ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana to host '17 B1G Baseball Tournament

2bagger22

HR Heisman
Sep 9, 2008
Cold One City, USA
In Bloomington.

Stupid if you ask me. I understand TD Ameritrade is a no-go this year due to the Big East but I thought the conference had moved away from on-campus tournaments. Indiana has a great ballpark but a neutral site would go along way in drawing fans.

In Bloomington.

Stupid if you ask me. I understand TD Ameritrade is a no-go this year due to the Big East but I thought the conference had moved away from on-campus tournaments. Indiana has a great ballpark but a neutral site would go along way in drawing fans.

I don't like this either. It should have been a neutral site.

Kind of a pipe dream, but my ideal location is CHS Field in St. Paul, home of the Saints. 8,000 seats and a perfect location.

Actually I think Victory Field would be the perfect location--geographically right in the middle of the conference. Downtown Indy is loaded with great restaurants and shops, and is one of the best pedestrian friendly big cities you'll ever see. Not to mention the stadium/facilities are great.

The problem is that little race they hold over that specific weekend.

Actually I think Victory Field would be the perfect location--geographically right in the middle of the conference. Downtown Indy is loaded with great restaurants and shops, and is one of the best pedestrian friendly big cities you'll ever see. Not to mention the stadium/facilities are great.

The problem is that little race they hold over that specific weekend.

I can absolutely get behind Victory Field. I just hope we don't remit to on-campus sites each year again; the conference has come a long ways since the mid-2000s.

Agreed. There are plenty of relatively well located minor league ball parks across the Midwest that could potentially host the BIG Tournament. A cursory internet check in the last 5 minutes shows this year alone 2 Midwest League locations (Peoria and Ft. Wayne) would be open during that time frame.

I'm guessing IU is cutting the conference a sweetheart deal (not charging anywhere near as much as a minor league park) and is probably being rewarded with a partial cut of the gate in addition to being able to host.

Part of the reason they were picked is their fans fill the seats.

Agreed. There are plenty of relatively well located minor league ball parks across the Midwest that could potentially host the BIG Tournament. A cursory internet check in the last 5 minutes shows this year alone 2 Midwest League locations (Peoria and Ft. Wayne) would be open during that time frame.

I'm guessing IU is cutting the conference a sweetheart deal (not charging anywhere near as much as a minor league park) and is probably being rewarded with a partial cut of the gate in addition to being able to host.

Part of the reason they were picked is their fans fill the seats.

You are likely correct. I can't imagine the rest of the league's coaches are thrilled that Indiana gets to host. The park in Omaha was good, but holding the tournament in the western-most outpost in the league made is difficult for fans from Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Maryland/Jersey to get there. Chicago area or Indianapolis would make the most sense geographically. But of course, the B1G is hosting the basketball tournament in New York city so what do I know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT