In March Iowa Senate passed bill to let dairy farms sell raw milk

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
1017pd-zigelbaum-fg1.jpg

Waiting on House to take up the vote

https://www.radioiowa.com/2022/03/09/iowa-senate-passes-bill-to-let-dairy-farms-sell-raw-milk/

Reactions: cigaretteman
This was a huge battle that was going on when I lived in Wisconsin. The anti raw milk crowd was not just the mega farmers, but also the public health crowd and the pediatric crowd; the pro raw milk was more of the granola/anti vax crowd (pre covid) I lost track where it went, but I’m a bit surprised by the map.

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/rawmilk-outbreaks.html

Based on statistics from the five-year period 2009-2014, people who drink unpasteurized, raw milk are 840 times more likely to contract a foodborne illness than those who drink pasteurized milk.

“Unpasteurized milk, consumed by only 3.2 percent of the (U.S.) population, and cheese, consumed by only 1.6 percent of the population, caused 96 percent of illnesses caused by contaminated dairy products,” according to the report scheduled for June publication by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2017...-840-times-more-likely-for-raw-milk-drinkers/

https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/rawmilk/rawmilk-outbreaks.html

Based on statistics from the five-year period 2009-2014, people who drink unpasteurized, raw milk are 840 times more likely to contract a foodborne illness than those who drink pasteurized milk.

“Unpasteurized milk, consumed by only 3.2 percent of the (U.S.) population, and cheese, consumed by only 1.6 percent of the population, caused 96 percent of illnesses caused by contaminated dairy products,” according to the report scheduled for June publication by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2017...-840-times-more-likely-for-raw-milk-drinkers/

So what? They knew what they were buying.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
I think stuff like this works as a specialty item. We allow cigarettes and booze to exist -- put a warning label and make sure it's not to be confused with pasteurized milk.
I completely agree. I also think it's important for the average person to keep in mind how awful and dangerous food born illness is, and just how prevalent it was before the advent of food safety regulations.

I completely agree. I also think it's important for the average person to keep in mind how awful and dangerous food born illness is, and just how prevalent it was before the advent of food safety regulations.
It's your health-freak crowd that gets into it. Notice California allowing it on the map. If they want to take the risk, fine. (I think it's kind of dumb -- if you're super into health, why bother with milk at all?) Just make sure the regular consumer isn't confused.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Yeah, the number of people wanting to go back to the “good old days” when food borne illness, Polio and Measles were rampant….amazes me.

Reactions: praguehawk
Where is this ‘duty’ spelled out?

Declaration of Independence - inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that the US government is to protect.

Constitution - Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 - US government to provide for the general welfare of its citizens

Reactions: joelbc1
You can buy hallucinogenic drugs in some states and have your child’s genitals changed but we are drawing the line on milk?

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Raw milk is used in quite a few cheeses made in Europe. I think pasteurization and raw have their places, make it clear that the consumer knows which product they are buying with warnings about age and pregnancy.

Declaration of Independence - inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness that the US government is to protect.

Constitution - Article I, Section 8, Clause 1 - US government to provide for the general welfare of its citizens
Lol. The Declaration of Independence is just that; a statement. It is not law.

And to claim that “ the general welfare of these united states “ is equal to an unlimited nanny state is ridiculous.

This undying devotion to the state is baffling.

I’m trying to understand the anger in this thread. It seems like the OP is upset that the Iowa House hasn’t voted on it yet because of fealty to the Iowa Farm Bureau. And it seems like most everyone else is upset that the Senate passed the bill in the first place because innocent children are going to get sick and die.

Either way…goddamn it, Kim!

Lol. The Declaration of Independence is just that; a statement. It is not law.

And to claim that “ the general welfare of these united states “ is equal to an unlimited nanny state is ridiculous.

Of course, I made neither of those arguments, so please feel free to prattle on about strawmen ...

And please tell me more about how the Declaration of Independence is a Declaration. Fascinating.

I’m trying to understand the anger in this thread. It seems like the OP is upset that the Iowa House hasn’t voted on it yet because of fealty to the Iowa Farm Bureau. And it seems like most everyone else is upset that the Senate passed the bill in the first place because innocent children are going to get sick and die.

Either way…goddamn it, Kim!
A) Nothing to do with Kim.
B) Not upset
C) Farm Bureau sucks
D) Waiting on House to vote means- waiting on the House to vote
E) It should be passed. I won't buy that milk but it should be legal with warning label.

Of course, I made neither of those arguments, so please feel free to prattle on about strawmen ...

And please tell me more about how the Declaration of Independence is a Declaration. Fascinating.
Lmao. Okay, Joe.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness...unless that pursuit includes selling raw milk products, cuz we’re like totally not crazy and T Jeff got real sick on that stuff one time.

He has erected a multitude of New Offices - like the FDA and the FTC and the IRS and the USDA, ad nauseam - and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT