ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa 37th in ESPN FPI that was just released

Here, ESPN has Iowa ranked #23 in the country and the 5th best team in the B1G.

Of the 4 B1G teams ranked ahead of Iowa, we only play one of them in the regular season (Ohio State). That is why I think 11-1 or 10-2 is totally possible.

8 of the 18 B1G teams are mentioned in what follows.

College Football post-spring Top 25 Rankings

i

Mark Schlabach,
ESPN Senior Writer
May 20, 2024

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Oregon
5. Notre Dame
6. Ole Miss
7. Alabama
8 Missouri
9. Utah
10. Michigan
11. Florida State
12. Penn State
13. NC State
14. LSU
15. Tennessee
16. Clemson
17. Kansas State
18. Oklahoma
19. Oklahoma State
20. Arizona
21. Virginia Tech
22. Kansas

23. Iowa Hawkeyes

Spring update: Who got a louder roar in Iowa City this past spring? Former college women's basketball star Caitlin Clark when she led Iowa to the national championship game? Or football coach Kirk Ferentz when he announced the Hawkeyes were taking new offensive coordinator Tim Lester's playbook and "going with it"? Under Brian Ferentz, the former offensive coordinator and coach's son, the Hawkeyes ranked 132nd in the FBS in scoring (15.4 points) and 130th in passing (118.6 yards) last season. Somehow, they finished 10-4 and played Michigan for a Big Ten title. Imagine what they'll do if they average 21 points? Quarterback Cade McNamara was limited in the spring after tearing the ACL in his left knee in early October. The receiver room is thin, and Ferentz said the offensive line needs to do a better job blocking. But at least they know coordinator Phil Parker's defense is going to be salty with eight starters back.

24. Miami
25. USC

New teams in:
Virginia Tech, Iowa, USC
Dropped out: Louisville, Kentucky, Texas A&M

Just missed: Wisconsin, West Virginia, Texas A&M, Louisville, Kentucky, Washington, Boise State, Air Force, Liberty

Basically we have NO offense, in the eyes of God and everyone, until:
(1) The Fossil gets out of the way of the Offense and allows the OC freedom;
and
(2) IF #1 happens, the OC proves competent at the P5 level (who knows at this point).
Plenty of ifs, but that's still better than "Oh shit. Brian's still here". Then there'd be no ifs and no hope. At least we have that.

One spot behind Colorado.

Here is one thing I always bring up about how flawed this FPI system is. Even after LSU finished 15-0 that year with Burrow FPI had them as 3rd best team.

#18 overall and #5 in the B1G according to USA Today.

Georgia, Ohio State lead College Football's NCAA Re-Rank #1-#134 after Spring Practice

Paul Myerberg
USA TODAY

73788823007-rerank-0521.jpg

Illini at #82. That stadium is gonna be empty.

Maybe they’re all giddy due to Lester and QB’s but tell me how good the O line will be and then we can all get a better idea. I’m still unsure why O line will be more effective than they have been.

Illini at #82. That stadium is gonna be empty.
First off that stadium is a dump.

But I agree Bert inherited a talented D and rode them and chase brown to a 8-5 record in year 2. Even though they pissed away the West title with 3 straight late season losses. Looking at schedule next year things don’t look good for him in year 4. KU when schedule looked like an easy W now looks more like an L and face PSU, Michigan and Oregon in a 4 week stretch.

First off that stadium is a dump.

But I agree Bert inherited a talented D and rode them and chase brown to a 8-5 record in year 2. Even though they pissed away the West title with 3 straight late season losses. Looking at schedule next year things don’t look good for him in year 4. KU when schedule looked like an easy W now looks more like an L and face PSU, Michigan and Oregon in a 4 week stretch.
Probably on the hot seat.

Maybe they’re all giddy due to Lester and QB’s but tell me how good the O line will be and then we can all get a better idea. I’m still unsure why O line will be more effective than they have been.
Only thing I can point to is 2007 to 2008. I think the OL in 2007 set some sort of record for sacks allowed. Essentially the same line came back and helped pave the way for Greene to win the Doak and get to 9 wins with a huge win over PSU and a blowout of Spurrier in the bowl game. But it did take about half of 2008 for everything to come together. It helped to have a bellcow RB and a competent QB.

My hope for this year is that we see the same sort of jump. Plus, by not having such predictable playcalling (fingers crossed), that'll allow the QB to have just a little more time without allowing the DL/LBs to just tee off.

We'll see in less than 90 days.

Reactions: madmustang4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT