ADVERTISEMENT

I'm a pretty liberal liberal, but...

People get upset by the strangest things.
Not upset, per se. Just had a lot of involuntary eye-rolling reading it.

Maybe it's because many of my fondest memories involve my dad and I canoeing, boating, fishing. For FFS, at least ACT like you have things under control and that you don't need mommy/wifey to bail you out. I don't think that's giving in to the patriarchy, it's having some goddamn human dignity and self-respect.

This New Yorker illustrated cartoon story is beyond ridiculous. I want to punch this soft-ass dork right in his soy-boy face! (Guess I'm still a slave to the patriarchy, sigh.)

What about this makes you angry and immediately want to resort to violence? The male figure being a stay-at-home father or that he is trying to expand the way his son sees the evolving world?

Not trying to be rude, honestly just trying to understand your anger.

Also, tell me about your fatha?
Sigmund_Freud%2C_by_Max_Halberstadt_%28cropped%29.jpg

What about this makes you angry and immediately want to resort to violence? The male figure being a stay-at-home father or that he is trying to expand the way his son sees the evolving world?

Not trying to be rude, honestly just trying to understand your anger.

Also, tell me about your fatha?
Sigmund_Freud%2C_by_Max_Halberstadt_%28cropped%29.jpg
First of all, it isn't anger, it is disdain.

What annoys me is the subtextual reading that men/dads who DO relish more "manly" pursuits are part of some "problem" that the writer is proud to let you know HE will not exacerbate. Could that be some projection on my part? Sure, I suppose. But you can't deny there is a holier-than-thou "look at how evolved and better I am because my son saw that I'm worthless and weak in a rowboat" tone to the piece.

Just rubbed me the wrong way.

They are just going to leave me hanging like this?

Ostow-CentralPark-10.jpg

"Wonder Woman is pantsless because of Rape Culture. The toxic masculinity of mid 20th century comic book writers compelled them to make sure any power women had, like bullet-blocking bracelets or magic lassoes, had to be counterbalanced with gender-normative sexuality such as wearing blue panties instead of pants."

• Wow
Reactions: Moral

Maybe it's because many of my fondest memories involve my dad and I canoeing, boating, fishing. For FFS, at least ACT like you have things under control and that you don't need mommy/wifey to bail you out. I don't think that's giving in to the patriarchy, it's having some goddamn human dignity and self-respect.
I’ve wonder how gender studies programs in languages like German approach the notion of gender in language.

In German “boat” is a neutral gender noun.
Thus, Das Boot, not Die Boot, is the name of the movie.

What annoys me is the subtextual reading that men/dads who DO relish more "manly" pursuits are part of some "problem" that the writer is proud to let you know HE will not exacerbate. Could that be some projection on my part? Sure, I suppose. But you can't deny there is a holier-than-thou "look at how evolved and better I am because my son saw that I'm worthless and weak in a rowboat" tone to the piece.

I read it as he knew his shortcomings and realized he wasn't the best "captain" and made a comic about his self-truth and wanted to share his perspective.

Reactions: BelemNole

So it bothers you that he may look down on manly men? A little ironic, right? It's traditionally been okay to look at people like this beta and think less of him. But really what grinds your gears is somehow this pussy thinks he's better than you? Your the one with a weekly podcast about college boys. Why does this cuck get to make you feel bad about that?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
So it bothers you that he may look down on manly men? A little ironic, right? It's traditionally been okay to look at people like this beta and think less of him. But really what grinds your gears is somehow this pussy thinks he's better than you? Your the one with a weekly podcast about college boys. Why does this cuck get to make you feel bad about that?
Nah. What grinds my gears is that something this lame and dipshitty is taking up valuable real estate in a magazine I typically enjoy reading.

This coming from a guy that screwed me out of the WPOTY the past 2 seasons.

This is why I like HROT. IT gives me a window into how other people think. I would never, ever think like that father, and don't know a single soul who would ever admit to thinking like that. For me, and everyone I know, the thought would be about mastering how to row the boat so I could teach my kid how to persevere and overcome.

Misogyny is ugly torbs, even with your complexion.

This is why I like HROT. IT gives me a window into how other people think. I would never, ever think like that father, and don't know a single soul who would ever admit to thinking like that. For me, and everyone I know, the thought would be about mastering how to row the boat so I could teach my kid how to persevere and overcome.
Thank you for articulating my feelings better than I could. Guess my "writer" skills are lacking today, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT