ADVERTISEMENT

Ilhan Omar Deportation Calls Grow From Republicans

Sharky1203

HR All-American
Silver Member
Sep 14, 2023
Conservatives are calling for Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar to be deported over comments she allegedly made about Somalia.

Omar, a Somali American and Muslim, sparked a backlash after a clip of the lawmaker's recent remarks to Somali American constituents went viral on X, formerly Twitter.

In the remarks, Omar addressed the deal struck by Somalia's breakaway region of Somaliland with landlocked Ethiopia to give it access to the sea.

According to the translation of her remarks first shared on X by Ambassador Rhoda J. Elmi, Somaliland's Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Omar purportedly said that she was "Somalian first, Muslim second" and "here to protect the interests of Somalia from inside the U.S. system."

She is also alleged to have said that "as Somalis, one day we will go after our missing territories."

Omar later defended her remarks, saying the translation on the viral clip was "not only slanted, but completely off," but she "wouldn't expect more from these propagandists."

According to another translation, Omar said that Somalis "are sisters and brothers, supporting each other, people who know they are Somalis and Muslims, coming to each other's aid."

Per that translation, she also said: "While I am in Congress, no one will take Somalia's sea. The United States will not back others to rob us. So, do not lose sleep over that."

Conservatives, many of whom have long been critical of Omar, a progressive Democrat, accused her of putting Somalia's interests above those of the U.S.

"Terrorist sympathizer Ilhan Omar in her own words: Somalian first. Muslim second. She never mentions America," Georgia Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, a Republican, wrote on X on Monday.

"She flaunts using her position as congresswoman to protect Somalia's border while our border is invaded by MILLIONS of illegals who are a danger to America."

And in response to a post from Omar where she noted that "Somali people are called Somalis, not 'Somalians,'" Greene added: "Patriots, you must show up big in 2024. We have a country to save and people to deport."

Newsweek reached out to Omar and Greene's offices for comment via email.

Others called for Omar to be expelled from Congress and deported.

House Majority Whip Tom Emmer, a Minnesota representative, has said Omar should resign.

Omar's "appalling, Somalia-first comments are a slap in the face to the Minnesotans she was elected to serve and a direct violation of her oath of office," Emmer wrote on X. "She should resign in disgrace."

Conservative political commentator Matt Walsh wrote: "Every Republican member of congress should be calling for Ilhan Omar to be expelled from congress and deported back to where she came from."

An account called "End Wokeness" with more than 2 million followers claimed Omar "didn't just break her oath of office," but also her "oath of American citizenship."

"She should be expelled and deported," the account posted.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/i...S&cvid=2a25d8d4a5d04b81b82e47786b0c2f3e&ei=65

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
Not defending it from the point of view of a person sitting in congress.

But she's a US citizen and she has the right to free speech. You can't deport her for that unless the MAGA's want to get rid of the right to free speech for "certain types of people"
What we need to focus on is eliminating HaTe SpEeCh.

This quote by Josh Hawley is a thousand times worse than what Omar said.

“Senator, is this deal dead, effectively?” Fox News’s Laura Ingraham asked Hawley Thursday evening.
“I hope so,” Hawley said. “It should be. If it’s not dead yet it should be dead. There is absolutely no reason to agree to policies that would further enable Joe Biden.”

Yeah I'm sure deportation isn't in the cards, and IMO it's stupid to bring it up even as political theater, BUT...

Someone who claims they're "Somali first and Muslim second and here to protect Muslims from inside the US System" isn't probably someone who should be elected to Congress... But it's up to Minnesota.

I realize this is small potatoes but is anyone else curious about seeing the different versions of the full translation before landing on a conclusion? Maybe a better understanding of what was actually said before determining deportation, espionage allegations and the rest?

The story in the OP offers a couple of different alleged translated quotes and a statement from Omar that it's not only slanted but completely wrong.

Newsweek should have tried a little harder.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
She said her sympathy lie with Somalia first and Islam second. No mention of America, democracy etc. if her constituents in Minnesota are okay with that then there is little you can do about it.
It does show that she is exactly what her critics said she is.
She was speaking in the context of problems relevant to Somalia, and not favoring Muslims Somalis over non-Muslims.

Also, I was only semi-hard and failed to achieve a full erection during the Pledge of Allegiance this morning. Should I be concerned that I don't love my country enough?

I realize this is small potatoes but is anyone else curious about seeing the different versions of the full translation before landing on a conclusion? Maybe a better understanding of what was actually said before determining deportation, espionage allegations and the rest?

The story in the OP offers a couple of different alleged translated quotes and a statement from Omar that it's not only slanted but completely wrong.

Newsweek should have tried a little harder.
She certainly has a history of being pro-America. Let's see how this plays out!

Curious why? He did nothing different than Chis and Ciggy do. Posted an article and the link, no commentary. Board can have a discussion.

Should we have a discussion if someone posts an article that the sun rises from the north?

This one is just silly. It was silly to post because there is no chance she is deported.

• Haha
Reactions: EvolutionDenier
Should we have a discussion if someone posts an article that the sun rises from the north?

This one is just silly. It was silly to post because there is no chance she is deported.
How many silly dumb republican ones have been posted. But the side note is, if they ever found out the truth about her marrying her brother, than I guess they could (if the rumors are true).

Reactions: Masterprime
Three things can be true at the same time:

1) Omar has the right to free speech. if she wants to proclaim her loyalties are to something above our country she has the right to voice that.
2) She should not be a representative in Congress if her loyalty is that divided. It’s wishful thinking to believe she will get voted out though.
3) The idea of deporting a citizen is more un-American than a citizen speaking their mind

Here to protect Muslims from inside the US System" isn't probably someone who should be elected to Congress... But it's up to Minnesota.

Hundreds of politicians have gotten elected after running on the platform of protecting Christians, Christian ideology, and Christian values. Are they unfit to serve in Congress?

Reactions: mthawkeyes
Hundreds of politicians have gotten elected after running on the platform of protecting Christians, Christian ideology, and Christian values. Are they unfit to serve in Congress?
I think the bigger issue is that she said she was Somali first and used language that clearly communicated to them that she was working for their best interest from her position inside the US government. The Muslim part was of least concern, although now that you mention it, she did just side with Hamas a couple months ago, so actually yeah, that's bad too.

Again, it's up to Minnesota, but yes, in my opinion she's wholly unfit for Congress.

It was mentioned by Jerome, that Somali is an ethnicity. I did not realize that, and am glad he did. I think that’s important to consider here.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
She was speaking in the context of problems relevant to Somalia, and not favoring Muslims Somalis over non-Muslims.

Also, I was only semi-hard and failed to achieve a full erection during the Pledge of Allegiance this morning. Should I be concerned that I don't love my country enough?

You might want to be more concerned with your inability to get a full erection...

I'd love to see a full transcript and context. That aside, I would assume that all representatives are elected with the expectation that they are representing the best interests of the voting group that elected them as it relates to American policy and governing the country overall. If she is trying to create policy that doesn't support the US first, then there is likely a conflict of interest. That should be addressed by her constituents during a free and fair election.

Seems to me plenty of candidates have run on a platform of "me first" recently.

Guess I won't vote for her now.

But to deport her, what a bunch of morons.

I think the bigger issue is that she said she was Somali first and used language that clearly communicated to them that she was working for their best interest from her position inside the US government. The Muslim part was of least concern, although now that you mention it, she did just side with Hamas a couple months ago, so actually yeah, that's bad too.

Again, it's up to Minnesota, but yes, in my opinion she's wholly unfit for Congress.
This is correct. I don't think she has Americas interests in mind. It is up to her constituents, however, to choose someone else. Since she didn't do anything illegal yet it seems. Though I do think she has no ethical compass.

She barely won the primary last time with under a 3000 vote margin. Id guess her spot in congress is about up. Thats how it should be.

If she has done something illegal, charge and convict her. Then you can kick her out.

I feel the same about Trump. I dont like him and wish the R's nominated someone else. But I dont think he is unfit for office if he gets elected and hasnt been convicted of any crimes. We vote and we get what we deserve.

Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT