ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comments from Beathard

downtown hawk redux

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2006
Lewisville
I thought C.J. had some interesting things to say in his interview with the BTN guys. Acknowledged they missed some open balls deep on posts and go routes. Used "we" missed the reads, but not much of a secret about who was playing at the time. Don't get me wrong here, I thought a lot of Jake Rudock and there were times I thought criticism of him was unfair, but that said, he had a penchant for not letting some of those routes develop and in the Nebraska game especially, he just flat missed guys who were running wide open.

Aside from that, there was a lot to like about what he said in terms of trying to change the culture and working hard with the young guys to bring them along quicker. I think ultimately, however tortured the route to him starting was, it's the right move. Seems like the guys are responding to him and his upside and ceiling is pretty high. For as much as we need to be able to run it consistently, him being able to stretch defenses and perpetuate the threat of tucking it and running, could be the difference in the helping the o-line and running game being more effective. We will, however, have to throw it well to contend because at least initially, teams will try to stack it up on us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News