ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ Diamond 9 Sunshine Classic

Mar 14, 2003
Well its finally time for 2018 Iowa Baseball. Iowa heads to Kissimmee,Florida to open the year. Iowa will play three games against teams I don't really know a whole lot about. On paper you like Iowa's chances to get 2-3 wins, but baseball is a funny sports and nothing is guaranteed. The last two years a poor non-conference has been the biggest factor of Iowa not being in the discussion for an at-large. Especially in 2017. Granted we won the B1G tournament, but you don't want to have to do that every year.

How will Whelan being out impact Iowa offensively?
I assume we will see Justin Jenkins at CF, he will be fine defensively.
Pitching is uncertain. It looks like we will see Allgeyer, McDonald, and Schanuel/TBA in that order. How will Allgeyer bounce back from surgery?
Will we see 2017 McDonald or summer games McDonald?
Will the JuCo guys step up and be big? We've had a mixed bag in their first year at times. We've seen a guy like Jake Adams and what he can do. We've also seen Mason McCoy and Joel Booker really struggle their first year in D1 before really putting it together offensively in year two.

Friday - vs Toledo 5:30pm
Saturday - vs Oakland 2pm
Sunday - vs Old Dominion 10am

Go Hawks!

Is there a projected lineup? Some of it seems pretty straightforward but what will the right side of the infield look like?

Looks like Toledo has some offensive pop. Put up good numbers last year and they return a lot of guys this year.

Pitching they had a 6.20 ERA last year and gave up A LOT of free bases. A lot of new faces for them pitching wise as well. Looks like they are putting their closer in the Friday rotation spot. He had a 4.10 ERA last year and only pitched 26 innings.

They are definitely experienced in the field, but pitching appears to be a big question mark for them.

http://utrockets.com/news/2018/2/13/2018-toledo-baseball-season-outlook.aspx

Oakland is picked 5th in the Horizon League. Iowa will be their third game of the season as they play Friday afternoon and Saturday morning before Iowa. I really can't find much else on them.

BHGP has a good schedule preview for Hawk baseball. Essentially their nonconference is trash. Old Dominion, OK St, and Missouri St are the only teams worth a damn. Hopefully the Hawks can get ODU this weekend.

BHGP has a good schedule preview for Hawk baseball. Essentially their nonconference is trash. Old Dominion, OK St, and Missouri St are the only teams worth a damn. Hopefully the Hawks can get ODU this weekend.

There are always a few teams a lot better than expected, plus the RPI formula really favors true road games and Iowa has plenty of this with games @ UNLV and @ UAB.

I'd argue that UNLV is traditionally stronger than they were last year. There is PLENTY of opportunity with our schedule.

is there any TV / free streaming coverage of this weekend's games?
Not free. D9events.com is streaming the games for a fee of $12 per day or @25 dollar for the weekend. I was actually just coming here to ask if anyone had happened to stream the games last night? Thinking about doing it today, but don't want to spend the money if the stream sucks.

All three Toledo runs were unearned. Need to clean up the defense, I know Heller preaches good defense. Pleased with the offense for the most part.

Oakland today at 2pm.

Was the game yesterday - a great come from behind win. Pitching kept us in the game and got us out of a couple of jams. The starting pitcher for Toledo struck out the first 5 guys I think and had quite a few while he was in. He was lights out the first 4-5 innings. Defensively we weren't very good - Neustrom dropped an easy fly ball with 2 outs and 2 on that scored the first two runs. Their 3rd run was similar - no one on, 2 out and left fielder came in hard for a pop fly and tipped off his glove - over ran it a bit. Guy ended up on 2nd then a single scored him. Elion looked great at plate - 3-4 and all were good hard hits. Neustrom's HR was an absolute rope, as soon as it left everyone in park knew it was gone.

One little tidbit that may not have been caught - with nobody out and runners on 1st and 2nd, no one out, down by 1 in the ninth...Elion got hit and pinch runner got thrown out on a very close call at home plate. Heller argued it pretty hard, but obviously to no avail. Next batter got a hit to load the bases. Norman was down 0-2 when he go the game winner - a seeing eye single through right side. A great way to end the game!

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Iowa beats Oakland 8-6 to go to 2-0 on the season. Not exactly a sharp pitching performance from Cole McDonald today as he gave up 5 ER in three innings. Iowa settled down after that as Jack Dreyer, Nick Nelson, and Kyle Shimp threw 1 1/3, 2 2/3,and 2 innings each. Nelson gets the W and Shimp gets the save. Dreyer's run was unearned according to the scoring.

Tyler Cropley had a two run HR, Neustrom had 2 RBIs, Boe had 2 RBIs.

Hawks win 8-6 - good start to season. Wasn't at game today, but from looks of box score our pitching wasn't the best today. Don't know much about Oakland, caught a bit of their game yesterday against Pittsburgh, they got beat handily 9-2 or something like that. Hopefully we can finish strong tomorrow and start 3-0!

Hawks win 8-6 - good start to season. Wasn't at game today, but from looks of box score our pitching wasn't the best today. Don't know much about Oakland, caught a bit of their game yesterday against Pittsburgh, they got beat handily 9-2 or something like that. Hopefully we can finish strong tomorrow and start 3-0!

I am willing to give McDonald a few more weekend starts, but he has got to get things figured out or else maybe it's best to find another role for him either midweek starts or relief. He really struggles and has struggled to get out of the early innings without damage. I was hoping a game against Oakland would be the trick for that, but not so much.

Any chance you can work your magic for a free audio stream?
i have a free video stream but it requires the VLC media player

also, there is just one camera angle and its behind the plate; that's it; no replays either; if this is what people are paying for, they are getting ripped off

Trenton Wallace and Cam Baumann seeing their first pitching action of the season this game.

Also Iowa is 3-12 with RISP, better than I thought.
ODU is 0-15 with RISP.

Iowa beats Old Dominion 4-1 to go 3-0 on the weekend. That is all you can ask for. Offensively today, didn't take advantage of some opportunities, but ODU had a lot of missed chances too.

Brady Schanuel pitched 3 2/3 innings, 2 H, 2 BB, 4 K's, gets the W.
Trenton Wallace pitched 1 2/3 innings, 1 H, 1 ER, 3 BB, 2 K's
Grant Leonard pitched 1 1/3 innings, 1 H, 1 K
Cam Baumann pitched 1/3 inning, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K
Zach Daniels pitched 2 innings, 1 K gets the save.

Elion and Crowl both 2-5 today, Hoeg 2-3. Iowa needs the big hit with bases juiced and no outs.

Obviously I will take 3-0 every weekend out, but each game showed a few things that need work. Friday night was errors and unearned runs. Saturday was starting pitching. Today was offense and bringing runs home. Iowa did have two errors today too.

Iowa goes to New Orleans next weekend, faces Virginia Tech at 12:30 on Friday. VT is really throwing themselves to the wolves this opening weekend, so don't be let their record fool you. This be a TOUGH matchup against An ACC school.

ODU only had 6 hits but 15 LOB? Errors and walks seemed to be the biggest issues this weekend.

One thing I've learned from listening to Coach Heller is he hates free bases. Bad defense and walks will kill you. I believe they will get it cleaned up.

First 3-0 start for Iowa under Heller too.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT