ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa attorney general calls on Congress to overturn California animal welfare law

I don't know what Iowa prices are (or what a good/normal price is for pork) but I see pork chops selling for $3.99/lb or $4.99/lb at grocery stores here in SoCal.

Again, I don't know if that's pricey or not.
A couple weeks ago, Fareway had five 5-oz chops for $5. Good to toss on the grill with potatoes, sweet corn, or other summer vegetables.

But CA isn't prohibiting the cross border distribution of IA pork, they just put regulations on the pork CA can sell. If an Iowa company produces pork that meets the regulations then CA will allow it to be sold in their state.
That was exactly the point the pig farmer from southern Iowa was making on TV a couple of months ago. And, like he said, it wasn’t like pork farmers didn’t know for years in advance, California was going to pass these laws on raising pork to sell in Cali.

Maybe Brenna can convince Kim to send some National Guard troops to Cali to guarantee Iowa pork rights there!
States don’t have a right to monitor their borders for incoming products? It may not be the smartest move California has ever made but it certainly is their decision to make! Methinks Brenna is giving the wrong state “the bird” this time.
Brenna, Brenna, Brenna...
No they don't have that right

Guess Brenna/Iowa Republicans couldn't wait to have the rest of the Red States join in this lawsuit because none of those Red States give a shit either.

Republicans =Trash

There isn't a single small producer left in the state of Iowa so I have no clue what you are talking about.
There are some. If you are looking for one I'd try a local processor and see if they can hook you up with one. We bought whole hogs for years that were processed at Bud's in Riverside.

I would actually think this benefits, the small farmers who can more easily increase their space. A lot of the giant hog lots are already maxed out on space and would have to drastically cut production.

two rather humorous notes on this letter...
1. Taking into account the house seats of the signators, they have 109 votes assuming they got all of them. I'd say they have some work to do.
2. While IA is of course far and away the most significant hog producing state, they only got 5 of the top 10, and none of 2, 3, or 4.

Also, yet one more reason that AG's shouldn't be elected.
Elected officials are fine, I would prefer a less partisan system and more independence. Strengthen the rules to protect non-partisan career employees as a first step. This isn't a case Iowa should be bringing. It's performance art. There are plenty of things that need to be addressed in Iowa by the AG's office.
Byrd's problem is she's continually fallen up in life. She's a dullard.

Elected officials are fine, I would prefer a less partisan system and more independence. Strengthen the rules to protect non-partisan career employees as a first step. This isn't a case Iowa should be bringing. It's performance art. There are plenty of things that need to be addressed in Iowa by the AG's office.
Byrd's problem is she's continually fallen up in life. She's a dullard.
Sure, but if there were ever a case for saying "stay in your lane bro", it would be an AG commenting on pork production policy. (To be clear, it's not a case, it's just plain old lobbying that, if anyone is doing, should be the governor. Not that she would make anyone happier.)

Reactions: cigaretteman
Yep, but very tough to do,.. Producers will give in just to have a place to sell their product and any added cost will be borne by consumers nationwide.

Too bad, so sad. I have to pay for crap I don't want all the time.

Boo ****ing Hoo

This type of thing directly relates to interstate commerce

The “Dormant” Commerce Clause ultimately means that because Congress has been given power over interstate commerce, states cannot discriminate against interstate commerce nor can they unduly burden interstate commerce, even in the absence of federal legislation regulating the activity.

Reactions: Aardvark86
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT