experience when out with my wife for our Valentines steak dinner. There was a couple sitting behind us...both were on their phones the entire time (except when eating). Another couple...the wife was on her phone the entire time.

I think that first couple was my GF and me. We couldn't get over how the couple next to us kept staring. We whispered about it to each other...how uncomfortable it made us. It was hard to eat our food. It creeped us out so much that we started texting all of our friends about it.

Reactions: hawksauce
I blame Iowa State since they are the host school! Perhaps WFA can blame them and Drake can be the host school next time! LOL

Must be connected at all times.

For the sports media, they do. Most of these guys are posting on Twitter and other places real-time as the game is going on. If they can't, it has a negative impact on their product.

If you have ever been to carver or Kinnick for games and try to use your phone you really can't. It really sucks if you want to look on Twitter for other scores and writers thoughts.
Do the fans really need wifi? If you have a smart phone, don't you already have internet access to post pics, etc.

Do the fans really need wifi? If you have a smart phone, don't you already have internet access to post pics, etc.
I am usually not able to connect to the Internet via cellular when I'm at sporting events. Maybe that's just because I have Sprint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT