ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ Snowbird Classic

Mar 14, 2003
This weekend in Port Charlotte, FL. Iowa will face Mississippi Valley State on Friday @ 1:30pm CST, St. Bonaventure and Ball State on Saturday @ 1:30pm and 4:30pm CST, and Nebraska-Omaha on Sunday @ 8am CST. If those Saturday games run late for Iowa it will be a quick turn around for Sunday.

Mississippi Valley State is 0-4 on the season getting swept by Dallas Baptist and losing a midweek game to Morehead State. Their pitching staff has a 15.38 ERA on the season so far.

St.Bonaventure has not played a game this year and Iowa will actually by their first game of the season.

Ball State is 3-1 on the season with wins over South Carolina-Upstate, Morehead State, and Wofford. Their lone loss is to Dayton. Ball State went 31-24 last season and wont be easy considering it will be game two of a DH.

Nebraska-Omaha has not played a game yet this season. Their first games will be this weekend too. They went 27-22 last season.

Originally posted by 2bagger22:

Originally posted by funnyfletcher:
How long is Martsching out?
The season. He caught the Tommy John bug.
Ouch that's not a good thing. Is Kaufman going to pitch this year? He did DH I believe in one of our opening weekend games, but he did not pitch at all. I know back in fall they said he was one of the ones nursing an injury too.

It was nice to see Andrew Hedrick throw 5 solid innings last weekend after Dahm barely used him last year.

heller has had some bad luck with pitchers and arm injuries. i have to wonder if there is something more to it.

I've thought this for yrs. seems like every season he loses a guy for the season or has pitchers out for extended time.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:

Originally posted by 2bagger22:

How long is Martsching out?
The season. He caught the Tommy John bug.
Ouch that's not a good thing. Is Kaufman going to pitch this year? He did DH I believe in one of our opening weekend games, but he did not pitch at all. I know back in fall they said he was one of the ones nursing an injury too.

It was nice to see Andrew Hedrick throw 5 solid innings last weekend after Dahm barely used him last year.
Kauffman was shut down in the fall but according to Coach Heller a few weeks ago he should be good to go. Hedrick was banged up last year and that's why he didn't throw like I hoped he would. I wouldn't be surprised to see him thrown in the fourth game based on his 5 innings last weekend.

Originally posted by WM50247:
heller has had some bad luck with pitchers and arm injuries. i have to wonder if there is something more to it.

I've thought this for yrs. seems like every season he loses a guy for the season or has pitchers out for extended time.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com

He inherited Martsching, Mathews, and Kaufman and all three came into the fall with overused arms. Heller had nothing to do with any of these arm problems. I don't think I'm coming off too strong when I say Martsching and Mathews were severely overused in high school.

I thought Tyler Radtke had a very poor outing this past weekend and I think he is better than that. He was decent for Villanova in 2012 in 9 appearances which included 4 starts, a total of 28 innings pitched with a 2.89 ERA. Right now he only has been credited with throwing 1/3 of an inning and has an 81 ERA. He didn't even give up a hit!

Looks like it will be....

Friday - Mathews vs Miss.Valley State
Saturday - Hedrick vs St.Bonaventure, Kuebel vs Ball State
Sunday - Peyton vs UNO

St.Bonaventure is picked last in their conference, but the pitcher Iowa is facing is picked 2nd team pre-season for the conference. UNO will throw a Tyler Hamer who is a DMACC transfer and went 7-0 with a 2.54 ERA last year.

LINK

It'll be interesting to see what Hickman's velocity is in a warmer climate. At the same time, it might be asking too much to expect low-mid 90s when he catches two games a weekend. That's a lot of throws.

Iowa defeats Mississippi Valley State 9-4, but it was a lackluster offensive effort for Iowa most of the game. Iowa only had two hit and one unearned run through the first six innings and trailed 3-1. Iowa got one run in the 7th and then exploded for a combined seven runs in the 8th/9th.

Iowa got a 3-run HR from Kris Goodman in the 8th to take a 5-3 lead. Then in the 9th Iowa got a 2-run HR from Blake Hickman who now has three homeruns on the year.

Calvin Mathews pitched pretty flawless through five innings, but struggled in the sixth inning giving up four hits and three runs (1 unearned) before being pulled.

Matt Allen tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings for Iowa only giving up one walk and Ryan Rumpf threw the last two innings giving up one earned run and one hit.

Offensively for Iowa
-Kris Goodman 2-4, 1 HR, 3 RBI
-Jake Yacinich 2-4, 1 Double, 2 RBI
-Blake Hickman 2-5, 1 HR, 2 RBI

Eric Toole was also 2-3 in the game with a double and a run scored. Taylor Zeutenhorst was 1-4, but his one hit was a triple.

Some guys for Iowa continue to struggle on the offensive end like Nick Day and Trevor Kenyon. If those two could get going, we could have something offensively.

Iowa faces St. Bonaventure and Ball State on Saturday. Iowa will face a pretty solid pitcher from St. Bonaventure who is pre-season 2nd team in their conference.

Hickman and Goodman both go yard as Iowa wins 9-4! Hickman with 3 homers this year already.
It's nice to see Hickman hit how I think a lot of people thought he could coming out of high school. It was known he had some power, but he just really struggled last year.

I was somewhat let down on Iowa's lack of offense in the first six innings. They had the bases loaded with one out in the 1st and could do nothing with it, then just really struggled.

Also, I realize Hedrick isn't available due to starting this week. We really need Kaufman available if he can go, our bullpen concerns me.

Hickman and Goodman both go yard as Iowa wins 9-4! Hickman with 3 homers this year already.
It's nice to see Hickman hit how I think a lot of people thought he could coming out of high school. It was known he had some power, but he just really struggled last year.

I was somewhat let down on Iowa's lack of offense in the first six innings. They had the bases loaded with one out in the 1st and could do nothing with it, then just really struggled.

Also, I realize Hedrick isn't available due to starting this week. We really need Kaufman available if he can go, our bullpen concerns me.
Agreed. When healthy, Kaufman is a great left handed stopper out of the bullpen.

According to the Iowa Baseball twitter page, the Hickman homerun was a bomb. I wish we had highlights so we could judge for ourselves.

It appears Iowa had travel nightmare to Florida. I am not sure of the details but it was in the hawkeye sports article. They didn't get to bed til 6am. So I feel a lot better about the sluggish start.

It appears Iowa had travel nightmare to Florida. I am not sure of the details but it was in the hawkeye sports article. They didn't get to bed til 6am. So I feel a lot better about the sluggish start.
They bussed to O'Hare where their flight was cancelled. They were forced to take the red eye and landed damn near this morning. Pretty impressive turn around.

Iowa baseball defeated St. Bonaventure 2-0 in their first game today.

Jake Riffice was 1-3 with an RBI and a double for Iowa. There really wasn't much else offensive as Iowa mainly scattered hits.

Iowa did have the bases loaded with 1 out in the 8th and couldn't do anything with it.

Andrew Hedrick pitched out of his mind it seemed. This is a good as I recall him being. Hedrick tossed 6 2/3 innings allowing 4 hits and having 7 K's. He got the W too. By far Iowa's best outing this year from a starter.

Blake Hickman threw 2/3 of an inning but got in a bit of trouble when he had a guy on 2nd and 3rd with 1 out. He was pulled for Nick Hibbing who came in and closed the door throwing 1 2/3 allowing no hits and getting 3 K's.

Iowa is 4-1 now and plays a fairly solid MAC team in Ball State later today.

Iowa beat Ball State 16-6 to improve to 5-1 on the year. Taylor Zeutenhorst had a big game going 4-6 with a homerun and 2 RBI's. A lot of guys contributed on offense this game as Iowa had 17 hits.

Sasha Kuebel threw six innings and allowed six runs, still has some of the same struggles so far it seems.

Iowa has a QUICK turnaround as they face Nebraska-Omaha at 8am CST on Sunday. UNO is predicted to win the Summit League and Iowa faces a guy who had pretty salty stats at DMACC.

Iowa beats Nebraska-Omaha 7-1 to get a four game sweep this weekend and go 6-1 on the season. Kris Goodman and Taylor Zeutenhorst were both 2-4 in the game with a double each. Goodman had 3 RBI's and Zeutenhorst had 2 RBI's

Tyler Peyton pitched great for Iowa, going 8 innings and allowing 3 hit, 1 run, and getting 6 K's.

Iowa is back in Florida next weekend where they step things up a bit playing some southern schools. Iowa faces Stetson, Maine, and Furman next weekend in the Stetson Tournament.

Not sure how long this will last, but Iowa is all alone in 1st place in the conference at 6-1. As I said things get a lot tougher next weekend having to face two southern schools in Stetson and Furman. Maine also wont be easy as they have played six games this year all against Clemson and Miami-FL and sit at 1-5.

Also, if Iowa can't get some sort of honors in conference for this past weekend then I am not sure what else they need to do in a weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT