ADVERTISEMENT

Impressive win

Lone Clone

HB King
May 29, 2001
Very impressed with the performance of the Hawkeyes today. Totally dominant up front on both sides of the ball.

Like most everybody else, I expected this to be a close game. Never in doubt.

Congrats.

Well I liked it but maybe my head is getting soft from old age. I really saw a LOT of things that I liked. probably especially Beathard.

Reactions: WORTHYWISH
And we left points on the field starting in ISU territory twice.

Now it's on to preparing for the overly-amped up Iowa State defense that swarms to the ball better than any other game they'll play this year and Iowa State fans cannot argue that because that will happen, and basically the exact same offense as Illinois State minus a Roberson type of athlete at QB...........which means a record setting day for Richardson literally just because....as in there will be absolutely no explanation or visual proof to show how it happened. The ISU line won't block any better. ISU won't make any more spectacular plays. Richardson won't break any big plays. It will just f***ing magically appear on the stat sheet because that's how Iowa rolls against Iowa State.

Should be fun.

Reactions: HawkandTackle
Very impressed with the performance of the Hawkeyes today. Totally dominant up front on both sides of the ball.

Congrats.

I was shocked at how overmatched Illinois State was on both sides of the line. Thought Iowa had an advantage there, but the difference was monumental. And I'm not certain Iowa is really good on the o-line or d-line. Perhaps better than I thought.

Beathard and the running backs (Daniels and Canzeri) are clearly better than what Iowa ran out there at those positions last year.

Won't mean much by next week, other than it was a good start for Iowa. The linebackers and d-backs weren't tested whatsoever due to Iowa's dominance up front.

Well I liked it but maybe my head is getting soft from old age. I really saw a LOT of things that I liked. probably especially Beathard.
Agree. The thing that I I'm concerned about is that our WRs couldn't get open deep.

This is, of course, bullshit. But I will reserve an opinion until watching the ISU-UNI game in a few hours.
Lol don't be mad. I'm saying you'll win. How you win is not of concern to you. It just justifies how you guys winning is the real bullsh**. So deal with it. Don't be mad.

Otherwise, f***ing lose the game next week and you won't have to deal with it. Thanks for playing.

Reactions: Hawkeye_311
I don't suppose it's reasonable to give a little credit to the ISU Def Co for cranking up their defense after our first 2 drives. Looked to me like they cranked it a little.

Iowa St.will lose to UNI then beat Iowa 17-16 for their only win of the year. BAU
Hey now....they'll play really really tough against a couple of average Big 12 opponents, so that justifies their claim that ISU was always better than Iowa and that the Big 12 was better than the Big 10 ainec.

I don't suppose it's reasonable to give a little credit to the ISU Def Co for cranking up their defense after our first 2 drives. Looked to me like they cranked it a little.
Yes, they made good on-field adjustments. But we also took ourselves out of possessions by passing and not executing too often on short series, giving their D more time to recover.

Illinois State did hang in there. Spack (the head coach) was the long-time d-coordinator for Purdue under Tiller. But the first 2 drives were basically Iowa saying "we're better, you're not winning today."

Illinois State did hang in there. Spack (the head coach) was the long-time d-coordinator for Purdue under Tiller. But the first 2 drives were basically Iowa saying "we're better, you're not winning today."
Oh no question, we squished them on those first 2 drives. I haven't had time to fap to the 99 yard drive (too drunk now) but I'll get to it later.

Congrats.

agreed.gif

This is, of course, bullshit. But I will reserve an opinion until watching the ISU-UNI game in a few hours.

Actually agree with you.

ISU is usually a little more amped up but mostly it's been Iowas lack of performance, preparation, intensity, creativity, talent and coaching.

And you could say that about most of their losses the last 4 years .

B-/C+. Their offensive and defensive lines weren't that good. The right side of our offensive line clearly needs improvement. Our receivers got little separation on longer routes. On defense we took some bad angles and lost back shoulder contain.

I would give an A to rush defense notwithstanding their weaker than expected offensive line. Their RB might be the best one we face until Wiscy, and their QB as well. Very difficult to tell this early.

It's a win. The fake FG was actually a conservative play. Longer FG, lower trajectory, take a blocked kick for 6 out of the equation. Not much given up if the play fails, which it did. Having said that, I think we have the leg for longer fg's this season.

I'm very, very pleased with today's performance, but trying to be objective as we have some things to clean up.

Solid B rating. They looked better than I thought they would but they still didn't have the instinct to put the knife in the leg and turn it.

ISU is usually a little more amped up but mostly it's been Iowas lack of performance, preparation, intensity, creativity, talent and coaching.

And you could say that about most of their losses the last 4 years .
Isn't that part of what I was saying?.....Maybe it wasn't. I forgot.

But this was an argument of mine in other posts.

Only a few things that were concerns to me: Fleming guarding anyone, Wadley still fumbling and the Punter drilling the ball into end zone twice from inside the 50....Defense looked really good and Offense did also for the most part....

one point of concern was that, despite great pass blocking and plenty of time for CJ, WR's were still not creating separation in single coverage against an FBS opponent.

One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is how much the special teams have improved. There will not be may KO's returned this year as Koehn has an absolute cannon. If that kid has improved his accuracy on FG's he will be playing on Sundays next fall. His first KO was into the wind and we decided to get hang time and get coverage down there. The guy next to me and I agreed we hadn't seen anything like that since Nate was here. His KO's were very impressive.

There just seemed to be a cohesiveness that we have not seen in quite some time. There were no, "What in the hell are they doing?" moments like we have seen in every game since 2010.

Great first game that will hopefully help lead to a much better season than expected.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT