ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball back @ Snowbird Classic in Florida

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa will have four games in three days starting on Saturday.

Sat. vs Georgetown - Calvin Mathews
Sun vs St.Joseph's - Andrew Hedrick
Sun vs Georgetown - Tyler Peyton
Mon vs Otterbein - TBA

I say Sasha Kuebel, but I could be wrong.

I saw Kuebel pitch @ KSU and granted he threw 1 1/3 scoreless innings, but he was bailed out by a big double play. It seems he is struggling with his control at times.

Iowa defeats Georgetown 13-1 today in Florida. Iowa is now 10-4 on the season with two games on Sunday.

Calvin Mathews threw 8 innings allowing just 3 hits, 9 K's and no walks. Jared Mandel who hasn't pitched at all this season threw the last inning for Iowa and allowed two hits and one run.

On offense Iowa got it going again with 15 hits.

-Tyler Peyton was 3-3 including a double with 3 RBI's for Iowa, this kid has been huge since coming from Iowa Central.
-Taylor Zeutenhorst was 3-5 with 4 RBI's including a double and a homerun.
-Eric Toole was 2-5 with an RBI

Trevor Kenyon and Jake Mangler also each had one double.

Iowa faces St.Joseph's and Georgetown on Sunday, hopefully we can get at least one or both!

Iowa defeated St.Joseph's earlier this morning by a score of 9-7.

Tyler Peyton went 5 2/3 giving up 4 runs and got the W.

Iowa only had 8 hits, but it was enough.

Bryan Niedbalski had the only extra base hit which was a triple for Iowa.

Jake Mangler was 3-5 with 2 RBI's

Iowa loses to Georgetown 10-1 in a 5 inning game. There must have been some sort of time requirement due to Georgetown traveling I guess, since Iowa is still in Florida on Monday.

It's a shame they only played 5 innings, that is barely a game and we saw Iowa come back from a similar deficit earlier this year (not saying it'd happen today)

Iowa's pitching was woeful in this game though as they allowed 16 hits in 5 innings. Andrew Hedrick only went 1 1/3 innings and gave up 8 hits and 6 earned runs. He had a fairly good outing against Kansas State last week, so this is somewhat of a let down. Iowa needs to find a third starter or else we will be in trouble come conference season.

Offensively, not much to say....three hits and one run in the 5 innings.

Iowa is 11-5 on the season now and will face DII Otterbein on Monday.

Sasha Kuebel hasn't thrown this weekend yet, so I assume he will start on Monday.

Iowa defeats DII Otterbein by the score of 17-5.

Iowa had 17 hits on the day and only struggled in one inning pitching wise.

Sasha Kuebel went 7 innings and allowed 6 hits and 3 earned runs. He faced two batters in the 8th and they both reached base. Iowa was up 7-1 before Otterbein scored 4 runs in the 8th to bring it to 7-5. Iowa gave up WAY too many free bases in that 8th inning and had an error.

Jake Reinhardt saw his first action on the year pitching, and threw a scoreless 9th inning.

Iowa then scored 10 runs in the Bottom 8th to make it 17-5.

Offensively for Iowa, Taylor Zeutenhorst and Kris Goodman each had a homerun. Zeutenhorst had 4 RBI's and Goodman 3 RBI's. Dan Potempa and Jake Mangler also both had 2 RBI's.

Iowa is 12-5 and returns to Iowa City where they will face Mt.Mercy on Wednesday and then a three game series against Nebraska to open B1G play. These are all afternoon games, so get out there and support Iowa if you can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT