ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ Stetson Invitational

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa goes to Deland,FL to play in the Stetson invitational.

Friday - vs Stetson 6pm
Saturday - vs Maine 12pm
Sunday - vs Furman 9am

I don't think this will be an easy tournament as these three teams seem alright. Maine is 1-5 but their six games are against Miami-FL and Clemson. Furman and Stetson are both southern schools and as far as I am concerned, any time Iowa plays a southern school it's a challenge and winning would be a good thing for the program.

I'd be very impressed if they won all three. So far, none of those teams have produced the sort of runs the Hawks have put up. If we can continue hitting well I think two wins is firmly within reach.

Great way to start the weekend by beating Stetson at their place. Now lets go out there and get another today and go from there.

I am hoping that Sasha Kuebel can bounce back with a quality start today. He has struggled a little bit this year, so if he can get going we could really have something here with a weekend rotation.

kuebal got knocked out early only lasting 1.1 innings and giving up 5 runs on 7 hits

Iowa baseball beats Maine in an ugly game 13-12

Iowa gave up 7 runs in the first two innings to trail 7-0. Iowa then outscores Maine 11-1 in the 3rd through 8th innings to go up 11-8 heading to the 9th. Iowa gives up 4 runs in the Top 9th to trail 12-11. Iowa then hits five singles in a row which scores two runs to win 13-12.

Iowa's pitching was NOT good in this game. Sasha Kuebel was ran after 1 1/3 as he gave up 7 hits and 5 earned runs. Andrew Hedrick pitched OK as he went 4 innings and allowed 8 hits and 3 runs. Tyler Radtke pitched a pretty solid 2 2/3 innings but then was ran in the 9th giving up 2 hits and 2 runs. Nick Hibbing was brought in and for the first time couldn't close the door was he did get an out but gave up a walk and and an additional run which was helped by an Iowa error. Blake Hickman then came in and did get the last two outs but not before he gave up 2 hits which gave Maine the lead.

Iowa has to do something about Saturday, we can't keep having outings like this from our pitching staff. Do we start Hedrick over Kuebel? Sasha struggled last year and it has carried over into this season.

Either way, Iowa found a way to win with the bats and they are now 8-1. They go for a weekend sweep on Sunday at 9am against Furman which will not be easy at all.

Iowa at 8-1 is their best start since 1968.

I should mention the offense for Iowa in the Maine game....

Eric Toole was 3-5 with 3 RBI
Trevor Kenyon was 2-4 with 2 RBI
Nick Day was 3-5 with 1 RBI

Jake Mangler was 1-5 with 2 RBI, he had the game winning RBI single

Hawks finish the weekend sweep with a win over Furman 8-2 to run their record to 9-1.

Tyler Peyton with another good start going seven innings allowing seven hits and two runs. Brandon Shulista threw two scoreless innings allowing two hits.

Just an impressive start for Iowa, I figured at best we would go 2-1 this weekend. Iowa has a three game series against Kansas State next weekend (weather permitting) in Manhattan. That will be tough, KSU has struggled this year but returns A LOT of talent from last years team.

Granted it's VERY early in the year and B1G play is so so important. However, you HAVE to win the non-conference to set yourself up for a run. Iowa's RPI has went from like 250 in the opening weekend to 94 currently.

Next weekend is huge, Kansas State is going to be a solid team and if Iowa can win that series it will benefit them all year.

Originally posted by Alum-Ni:
Iowa is certainly off to a hot start. Good to see.
What's the word on Ryan Boldt? I see his stats aren't off the charts but he's probably the most talented freshman the Big Ten has seen in a long time.

Originally posted by 2bagger22:

What's the word on Ryan Boldt? I see his stats aren't off the charts but he's probably the most talented freshman the Big Ten has seen in a long time.
Boldt has shown some serious promise. He's got a small injury issue at the moment, and I think he's still adjusting a bit to the college game, but I think he's gonna be (at least I hope) a special player at Nebraska. Right now the Huskers need to figure out how to generate some more offense consistently.

Boldt has shown some serious promise. He's got a small injury issue at the moment, and I think he's still adjusting a bit to the college game, but I think he's gonna be (at least I hope) a special player at Nebraska. Right now the Huskers need to figure out how to generate some more offense consistently.
Does that have any relation to the injury he had last spring?

Does that have any relation to the injury he had last spring?
No. Knee injury last spring. He is having issue with a foot right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT