ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana @ Iowa Baseball

Mar 14, 2003
Looks like the series has been pushed back a day due to weather and will be Sat-Sun-Mon now with start times of 3pm, 2pm, and 1pm. I am glad they are making an effort to get all three games in. It seems some B1G schools don't make the effort.

With the push back, Iowa will have five games in five days as they are scheduled to take on Kansas on Tue/Wed in Iowa City.

Iowa will go with Mathews, Kuebel, and Peyton against Indiana.

Indiana is going with DeNato, Morris, and TBA. Denato and Morris both have an ERA of 2.22 and 2.23. In addition to these two, Indiana has four other pitchers they use on a regular basis and the highest ERA is 3.14. It's going to be tough sledding in Iowa City this weekend, we really need three great starts.

Also worth nothing that Cal Eldred's son C.J. Eldred is a freshman pitcher for Indiana.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

Also worth nothing that Cal Eldred's son C.J. Eldred is a freshman pitcher for Indiana.
From Mt Vernon.

PREP/PERSONAL[/B]
Three-time all-conference performer ... also lettered in basketball ... the son of Cal and Christi Eldred ... Cal played Major League Baseball for 14 years (1991-2001, 2003-05) ... born on May 6, 1995 ... has a brother, Luke; and three sisters, Emily, Abby and Hollee ... an Exploratory major

Looked up HS stats. No pitching stats his senior year. .300 hitter.

Junior year stats weren't much either.

What am I missing here?

Originally posted by chetchet:
From Mt Vernon.

PREP/PERSONAL[/B]
Three-time all-conference performer ... also lettered in basketball ... the son of Cal and Christi Eldred ... Cal played Major League Baseball for 14 years (1991-2001, 2003-05) ... born on May 6, 1995 ... has a brother, Luke; and three sisters, Emily, Abby and Hollee ... an Exploratory major

Looked up HS stats. No pitching stats his senior year. .300 hitter.

Junior year stats weren't much either.

What am I missing here?
I was thinking the same. Those are rather pedestrian numbers.

Iowa loses to Indiana in game by the score of 6-3. Indiana had four homeruns on the day. Indiana scored five of their six runs in the 3rd inning. Kyle Schwarber had a two run HR, Sam Travis had two solo HR's and Scott Donley had a HR for Indiana.

Iowa did score three runs of their own in the sixth inning.

It's going to be tough sledding the remaining two games of this series, I am not sure Iowa has the pitching to keep Indiana at bay to get a win and/or two. I was afraid of this happening this weekend, which is why it was imperative to not give away the Michigan series like Iowa did.

Hopefully Iowa can find a way to win at least one as getting swept puts Iowa at 3-6 in the B1G and probably in 8th place with A LOT of work to do and with the likes of Illinois, Minnesota, and Ohio State still on the schedule.

Iowa also left 12 on base today, which seems to be a theme of B1G play so far.
This post was edited on 4/5 7:31 PM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

Iowa loses game two to Indiana by the score of 14-3. This game was literally over before it even began it seemed, as Sasha Kuebel got the start and only threw 1/3 of an inning (21 pitches) and gave up 7 hits and 5 runs before being pulled. Iowa then gave up three more runs in the 8th and it was an 8-0 ballgame before you know it.

I will say this, Matt Allen a Fr. Pitcher was a bright spot for Iowa today, he game in after Kuebel and Shulista got beat up pretty bad and threw 6 2/3 solid innings. At one point he had only give up four hits and two earned runs in that time which would be a quality start. He did go into the 9th and have a HBP and gave up a HR which made his final numbers 6 2/3 with 5 hits and 4 ER. However, if you can get 6 2/3 out of any pitcher and they give up 4-5 hits and 2-4 runs. I will take that.

Iowa is now 16-11 and 3-5 in the B1G. It will be tough against Indiana on Monday as well, Iowa is facing 16-12 and 3-6 in the B1G with two more games against Kansas on Tue/Wed. KU just took 2/3 from Kansas State.

The 3-6 B1G record concerns me as that puts Iowa solely in 8th place (the last spot in the B1G tournament) with NW, Purdue, and tOSU the teams behind us. OSU had an awful weekend against Nebraska and some fluke loses, Iowa still has to face them and it wont be easy. If Iowa could get to 4-5 in the B1G that would be huge.

However, as I have said. Losing that Michigan series was a bad deal for Iowa as I had a feeling they could have a weekend like this against Indiana.

What was the fluke losses by OSU? Nebraska had some amazing pitching this weekend and got some timely hits. All three of NU's starting pitchers threw complete games this weekend. Nebraska hasn't had a guy throw a complete game in four years, and now got three in a row.

Originally posted by Alum-Ni:
What was the fluke losses by OSU? Nebraska had some amazing pitching this weekend and got some timely hits. All three of NU's starting pitchers threw complete games this weekend. Nebraska hasn't had a guy throw a complete game in four years, and now got three in a row.
I think you may have answered your own question.

In addition you win two games in a row with walk-offs in the Bottom 9th with 2 outs? What are the odds/chances of that? I mean credit to Nebraska for battling, but you don't see that every day.

Iowa loses to Indiana today 5-3. Iowa was leading 1-0 headed into the 8th after Tyler Peyton had thrown 7 scoreless innings, Peyton gave up an initial single in the 8th and was pulled in favor of Tyler Radtke who gave up four hits and four earned runs along with allowing the runner who was Peyton's responsibility to score. He only lasted 1/3 of an inning, with the only out being on a SAC bunt. Nick Hibbing did come in and close the door on Indiana as he threw 1 2/3 perfect innings with a K. Hibbing was pretty good against Indiana this weekend as the only run he allowed was on a solo HR in Saturdays game.

Iowa scored one run in the 5th and attempted to rally against one of Indiana's better pitchers in Scott Effross as they had three straight singles to load the bases followed by a strike out then an additional RBI single by Eric Toole to make the score 5-2 and a Roscetti fly out to make it 5-3. However, Indiana's lead proved to be too much and getting four hits and two runs on a guy like Effross is a lot let alone what it needed to take to tie/win the game.

It's a shame too as you can't ask from more from a guy like Tyler Peyton in a start against Indiana. The problem for Iowa as it has been all year despite some of the success we have had is the Jekyl/Hyde pitching we get. We don't have a go to guy that can constantly come in and close the door on team. Someone that is good one weekend will come in and be just plain bad another and vice versa. I definitely think the injuries to Kaufman and Martsching have hurt this team A LOT this year and we don't have the depth you need or want in the pen.

Iowa is now 16-12 and 3-6 in the B1G and solely in 8th place with OSU and Purdue right below us. Iowa is essentially two games out of 7th at this point as Michigan sits there at 4-5 in the B1G. Iowa has two tough midweek games against Kansas on Tue/Wed before heading to Northwestern this weekend. My concern at this point is Iowa's arms in the pen, they will be spent after the KU games and only really have one day before a big series against NW. I hate to label anything must wins, but I think Iowa at a minimum needs to take 2/3 from NW or this season could quickly go from promising to what we've seen the last few years.
This post was edited on 4/7 3:53 PM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

Originally posted by Alum-Ni

just about everything you posted would be consistent with being a fluke
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Nebraska's starting pitching has been very good all year....they just hadn't gone the distance yet. Its been the bullpen that has derailed Nebraska most of the time.

The last game against OSU saw Nebraska string together three straight hits before the walk off hit to win it. I don't call it a fluke.....but to each their own.

Looks like Indiana is really starting to play up to their expectations.

Good luck with your games this week

Originally posted by IowaHa...B4Life

Iowa loses to Indiana today 5-3. Iowa was leading 1-0 headed into the 8th after Tyler Peyton had thrown 7 scoreless innings, Peyton gave up an initial single in the 8th and was pulled in favor of Tyler Radtke who gave up four hits and four earned runs along with allowing the runner who was Peyton's responsibility to score. He only lasted 1/3 of an inning, with the only out being on a SAC bunt. Nick Hibbing did come in and close the door on Indiana as he threw 1 2/3 perfect innings with a K. Hibbing was pretty good against Indiana this weekend as the only run he allowed was on a solo HR in Saturdays game.

Iowa scored one run in the 5th and attempted to rally against one of Indiana's better pitchers in Scott Effross as they had three straight singles to load the bases followed by a strike out then an additional RBI single by Eric Toole to make the score 5-2 and a Roscetti fly out to make it 5-3. However, Indiana's lead proved to be too much and getting four hits and two runs on a guy like Effross is a lot let alone what it needed to take to tie/win the game.

It's a shame too as you can't ask from more from a guy like Tyler Peyton in a start against Indiana. The problem for Iowa as it has been all year despite some of the success we have had is the Jekyl/Hyde pitching we get. We don't have a go to guy that can constantly come in and close the door on team. Someone that is good one weekend will come in and be just plain bad another and vice versa. I definitely think the injuries to Kaufman and Martsching have hurt this team A LOT this year and we don't have the depth you need or want in the pen.

Iowa is now 16-12 and 3-6 in the B1G and solely in 8th place with OSU and Purdue right below us. Iowa is essentially two games out of 7th at this point as Michigan sits there at 4-5 in the B1G. Iowa has two tough midweek games against Kansas on Tue/Wed before heading to Northwestern this weekend. My concern at this point is Iowa's arms in the pen, they will be spent after the KU games and only really have one day before a big series against NW. I hate to label anything must wins, but I think Iowa at a minimum needs to take 2/3 from NW or this season could quickly go from promising to what we've seen the last few years.
This post was edited on 4/7 3:53 PM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

you seem very frustrated. but i think you should look at the big picture here and remember what is really going on.

being swept by IU right now isnt the end of the world. 2 of the games were very competitive.

yes, the Michigan series was hard to swallow but they were good games and honestly, historically UM is a tough place for iowa.

bottom line is, Heller has barely had a chance to get going and weve all seen enough already to know this is a good fit.

the players seem to have bought in. there is no UNI to compete with, we took 2 of 3 from UN. if anyone can shut the door on the state recruiting wise, its Rick.

very big facility and turf upgrades and better indoor practice opportunities have been made.

barring a total collapse, the future is bright.

its tempting to look at whats happened the last 2 weekends and panic. thinking that "here we go again"

we are in a much better situation today than we were even 1 yr ago

keep the faith.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I do admit the last two weekends have been frustrating. I would say Michigan more than Indiana, because it's easy to vision 4-2 or 5-1 when you look back at the Michigan games.

With that being said, I also believe the future is bright. Iowa's recruiting class has me excited, they are all pretty well regarded on PerfectGame, I just hope we don't lose any of them to the draft.

What's attendance been like at Iowa with the facility upgrades and the new coaching staff? Just saw a tweet today that the three-day attendance in Lincoln for the Nebraska/Ohio State series was 9,249. The total attendance from the other 15 Big Ten games combined this past weekend was 9,545. I'd really like to see Big Ten baseball take off.....and with all the money that schools around the league are starting to put into facilities I hope fans get into it more as well.

(I realize the weather isn't always cooperative, and there's still basketball and hockey and such to keep fans away at this time of year, but hopefully folks start showing up more at the ballparks)

What's attendance been like at Iowa with the facility upgrades and the new coaching staff? Just saw a tweet today that the three-day attendance in Lincoln for the Nebraska/Ohio State series was 9,249. The total attendance from the other 15 Big Ten games combined this past weekend was 9,545. I'd really like to see Big Ten baseball take off.....and with all the money that schools around the league are starting to put into facilities I hope fans get into it more as well.

(I realize the weather isn't always cooperative, and there's still basketball and hockey and such to keep fans away at this time of year, but hopefully folks start showing up more at the ballparks)
Outside of turf and netting behind home plate we haven't seen much for upgrades. Coach Heller has mentioned numerous times that they hope to either build new west of the current stadium or totally upgrade the current set up. Him taking the job came only after Barta promised him upgrades in the future.

I can't speak first hand to the attendance this year but it sounds like there was a nice crowd this past weekend. Iowa fans have not been lucky enough to enjoy the success and facilities the Huskers have but it does seem the conference is upping the status quo.

Are they talking an entire new baseball stadium at some point?
There's been talk of it for awhile. Either they'll completely redo Duane Banks or build a joint complex with track and softball on the west side of town. Building west would enable the university to provide indoor facilities for baseball and softball. Heller was promised facility upgrades so hopefully something will come soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT