ADVERTISEMENT

Inconsistent foods

ping72

HR Legend
Jan 14, 2009
Which grocery store foods do you find to be inconsistent in quality?

Preparation in restaurants will obviously change quality, so that’s not what we’re talking about. And obviously fruit and vegetables are going to vary. But what other foods?

I will throw out cottage cheese. It always amazes me how drastically different two containers of the same brand can be. Sometimes it’s fantastic and sometimes it’s not very good at all.

Reactions: Moral
Turkey varies dramatically. Sometime it’s fabulous; sometimes it tastes like the quality they give you in 5th grade.

Even from good quality vendors like Boar’s Head.

Reactions: Moral and ping72
Well, with produce you are limited by the cycle of the seasons. Right now we are still getting most of our produce from Mexico or South America which significantly affects their flavor (or lack of it). If people weren't so scared of that type of genetic modifications you would be able to get much better produce this time of year (which is weird, because modifying genes is something humans have been doing for the entirety of human civilization. In fact, it is one of the big reasons humans were able to create civilizations).

At any rate, we are almost back to the growing season in the northern hemisphere so produce should start tasting much better here in a couple months.

Which grocery store foods do you find to be inconsistent in quality?

Preparation in restaurants will obviously change quality, so that’s not what we’re talking about. And obviously fruit and vegetables are going to vary. But what other foods?

I will throw out cottage cheese. It always amazes me how drastically different two containers of the same brand can be. Sometimes it’s fantastic and sometimes it’s not very good at all.
I can't say I've ever noticed difference in cottage cheese or anything other than fresh produce. I suppose the biggest percent change would be a Jack's frozen pepperoni pizza, where if they give you 4 pepperonis instead of 5, that is like a 20% reduction in pepperoni.

Hy-nese is wildly dependent on the location and how fresh it is.
Same with Pancheros anymore.

To answer the question here though, I get frustrated w/ jalapenos sometimes. The spice level varies a huge amount. I could get a few on Sunday that have some decent heat/taste, and then go back on Tuesday and get a few more than have zero heat but still taste good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT