ADVERTISEMENT

In Your Life, what is the best RB duo you ever saw in person?

He was fast but Shaw was the better back.
Banks was the co offensive big ten POY in 1997. He had a school record 1690 yds and 17 tds and ran for 314 in a game and is career touchdowns leader at 33. He was a lot more than just fast, his cut backs were deadly. Both put up similar NFL numbers (not much) even though Banks had a devastating knee injury yr 2 in league.

It was a shame Tavian had to play second fiddle to Sed first 3 yrs but it was kind of an embarrassment of riches at rb back then, both incredible backs then Ladell came right after. Had Timmy D too, even with terrible Sherman those offenses were actually quite fun to watch. Hayden was a great rb recruiter

I went to Las Cruces to play golf but one October evening I watched Mercury Morris run the fb for West Texas State and some guy named Duane Thomas was his “blocking back”…..The Aggies kicked the Buffaloes butt that night and as I left the stadium, Thomas carried the ball and was tackled along the sideline and the stadium heard his ankle go “SNAP”…. It took the EMTs about 10 minutes to get him loaded up on the ambulance and to the hospital…but Morris and Thomas in the same backfield was pretty impressive… especially a few years later when both were tearing up the NFL.

Probably Nick Bell and Tony Stewart vs Illinois, 1990

168 yds and 101 yds

Bell was just a steamroller that day.

Gore had a great NFL career, but his college career never amazed me. He racked up that yardage in 2001 against garbage defenses. He didn’t play against FSU and barely played against Virginia Tech.

McGahee also paired better with Portis.

Didn’t gore end college having torn up both knees? And then was like nfl Ironman

Reactions: mnole03
For in person, it's Saquon Barkley and whoever his backup was in 2017 at Kinnick. Don't even care who his backup was, Saquon was that good. Been very fortunate to see a lot of good players in person through the years but that performance is the most impressive I've seen.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, except that I attended West Texas State about ten years after Mercury Morris, at the T Boone Pickens School of Business.

I went to Las Cruces to play golf but one October evening I watched Mercury Morris run the fb for West Texas State and some guy named Duane Thomas was his “blocking back”…..The Aggies kicked the Buffaloes butt that night and as I left the stadium, Thomas carried the ball and was tackled along the sideline and the stadium heard his ankle go “SNAP”…. It took the EMTs about 10 minutes to get him loaded up on the ambulance and to the hospital…but Morris and Thomas in the same backfield was pretty impressive… especially a few years later when both were tearing up the NFL.
Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas. In this case, the backup was better. just ask Barry Switzer.

Banks was the co offensive big ten POY in 1997. He had a school record 1690 yds and 17 tds and ran for 314 in a game and is career touchdowns leader at 33. He was a lot more than just fast, his cut backs were deadly. Both put up similar NFL numbers (not much) even though Banks had a devastating knee injury yr 2 in league.

It was a shame Tavian had to play second fiddle to Sed first 3 yrs but it was kind of an embarrassment of riches at rb back then, both incredible backs then Ladell came right after. Had Timmy D too, even with terrible Sherman those offenses were actually quite fun to watch. Hayden was a great rb recruiter
Yeah they were fun to watch. The reason I think Shaw was better is because he could run through arm tackles. Banks was fast and could cut back like you said, but if a defender got a hand on him he would go down. I wonder how great he could have been with just a little more power and strength to go with his other abilities.

Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas. In this case, the backup was better. just ask Barry Switzer.
The thing about Morris and Thomas was that I had never heard of either......until they went to The League. These guys were playing together in college for an 8-3 never heard of a college from the middle of nowhere in west Texas......and both became all pro running backs as professionals!

The thing about Morris and Thomas was that I had never heard of either......until they went to The League. These guys were playing together in college for an 8-3 never heard of a college from the middle of nowhere in west Texas......and both became all pro running backs as professionals!
I'm not sure what you're talking about, the discussion is about Thomas and Sanders. They played for Oklahoma State and went 10-2 in '87 (Thomas) and '88 (Sanders). Sanders did back Thomas up and took the full time reins in 1988.

In 2005 the Chargers had Faulk, Tomlinson and Sproles in their backfield. I’d say that one.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, the discussion is about Thomas and Sanders. They played for Oklahoma State and went 10-2 in '87 (Thomas) and '88 (Sanders). Sanders did back Thomas up and took the full time reins in 1988.
No....the original question is "who is the best duo RB tandum you ever saw live?" Mine...since I started the thread was Mercury Morris and Duane Thomas from West Texas State, back in 1967....I had heard of neither until that night in Las Cruces......a few years later, EVERYONE had heard of Morris and Thomas as they were tearing up The League of Sunday. Those two guys were teammates and running mates at West Texas State.....Thomas was primarily Morris' "blocking back"........The only tandum (that played together at the same time) other I saw mentioned that were teammates were probably the Pony Express lads from SMU (Dickerson and James).....But then, it just struck me......PSU had Lydel Mitchell and Franco Harris in the same backfield....Mitchell was the college stud AA.....and professionally, it was all about Franco.

No....the original question is "who is the best duo RB tandum you ever saw live?" Mine...since I started the thread was Mercury Morris and Duane Thomas from West Texas State, back in 1967....I had heard of neither until that night in Las Cruces......a few years later, EVERYONE had heard of Morris and Thomas as they were tearing up The League of Sunday. Those two guys were teammates and running mates at West Texas State.....Thomas was primarily Morris' "blocking back"........The only tandum (that played together at the same time) other I saw mentioned that were teammates were probably the Pony Express lads from SMU (Dickerson and James).....But then, it just struck me......PSU had Lydel Mitchell and Franco Harris in the same backfield....Mitchell was the college stud AA.....and professionally, it was all about Franco.
You were replying to the Thomas/Sanders discussion.

*tandem

Well stated.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT