ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa adds another OL

maybe rusty (who once played for barnett apparently) can translate barnett teachings into understandable lessons for rest of the ol. i’m sick of seeing halff the line not knowing whom to block play after play.

• Haha
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
You make a very good point. But we had to hit rock bottom on the Offensive Line this year, didn't we?
Stephen Colbert Good Luck GIF

Given how important OL play is ... it's pretty shocking how few scholarship O-linemen the Iowa OL currently possesses.

Getting Feth is an important addition.

Given how important OL play is ... it's pretty shocking how few scholarship O-linemen the Iowa OL currently possesses.

Getting Feth is an important addition.
If you look at the names of the O-linemen listed ... both Britt and Davidkov are gone.

Feth started his last 22 games at center. Does this mean Jones is possibly being replaced for the next season?
If you look at our lack of depth on the OL and consider that both Stephens and Dunker are both guys poised to compete for starting spots ... while both being RS SOs ... it's nice to have a little more experience on the interior OL.

Given that Volk left .... and Britt and Davidkov are no longer listed on the roster ... the more depth we can get on the interior, the better. Also, Mylinski would be considered the primary guy to compete with Jones ... and he's a young guy too, who's been already battled a number of injuries through his young career.

I'm sure that the intention is to have competition at ALL spots ... and have the top 5 guys start. So yeah ... that certainly implies that Jones could LOSE the starting spot. However, that would also be up to Jones losing the spot and Feth winning the spot.

Also, by most accounts, Jones is talented ... albeit a little raw on the OL. Being thrust in the position of starting at C is a tough one to handle ... given that experience level. It could benefit Jones a little bit if he got to play some OG too ... so he can still focus on technique ... but doesn't have all the rest of that responsibility weighing on him (that the C has to contend with).

I’d like to hear Kirk’s response, and predictable snort, when asked about Colby’s regression. After all us fans don’t know s**t. Ask Banks, Stanzi and Beathard
That is why Colby was moved back to OG, after all.

And yeah ... would you blame an OL guru for being a little irked about clueless people complaining about something that is within their field of expertise?

Also, most don't know shit. Why can't they own that?

Same was said about our offense from 2021 to 2022...same Offensive staff, doing the same thing and expecting a different result..

Hope they do better, just pretty meh about it.
What makes you think that they're doing the "same thing?"

As an educator, as guys continue to improve ... you give them new challenges to help them continue to elevate. This can be realized by more work in how they break down the tape of their opposition.

Anyhow, given what we've seen over the past 2 years ... there are understandably plenty of reasons for skepticism due to the seemingly lack of improved play at key positions (on O). Consequently, I understand the tack of a fan who wants to see proof in the pudding before succumbing to homerish koolaid drinking.

Your attempt at drawing a parallel between insane behavior and that of the coaches is off-mark ... but I understand your frustration and skepticism.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Heading into '23, the OL experience is as follows:

Multi-year starters (w/ D1-level starts) - Richman, Colby, Feth

Some starts - Stephens, Jones, DeJong, and Parker

Isolated start(s) - Elsbury and Dunker

Hopefully the experience-level is finally reaching a point where we can start expecting to see some consistency from the OL room. At this point, I won't contend that anything is a given. I would have expected better play from the room in '22 ... but it never really appeared to materialize.

This sounds like great news. Now Brian will have a chance to be a top vote getter next year for offensive coord. of the B1G;)

What makes you think that they're doing the "same thing?"

As an educator, as guys continue to improve ... you give them new challenges to help them continue to elevate. This can be realized by more work in how they break down the tape of their opposition.

Anyhow, given what we've seen over the past 2 years ... there are understandably plenty of reasons for skepticism due to the seemingly lack of improved play at key positions (on O). Consequently, I understand the tack of a fan who wants to see proof in the pudding before succumbing to homerish koolaid drinking.

Your attempt at drawing a parallel between insane behavior and that of the coaches is off-mark ... but I understand your frustration and skepticism.
Oh i don't know, history of the staff for one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT