ADVERTISEMENT

Intel received $8.5 billion in government money a few months ago

Turns out turning out advanced chips is really hard. If it wasn't dozens of countries would be producing them and Taiwan wouldn't have basically cornered the market.

Definitely worth the effort but it ain't easy.

It's a national security issue and we have to make the effort...don't know how successful we'll be.

Last edited:
Turns out turning out advanced chips is really hard. If it wasn't dozens, of countries would be producing them and Taiwan wouldn't have basically cornered the market.

Definitely worth the effort but it ain't easy.

It's a national security issue and we have to make the effort...don't know how successful we'll be.

If it is so difficult, you would think they need the employees. Guarantee CEO, CFO, and BOD get pay raises.

If it is so difficult, you would think they need the employees. Guarantee CEO, CFO, and BOD get pay raises.
It's pretty obviously difficult or China/Russia would be churning them out to improve their tech. Taiwan produces 92% of them for a reason...because they're the best at it and other countries have a hard time replicating that.

Basically why defending Taiwan is in the US national interest at this point.

Last edited:
It's pretty obviously difficult or China/Russia would be churning them up to improve their tech. Taiwan produces 92% of them for a reason...because they're the best at it and other countries have a hard time replicating that.

The tech is here. The knowledge is here. We have just relied upon them to keep their economy booming.

I have been saying that for years. If I am saying it the corporations and the government are aware too but have decided profit is more important than security.
Is it that or that we just can't do it?

I hope your statement is the correct one.

I have no idea what goes into making an advanced chip and why Taiwan is so good at it. We dumped a bunch of cash in the chips bill so we'll see how it goes.

Reactions: Moral
Is it that or that we just can't do it?

I hope your statement is the correct one.

I have no idea what goes into making an advanced chip and why Taiwan is so good at it. We dumped a bunch of cash in the chips bill so we'll see how it goes.

They can do it, chips have been made here before. Hopefully we can recapture some of that manufacturing.

They can do it, chips have been made here before. Hopefully we can recapture some of that manufacturing.
We just need to produce enough to sustain the U.S, "west" and other allies. Don't know what percentage that entails...

We also need a plan for Taiwanese production if they fall...can't let China get that type of upgrade in tech.

It's pretty obviously difficult or China/Russia would be churning them out to improve their tech. Taiwan produces 92% of them for a reason...because they're the best at it and other countries have a hard time replicating that.

It’s one of the most water intensive processes in Manufacturing too, so it is a fantastic idea that they’re putting many in Arizona.

They have now announced they plan to layoff 15,000 people.

Government money at work. $8.5 billion in grants. $11 billion in loans.

Those are global layoffs.

They are STILL BUILDING the labs, which will generate new jobs in the areas they are being set up.
Which means MORE jobs in American cities and states.

Intel’s Future Strategy​

Despite the challenges, Intel is not merely downsizing; it’s also repositioning for the future. As part of its future strategy, Intel has revealed plans for substantial investments in new production facilities, including a $28 billion commitment to construct two new semiconductor plants in Ohio.

This move is part of Intel’s IDM 2.0 strategy, which aims to regain leadership in chip manufacturing and expand into the foundry business.

The company is also focusing on diversifying its product portfolio, with increased emphasis on areas like artificial intelligence, autonomous driving, and edge computing. These initiatives could potentially create new job opportunities in the future, albeit with a different skill set than those being eliminated in the current restructuring.

I'm not in favor of corporate welfare. There was a time when there were laws against allowing advanced technology being allowed to be produced offshore, especially China.

Reactions: seminoleed
It's less about government waste and more about Nvidia and AMD kicking Intel's ass. The fact that Nvidia has transformed itself 3 largest company in the US is why Intel is struggling.
Intel blew a ton of money on the mcafee acquisition and fiddled around with it only for EU to blow it up. Then got hit hard by the supply chain stuff. It was then that AMD became a real practical alternative in the enterprise and now that AMD has performed well, they’re a real threat.

Nvda a bit different. They’ve won the GPU game and were way out in front. Intel a classic case of a mega company that fails to innovate at the level of their hungry competitors.

It's less about government waste and more about Nvidia and AMD kicking Intel's ass. The fact that Nvidia has transformed itself 3 largest company in the US is why Intel is struggling.
Nvidia just happened to have chip structures that were compatible with AI processing methods.
They built on that - recognized that in the early stages of AI and exploited their tech/resources for it.

Intel did not have anything in that area, and has to build up to match it.

They’ve won the GPU game and were way out in front. Intel a classic case of a mega company that fails to innovate at the level of their hungry competitors.

Intel was not a player in the same area as Nvidia when AI was developing.
Different market segments.

Intel is so poorly run. They had the lead in CPUs and GPUs and made some terrible decisions about where the technology was going.

Intel was absolutely a player in GPUs.
They were always behind Nvidia

Graphics cards were not their "thing", while AMD and Nvidia were only doing that, for years. They only started doing GPUs to fit graphics onto their main CPU chips for laptops, and most of the GPU stuff was never clocking as well as the dedicated stuff from those main makers.

When AI turned out to be a tailor-made problem for GPU style architecture, the companies leading in that area were better positioned to take advantage of it. Nvidia recognized that before anyone else did, including AMD.

Reactions: Ree4
intel been making AI chips for years. They suck. The plane analogy is good in a sense that intel has failed to innovate to enable them to build the airbus size plane.

Theyre still huge, this government money is insignificant and the layoff is not going to kill them by any stretch. They have 125k employees - nvda has 30k. One is a story of growth and the future. One is an old maid with a massive trust fund.

Graphics cards were not their "thing", while AMD and Nvidia were only doing that, for years. They only started doing GPUs to fit graphics onto their main CPU chips for laptops, and most of the GPU stuff was never clocking as well as the dedicated stuff from those main makers.

When AI turned out to be a tailor-made problem for GPU style architecture, the companies leading in that area were better positioned to take advantage of it. Nvidia recognized that before anyone else did, including AMD.
Agreed. When shopping for 6 different GPUs over the last 20 years I dont even remember hearing about Intel. AMD/Nvidia was the choice every time - I always bought Nvidia. I bought a 4070Ti about a year ago when they first released and an Intel card wasn't even a consideration.

Intel GPUs were never close to competitive from my recollection.

I generally use Intel for CPUs though.

Project Larrabee scared the hell out of the industry. It would have given Intel a huge advantage in crypto and AI. They abandoned it because the only application at the time was gaming and CGI rendering.

Project Larrabee scared the hell out of the industry. It would have given Intel a huge advantage in crypto and AI. They abandoned it because the only application at the time was gaming and CGI rendering.
Correct: Intel did not see the "new market" being created. They only viewed the gaming/CGI market share, which was competitive and they were behind the curve.

Reactions: cohawk
You guys are way more intelligent than me on this subject......

family-guy-done-peter-griffin-walk-out-gw04l0hryqm2e87s.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4 and win4jj
Intel was absolutely a player in GPUs. They just abandoned dedicated GPUs to focus on SoC architecture.
Intel is way behind and has seen shallow adoption of its ONEApi framework. It's antiquated technology. It's just reentering the space.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT