ADVERTISEMENT

Internet providers

IAFB2021Champs

HR Heisman
Feb 6, 2012
What are some of the best internet providers for a decent rate?

We have a local internet provider and it does a great job but every year the price keeps going up.

I was at US Cellular the other day and noticed they were advertising their WiFi, does anyone use a cellular companies WiFi and do they like it?

Just trying to see what’s out there and possibly save some money. TIA

I switched from comcast to metronet about 6 months ago and it's been great so far. 1 Gb upload/download for about $70/month.

Reactions: noleclone2
What are some of the best internet providers for a decent rate?

We have a local internet provider and it does a great job but every year the price keeps going up.

I was at US Cellular the other day and noticed they were advertising their WiFi, does anyone use a cellular companies WiFi and do they like it?

Just trying to see what’s out there and possibly save some money. TIA
I checked on US Cellular just the other day. Decent rate and all but sketchy up at the summer home in NW Wi since up there they use other towers and my phone is roaming. Using CenturyTel now just sucks

The bigger question is, do you have fiber directly to your house or would you jump off at a DMARC off your property?

We recently moved and now have fiber to the house and it's been great (after we upgraded the in home wifi). I had IMON for many years which wasn't connected to the house and the speeds were a fraction of what I could get once fiber was directly connected. It made a difference in service as well.

T-mobile is my favorite and cheap. I don't use a lot of data or gaming though.

Yeah, we switched to that last year after hoping Verizon would come available. Good deal, supposedly will never go up, no wires to worry about, and I like it because it confuses the location trackers for sports blackouts. I can watch the Cubs through the MLB pass (which T Mobile gives for free) since the towers show my location as the Minneapolis area instead of eastern Iowa.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
The bigger question is, do you have fiber directly to your house or would you jump off at a DMARC off your property?

We recently moved and now have fiber to the house and it's been great (after we upgraded the in home wifi). I had IMON for many years which wasn't connected to the house and the speeds were a fraction of what I could get once fiber was directly connected. It made a difference in service as well.
They are currently putting fiber optics in the ditches by our house. I guess I’m not sure if they plan to run it to the house or not. reguardless I feel the speed we have now is getting the job done but it seems expensive for only internet service and I worry it will got up with the fiber optic work they are doing.
Just curious if anyone has some good service for around the $70 or less range.

They are currently putting fiber optics in the ditches by our house. I guess I’m not sure if they plan to run it to the house or not. reguardless I feel the speed we have now is getting the job done but it seems expensive for only internet service and I worry it will got up with the fiber optic work they are doing.

Really, your local providers are your best options. The national carriers (Starlink or Hughes) start above that threshold. Not sure I'm ready to trust 5G, and I assume the "unlimited" package is expensive.

What are you looking for in a provider? How much bandwidth would you expect for $70 MRR?

Had a beer last night with a neighbor that lives maybe 150 yards from my house. He switched from Mediacom cable internet (about $120/mo) to Verizon internet for $40/mo. Five year price guarantee.

First thing I did when I got home was to check availability at my address. Not available.

:mad::rolleyes:

Had a beer last night with a neighbor that lives maybe 150 yards from my house. He switched from Mediacom cable internet (about $120/mo) to Verizon internet for $40/mo. Five year price guarantee.

First thing I did when I got home was to check availability at my address. Not available.

My Mediacom internet is $75/mo.

Do you live in the boonies where the neighbor is 5 miles away?? Seems odd it wouldn’t be available to you otherwise.

What area of Iowa? I think metronet is installing their infrastructure out there so it could be them digging those trenches. They did the same thing in my neighborhood about a year ago (dug trenches, buried fiber) and metronet fiber service became available shortly after.

We have Mediacom. Except for a few short outages of the last few years been pretty satisfied. The price is creeping up. I'm paying 90 a month for 200 megabits. When I do a speed test the actual speed is more like 3-350. Haven't had to deal with customer service much though.

We have Mediacom. Except for a few short outages of the last few years been pretty satisfied. The price is creeping up. I'm paying 90 a month for 200 megabits. When I do a speed test the actual speed is more like 3-350. Haven't had to deal with customer service much though.
Mine is $75 for 100 mg with speeds over that.

Metro-net is digging a lot of holes in our neighborhood and laying a lot of fiber cable. Anyone try using fiber?

Mediacom,.. not cheap, but very good service.
I think you might be the only person i have ever heard or seen say Mediacom and very good service in the same sentence. Do you work for them?
I had them when I lived in Marion and it was the worst internet service I’ve ever had.

I think you might be the only person i have ever heard or seen say Mediacom and very good service in the same sentence. Do you work for them?
I had them when I lived in Marion and it was the worst internet service I’ve ever had.
Depends on location. We just moved and our new area has been very reliable, our old not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT