ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa’s Joni Ernst proposes fentanyl search on all vehicles at Southern border

Jesus Christ, that might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

Fentanyl is killing roughly 75,000 Americans per year. That’s almost twice as many as the number of people killed by guns. And almost all of the fentanyl in the United States was manufactured in Mexico before being smuggled into this country.

If almost all of the guns in the United States had been manufactured in Mexico and then smuggled into this country, would you say it’s merely a gun problem or would you say we have a border problem?
Mexican dude reading this thinking about where all the guns in Mexico come from.

Reactions: globalhawk
S
I honestly can’t believe some of the comments I’m reading in this thread. We’re not talking about a relatively harmless drug like marijuana here.

Synthetic opioids are killing twice as many Americans as guns do. And the prevailing sentiment in this thread seems to be “fvck it, just let it happen.”
Surely you are old enough to realize that Prohibition couldn’t stop alcohol and the War on Drugs can’t stop dope.
Not as long as there are willing buyers. If you stop the demand, there will be no supply. Good luck with that.

Legalize dope, tax it, and lessen the effects of black money on civil societies. Maximize treatment efforts to wean people off of dope. Bust the chops of legal drug pushers, AKA big pharma.

Sounds great in theory but nearly impossible when dealing with the reality of it. With ~200 deaths a day from fentanyl alone in the US, it is a serious domestic problem that lacks a viable solution.

S

Surely you are old enough to realize that Prohibition couldn’t stop alcohol and the War on Drugs can’t stop dope.
Not as long as there are willing buyers. If you stop the demand, there will be no supply. Good luck with that.

Legalize dope, tax it, and lessen the effects of black money on civil societies. Maximize treatment efforts to wean people off of dope. Bust the chops of legal drug pushers, AKA big pharma.
The problem is that the Sinaloa and Jalisco cartels are distributing identical knockoffs of pills that are legal. They’re making fake Xanax, OxyContin, and Percocet pills that are laced with fentanyl. Those drugs are perfectly legal if you have a prescription. But people are buying knockoffs on the black market, not realizing it might contain a deadly dose of fentanyl.

This is a whole new level of danger for illegal drugs. Cocaine and heroin are/were destructive drugs at the height of the war on drugs. But people who were addicted to them could get treatment and get sober. Just one of these fentanyl-laced pills can kill a person.

70,000+ dead per year. 200 every day. Twice as many as the number of people who are killed by guns.

I don’t think “just legalize it” is the best course of action.

The problem is that the Sinaloa and Jalisco cartels are distributing identical knockoffs of pills that are legal. They’re making fake Xanax, OxyContin, and Percocet pills that are laced with fentanyl. Those drugs are perfectly legal if you have a prescription. But people are buying knockoffs on the black market, not realizing it might contain a deadly dose of fentanyl.

This is a whole new level of danger for illegal drugs. Cocaine and heroin are/were destructive drugs at the height of the war on drugs. But people who were addicted to them could get treatment and get sober. Just one of these fentanyl-laced pills can kill a person.

70,000+ dead per year. 200 every day. Twice as many as the number of people who are killed by guns.

You still don’t address the “market”.
We will never stop the supply.
Chinese chemicals mixed by cartels are a clear and present danger for sure, but it is still a matter of slowing/stopping the need for a black market.
You ever wonder why so many people turn to dope as a user or as a seller?

This is a really good argument for legalizing and regulating the market. If you have regulated supply of narcotics whose origin and make up are known then you increase safety. These imitation products are being produced as a means to circumvent the law. We need safe use facilities with accompanying treatment programs. I agree that these aren't the type of drugs that you want used recreationally, but enforcement is going to continue to cause all of the associated criminal side effects. The focus has to be on reducing demand.

Reactions: billanole
This is a really good argument for legalizing and regulating the market. If you have regulated supply of narcotics whose origin and make up are known then you increase safety. These imitation products are being produced as a means to circumvent the law. We need safe use facilities with accompanying treatment programs. I agree that these aren't the type of drugs that you want used recreationally, but enforcement is going to continue to cause all of the associated criminal side effects. The focus has to be on reducing demand.
Xanax, OxyContin, and Percocet are legal and regulated. Are you arguing that we should make them available OTC in order to decrease the demand for fakes?

And while I agree that it’s important to try to decrease the demand, in this particular case we’re talking about drugs that are far more lethal than anything we’ve dealt with before. We need to target the precursor chemicals coming from China, the manufacturing and processing in Mexico, and the distribution networks across the border and into our neighborhoods.

Xanax, OxyContin, and Percocet are legal and regulated. Are you arguing that we should make them available OTC in order to decrease the demand for fakes?

And while I agree that it’s important to try to decrease the demand, in this particular case we’re talking about drugs that are far more lethal than anything we’ve dealt with before. We need to target the precursor chemicals coming from China, the manufacturing and processing in Mexico, and the distribution networks across the border and into our neighborhoods.
The drugs might be legal but the user is buying them illegally. They don't have a prescription. Hence they do to the black market.

Reactions: billanole
You seem to not understand this simple concept.
I understand exactly how the concept works, as evidenced by this query:

“Are you arguing that we should make them available OTC in order to decrease the demand for fakes?”

But thanks for chiming in. You’ve turned into quite the little stalker bitch lately.

I have a very fatalist view of the drug war, but I’m all for seeking out and eliminating the people counterfeiting drugs.

They killed Mac Miller.

Last edited:
Reactions: globalhawk
I understand exactly how the concept works, as evidenced by this query:

“Are you arguing that we should make them available OTC in order to decrease the demand for fakes?”

But thanks for chiming in. You’ve turned into quite the little stalker bitch lately.
I wasn't even talking about OTC. Stalker? Haha. You just can't help but doubling down on your stupid posts. You have become entertainment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT