ADVERTISEMENT

IMF: We Need a $75 per Ton Carbon Tax within 10 Years

What a scam.....The weather has been changing for ever and will continue. This earth will be here until the Almighty decides it won't. People need to get a grip. Sure conserve and recycle. But God gave us the earth , including the resources to use for our benefit. You will never be able to do the things we do without fossil fuels.

WTF...a carbon tax WOULD be a law that would force the cutting of emissions. Maybe you don't understand how this works.
Keep believing that.

The carbon emitters will just pay the tax and keep on doing what they are doing. Meanwhile, that tax will be passed on to their customers in the form of higher prices (plus a little more for extra profit). The average Joe will once again end up taking it in the shorts. Things go on as they always have, but the middle class and poor end up with even less money. Brilliant!

Why does everything you libs support involve taking more and more of our money and giving it to the government?

Keep believing that.

The carbon emitters will just pay the tax and keep on doing what they are doing. Meanwhile, that tax will be passed on to their customers in the form of higher prices (plus a little more for extra profit). The average Joe will once again end up taking it in the shorts. Things go on as they always have, but the middle class and poor end up with even less money. Brilliant!

Why does everything you libs support involve taking more and more of our money and giving it to the government?
LOL...how do you propose cutting emissions beyond making it really expensive to keep pumping CO2 and other GHGs out? I'm serious...what do you think should be done? Or do you deny there's an issue at all?

LOL...how do you propose cutting emissions beyond making it really expensive to keep pumping CO2 and other GHGs out? I'm serious...what do you think should be done? Or do you deny there's an issue at all?
And how do you propose keeping the emitters from just passing the cost onto us consumers? Are you really that naive?

Again.....why is everything you libs support involve taking more and more of our money and giving it to the government?

Make things illegal

private boats. My guess is electric alternatives would pop up in less than three years is selling gas powered ones was no longer possible.

hard cap on air miles each person can travel in any five year period. Exceptions made for verified employment activity.

nobody needs to go on a cruise. Don’t allow them to dock in US and cut off foreign aid to countries that do allow them to dock. This would save a ton of air travel also. Nobody would be flying to ports.

Have a commission set up in each state that decides if you NEED a large gas sucking vehicle. almost nobody does.

if it truly is so grim. Stopping things is what needs to be done.

these types of real solutions don’t put money in people’s pockets so we know it isn’t going to happen.

Make things illegal

private boats. My guess is electric alternatives would pop up in less than three years is selling gas powered ones was no longer possible.

hard cap on air miles each person can travel in any five year period. Exceptions made for verified employment activity.

nobody needs to go on a cruise. Don’t allow them to dock in US and cut off foreign aid to countries that do allow them to dock. This would save a ton of air travel also. Nobody would be flying to ports.

Have a commission set up in each state that decides if you NEED a large gas sucking vehicle. almost nobody does.

if it truly is so grim. Stopping things is what needs to be done.

these types of real solutions don’t put money in people’s pockets so we know it isn’t going to happen.
Ah, the government controlling our lives....telling us what we can and can’t do. A liberal’s dream come true.

Reactions: Greenway12
WTF...a carbon tax WOULD be a law that would force the cutting of emissions. Maybe you don't understand how this works.
I know very well how punitive taxes work.
Why tax it though if the need is so dire? Just put the laws in place and shut down those that don't comply? You don't think most will just pay the taxes, pass on costs to consumers and either continue on bau or slowly change to comply? Bc that's what's already happening and what has changed? The "we must tax our way to fixing climate change" mantra is what turns people off.

How has taxation affected the tobacco industry... particularly heavy and long-term smokers??

Throwing money against a wall and hoping something sticks is simply not going to work. Maybe, and its a huge maybe, if the money was spent wisely, efficiently and some luck involved we can make a slight difference but this is not "fixing" the problem, real or perceived.

Technology is our best, and maybe only, hope we have.

How has taxation affected the tobacco industry... particularly heavy and long-term smokers??

Throwing money against a wall and hoping something sticks is simply not going to work. Maybe, and its a huge maybe, if the money was spent wisely, efficiently and some luck involved we can make a slight difference but this is not "fixing" the problem, real or perceived.

And of course....bleeding the American public dry financially won’t stop big polluters like China and India. But at least the libs can “feel good”.

Do I really need to specify "among intelligent people" when I make a statement like that?

Come on, you know that a lot of thinking people question the carbon tax approach,... The wealthy pay the tax and do whatever they want while the lesser well off experience the pain and inconvenience...

LOL...your claim...your responsibility. The conclusion until then is you're posting out of your ass.
Haha my claim my responsibility my ass!! I know what I know like I said if you’re truly interested then go look it up.. burden of proof is on the clowns blowing these tax ideas

I know very well how punitive taxes work.
Why tax it though if the need is so dire? Just put the laws in place and shut down those that don't comply? You don't think most will just pay the taxes, pass on costs to consumers and either continue on bau or slowly change to comply? Bc that's what's already happening and what has changed? The "we must tax our way to fixing climate change" mantra is what turns people off.
It won't happen because there are actually pretty smart people out there. They'll understand - unlike you - that if they can avoid the taxes...follow closely here...they can undercut their competition. It's what we call a "free market". As opposed to the govt coming in and shutting you down for not meeting some govt mandated limit. That's what we call "central planning"....comrade.

And of course....bleeding the American public dry financially won’t stop big polluters like China and India. But at least the libs can “feel good”.
Brilliant argument there. Truly. Why should WE stop driving temps higher since no one else will!!!

The United States used to lead the world...then dumbasses who make arguments like you came to the fore. Don't be like them.

Haha my claim my responsibility my ass!! I know what I know like I said if you’re truly interested then go look it up.. burden of proof is on the clowns blowing these tax ideas
So you're full of shit...that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.

Come on, you know that a lot of thinking people question the carbon tax approach,... The wealthy pay the tax and do whatever they want while the lesser well off experience the pain and inconvenience...
No, that's simply untrue. Even Exxon liked it a decade ago. When you get environmentalists and Exxon on the same page, there's probably something of merit there. And of course it just makes logical sense.

A carbon tax isn't even close to a total solution but it will shape markets to let those markets help solve a good chunk of the problem.

It's possible that a carbon tax a couple of decades ago could have done the trick, but we'll never know. At the moment, it's still a valuable arrow in our quiver. But apparently we need regime change to use it (or any of the other arrows).

Technology is our only hope. How exactly do you plan to pay for it? There's basic research that will need to be done. Who will do it? Pay for it? There will be development costs...any breakthrough (and that's what will be needed) will have to be scaled up enormously. Costs? Borne by whom? Then it will have to be deployed...maintained...improved. Do you envision carbon capture to be a money maker? How will that work?

And, FTR, cigarette use:

Annual-adult-per-capita-cigarette-consumption-and-major-smoking-and-health-events-United-States-1900-1998-Hanson-Venturelli-and-Fleckenstein-2009.png

Annual adult per capita cigarette consumption and major smoking and health events in United States, 1900-1998

Technology is our only hope. How exactly do you plan to pay for it? There's basic research that will need to be done. Who will do it? Pay for it? There will be development costs...any breakthrough (and that's what will be needed) will have to be scaled up enormously. Costs? Borne by whom? Then it will have to be deployed...maintained...improved. Do you envision carbon capture to be a money maker? How will that work?

And, FTR, cigarette use:

Annual-adult-per-capita-cigarette-consumption-and-major-smoking-and-health-events-United-States-1900-1998-Hanson-Venturelli-and-Fleckenstein-2009.png

Annual adult per capita cigarette consumption and major smoking and health events in United States, 1900-1998
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3228562/

The economic literature has made unique and important contributions to our understanding of the effectiveness of tobacco taxation on ameliorating the health consequences of smoking. Increased tobacco taxes, passed on to consumers in the form of higher cigarette prices, provide an economic disincentive to those who smoke or may be contemplating smoking. Indeed, the evidence from this knowledge synthesis strongly supports increasing cigarette prices through tobacco taxation as a powerful strategy for achieving major reductions in smoking behavior among some, but not all, high-risk populations.

For instance, increasing the price of cigarettes is a very effective policy tool for reducing smoking participation and consumption among youth, young adults and persons of low socioeconomic status. In contrast, major gaps exist in our knowledge about the impact of price on persons diagnosed with mental health or non-nicotine substance abuse disorders, heavy and long-term smokers, and Aboriginal people. Given their high prevalence of smoking, urgent attention is needed to develop effective tobacco control policies for these subpopulations. A related issue is whether or not increased prices have an effect on reducing smoking initiation among youth and young adults.

So great you are going to further hinder economic growth of new markets and the poor. Perfect.

Brilliant argument there. Truly. Why should WE stop driving temps higher since no one else will!!!

The United States used to lead the world...then dumbasses who make arguments like you came to the fore. Don't be like them.
Once upon a time, before you went off the rails, I used to think you were at least halfway intelligent.

All a carbon tax (which the rich will pay in order to keep doing what they are doing) will accomplish is to financially break the backs of the poor and middle class. But you keep on thinking all our problems can just be taxed away. :rolleyes:

It won't happen because there are actually pretty smart people out there. They'll understand - unlike you - that if they can avoid the taxes...follow closely here...they can undercut their competition. It's what we call a "free market". As opposed to the govt coming in and shutting you down for not meeting some govt mandated limit. That's what we call "central planning"....comrade.
They won't if the costs to avoid the taxes is greater than just paying them.
You pretending like punitive taxing is any less "central planning" than just saying "do this or else" is a pretty cynical way of looking at things.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3228562/

The economic literature has made unique and important contributions to our understanding of the effectiveness of tobacco taxation on ameliorating the health consequences of smoking. Increased tobacco taxes, passed on to consumers in the form of higher cigarette prices, provide an economic disincentive to those who smoke or may be contemplating smoking. Indeed, the evidence from this knowledge synthesis strongly supports increasing cigarette prices through tobacco taxation as a powerful strategy for achieving major reductions in smoking behavior among some, but not all, high-risk populations.

For instance, increasing the price of cigarettes is a very effective policy tool for reducing smoking participation and consumption among youth, young adults and persons of low socioeconomic status. In contrast, major gaps exist in our knowledge about the impact of price on persons diagnosed with mental health or non-nicotine substance abuse disorders, heavy and long-term smokers, and Aboriginal people. Given their high prevalence of smoking, urgent attention is needed to develop effective tobacco control policies for these subpopulations. A related issue is whether or not increased prices have an effect on reducing smoking initiation among youth and young adults.

So great you are going to further hinder economic growth of new markets and the poor. Perfect.
Do you actually have a rational point?

If so, would you kindly make it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT