ADVERTISEMENT

In 2002 whatever happened to Minnesota's goalposts?

Slightly off topic but directly resulting from the goalpost incident; the next time we were in Minnesota for a game we, fully adorned in Iowa gear, were not permitted to use certain stairways to go down. We had planned on meeting part of our group that had lower level seats immediately under us. Instead, we were forced to walk halfway around the stadium to go downstairs then back to meet our group. Gopher fans were permitted to use the staircase. Middle aged couples with a kid in tow, it was clear we had no intention of entering the field to rob them of their beloved goalposts and yelled to our companions downstairs who answered back. We were incensed. A letter to the Minnesota AD about the situation suggesting treating fans differently based on what color of clothing they are wearing, even if legal, wasn't the best way to treat visiting fans. At the time I was paying tuition to Minnesota for our daughter to attend as well!

Slightly off topic but directly resulting from the goalpost incident; the next time we were in Minnesota for a game we, fully adorned in Iowa gear, were not permitted to use certain stairways to go down. We had planned on meeting part of our group that had lower level seats immediately under us. Instead, we were forced to walk halfway around the stadium to go downstairs then back to meet our group. Gopher fans were permitted to use the staircase. Middle aged couples with a kid in tow, it was clear we had no intention of entering the field to rob them of their beloved goalposts and yelled to our companions downstairs who answered back. We were incensed. A letter to the Minnesota AD about the situation suggesting treating fans differently based on what color of clothing they are wearing, even if legal, wasn't the best way to treat visiting fans. At the time I was paying tuition to Minnesota for our daughter to attend as well!

I don't wanna redirect your anger but unless you had a lower level ticket you were unable to travel between concourses outside of a few stairways. It was a way of keeping the "peasants" from the higher-ups.

It wasn't because of ticket quality. We were all piss-ons on the first and second floor. The policy wasn't in effect until the game ended. We used the stairway to come up originally. The security guys were permitting Gopher fans to use the stairs. We had a bunch of Iowa fans standing there in dismay while Gopher fans walked by. It was clear, the only reason we weren't permitted to use it was because we were Iowa fans. When I asked if we could use it if our daughter came up from the student section and give us something from Minnesota to wear (to show the how lubricious this policy was) only one of the guys replied that it wasn't their decision. When asked whose decision it was they were unwilling to give us a name.

Two things I'll never forget from that game:

1. The goals posts and sirens, which we could hear from outside the dome.
  2. There was an Iowa fan a couple rows behind us that wore a Hawkeye helmet all game. A drunk Hawk fan was walking toward the tunnel and the helmet fan was walking back from the tunnel and the drunk guy grabbed him by the face mask and head butted him. His forehead proceeded to explode in blood after catching one of the rivets on the helmet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT