ADVERTISEMENT

If you remove man's convoluted religion and religious procedure and just focused on Jesus' message

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002
what are your thoughts?

Scripturally His platform was:

Love God.
Love your neighbor as yourself.
Forgive others who have wronged you.
Love your enemies.
Ask God for forgiveness of your sins.

Socially His platform was:

Take care of the poor
He elevated the position of women
He challenged religious law at every turn
He challenged social status (What self-respecting leader would go to parties with prostitutes and swindlers)

Most of the discussion I see here are either does a god exist or not or a challenge of Christian belief systems and their consistent hypocrisy. But what about Jesus himself...he was controversial for His time, but in many ways He most certainly was not this white conservative as many want to see him as. He was very progressive for His time. Thoughts?

Last edited:
what are your thoughts?

Love God.
Love your enemies.

Take care of the poor
He challenged social status (What self-respecting leader would go to parties with prostitutes and swindlers)

Most of the discussion I see here are either does a god exist or not or a challenge of Christian belief systems and their consistent hypocrisy. But what about Jesus himself...he was controversial for His time, but in many ways He most certainly was not this White Republican as many want to see him as. He was very progressive and liberal. Thoughts?
Yes all of this. The definition of hypocrisy is an Evangelical Republican. Especially a Trump supporter.

Last edited:
Stop making Christianity political. The problem is many claim to be Christian when they’re really not. Each political party uses it for their gain. I’m all for everyone coming to know God, but not using it for gain unless it’s for God’s gain in more disciples.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
what are your thoughts?

Love God.
Love your enemies.

Take care of the poor

Most of the discussion I see here are either does a god exist or not or a challenge of Christian belief systems and their consistent hypocrisy. But what about Jesus himself...he was controversial for His time, but in many ways He most certainly was not this White Republican as many want to see him as. He was very progressive and liberal. Thoughts?

Yeabut.......his platform on the gays was just brutal.

It's like in Jesus 4:10 (somewhere in the NT I'm sure)
"No man on man love"
"No fags"

Doesn't say a lot about girl on girl action, so that might be ok.

Yes all of this. The definition of hypocrisy is a Evangelical Republican. Especially a Trump supporter.
The definition of hypocrisy is a politician. They only say what they need to for votes. They don’t really care once they’re part of the establishment. And they have to be a part of the establishment or they’re out the door of their own party.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
If you take away all the magic and hocus pocus, you lose some of that authoritative position, it begs the question of why should we focus on a message from a guy from 2,000 years ago?

The definition of hypocrisy is a politician. They only say what they need to for votes. They don’t really care once they’re part of the establishment. And they have to be a part of the establishment or they’re out the door of their own party.
I don't disagree with you but to think both parties use it equally is laughable. Franklin Graham and Pat Robertson say hi.

If you take away all the magic and hocus pocus, you lose some of that authoritative position, it begs the question of why should we focus on a message from a guy from 2,000 years ago?
It’s a personal decision so feel free to do whatever, but let others make their own decisions. Not sure how anyone if truly following Jesus can say it hasn’t made their life better and those around them. There are some who take advantage of it for their own gain though.

I don't disagree with you but to think both parties use it equally is laughable. Franklin Graham and Pat Robertson say hi.
Didn’t say equally. Others use other things for their gain. Some love the welfare state just for votes, do just enough to keep people on welfare and so on.

Reactions: Chishawk1425
It’s a personal decision so feel free to do whatever, but let others make their own decisions. Not sure how anyone if truly following Jesus can say it hasn’t made their life better and those around them. There are some who take advantage of it for their own gain though.

Works for me. I was just trying to answer the OP's question of why we don't/can't just focus on Jesus's message.

Reactions: artradley
Yes all of this. The definition of hypocrisy is a Evangelical Republican. Especially a Trump supporter.
1 post into the thread and your contribution, or rather, your obsession, as always, is Donald Trump. You have become insufferable, dude. You need to get laid more.

The MESSAGE of Christ is timeless, it transcends a clock or calendar. He tried to enlighten people with the realization that "I and the Father are one." We are all little pieces of God. When he was about to be stoned for blasphemy, he confronts them with: "In your Scriptures, is it not written that YE ARE GODS?"... and "Truly, I say to you that THESE THINGS, AND MORE, SHALL YOU DO, if you have faith."

His message of unconditional love and forgiveness is an example of how we can attain and exhibit our own personal divinity. God is Us, and We are God.

1 post into the thread and your contribution, or rather, your obsession, as always, is Donald Trump. You have become insufferable, dude. You need to get laid more.

The MESSAGE of Christ is timeless, it transcends a clock or calendar. He tried to enlighten people with the realization that "I and the Father are one." We are all little pieces of God. When he was about to be stoned for blasphemy, he confronts them with: "In your Scriptures, is it not written that YE ARE GODS?"... and "Truly, I say to you that THESE THINGS, AND MORE, SHALL YOU DO, if you have faith."

His message of unconditional love and forgiveness is an example of how we can attain and exhibit our own personal divinity. God is Us, and We are God.
It is relevant with the "Religious" folks giving us the anti example by supporting him. But go on.

Any possible way you can engage in ANY conversation w/o spouting off the name "Trump"? You are literally why we can't have nice things. Geebus!

Normal Human: Did you like that new movie?
@Chishawk1425 : I would have liked it, but the chase scene took place in New York. Trump lives in New York, so I wound up hating the movie.

EDIT: Removing the word Republican from OP....it is clearly triggersom

Any possible way you can engage in ANY conversation w/o spouting off the name "Trump"? You are literally why we can't have nice things. Geebus!

Normal Human: Did you like that new movie?
@Chishawk1425 : I would have liked it, but the chase scene took place in New York. Trump lives in New York, so I wound up hating the movie.

EDIT: Removing the word Republican from OP....it is clearly triggersom
Refute what I said there, I'll hang up and listen.

Why was jesus a male and not female. Why is religion controlled by males? Why no female pope. Why do churches acquire wealth? Why do people follow jerry falwell jr as he wacks off behind a closet door watching his wife get banged by the pool boy. This is religion in a nut shell. Power Fu""""k in money this is how everything you need to know about religion

Why was jesus a male and not female. Why is religion controlled by males? Why no female pope. Why do churches acquire wealth? Why do people follow jerry falwell jr as he wacks off behind a closet door watching his wife get banged by the pool boy. This is religion in a nut shell. Power Fu""""k in money this is how everything you need to know about religion
I recommend you go back and read the thread title. Summary: Removing religion (everything you typed above), what about Jesus' actual message.

Completely missing the point. I'll be more direct.

Do you have the physical capability to engage in a conversation without diverting it into something regarding Trump? FYI: I'm at the show-me stage of this relationship.
Yes, but this is entirely what we are battling, the Evangelicals went into the oval office, put their hands on him said he was sent from God to be President. I think that is very relevant to this conversation.

Stop making Christianity political. The problem is many claim to be Christian when they’re really not. Each political party uses it for their gain. I’m all for everyone coming to know God, but not using it for gain unless it’s for God’s gain in more disciples.

Democrats tout Christianity? Lol

Stereotype much. There’s bad apples in everything. Not all are bad, many do good things quietly. Most don’t acquire wealth as you say. I suggest you stop following the press about mega churches and look into some of the good ones who do good work. Just go to the site of the most recent natural disaster and you’ll find many people for many churches there helping before any other agency especially government is there.

Good point. It's sorta why I purposely stopped referring to God as "He." God is not male OR female. God is not Christian, or Jewish, or Muslim, or Shinto, or Zoroastrian, or Hindu. God is all of them. I think religions might be like cosmic radio stations. People pick up God uniquely on their own personal frequency.

Reactions: naturalmwa
My issue with people who use the Bible to support their political beliefs is that 9/10 times they seem to quote from the Old Testament. Feel like part of the point of being a Christian is that we've moved on from the fire and brimstone parts of the Bible.

Ironically, "hell" as we commonly think of it today was not part of the Old Testament.

Man broke Christianity into denominations in an effort to mold God into their image and not the other way around. People want to be comfortable in their individual beliefs above all else in order to justify and rationalize their actions.

Reactions: strummingram
what are your thoughts?

Love God.
Love your enemies.

Take care of the poor

Most of the discussion I see here are either does a god exist or not or a challenge of Christian belief systems and their consistent hypocrisy. But what about Jesus himself...he was controversial for His time, but in many ways He most certainly was not this white conservative as many want to see him as. He was very progressive for His time. Thoughts?

One pretty important part you left out was whether one believes his claim of being the Son of God. That's what the whole thing is based around. Yes, His teachings are great, but they don't matter if he wasn't who He said He was.

Somewhat related... this is Tim Keller from the Gospel Coalition, talking about politics and religion. I took specific note of his last tweet...consider that position compared to many evagelicals (which Keller most certainly is)

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

That's like watching a movie in which crips and bloods are shooting at each other and concluding "that's all you need to know about black people."

Grow up.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
One pretty important part you left out was whether one believes his claim of being the Son of God. That's what the whole thing is based around. Yes, His teachings are great, but they don't matter if he wasn't who He said He was.

Absolutely correct! I think for most, they have to buy into the message before they can even fathom His divinity. I really enjoyed Lee Stroble's Case for Christ on this topic.

Yes, but this is entirely what we are battling, the Evangelicals went into the oval office, put their hands on him said he was sent from God to be President. I think that is very relevant to this conversation.

No, it's not, Chis. His whole point was to remove perversions in Christianity from the discussion of Jesus. That undoubtedly includes Trump-adoring evangelicals.

They are right, man. You are obsessed.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT