ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball vs Missouri State @ Kansas City

Mar 14, 2003
Normally I'd wait to start this post until after the weekend series, but I saw this twitter post. So I figured I'd get it out there for anybody who may be interested.

Iowa faces Missouri State in KC at 4pm on Wednesday the 14th.

It is free admission for the game.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Iowa falls to Missouri State 8-3. Missouri State continues their dominance over Iowa. They've won like 6 of the last 7. Iowa just wasn't good enough to day and that is that.

This team is strongly reminding me of the 2016 team so far. Kind of had higher expectations due to the prior year, but had to deal with key position losses. Kind of struggled to find their way all year until the very end.

Iowa hosts Evansville in Iowa City this weekend.

Iowa falls to Missouri State 8-3. Missouri State continues their dominance over Iowa. They've won like 6 of the last 7. Iowa just wasn't good enough to day and that is that.

This team is strongly reminding me of the 2016 team so far. Kind of had higher expectations due to the prior year, but had to deal with key position losses. Kind of struggled to find their way all year until the very end.

Iowa hosts Evansville in Iowa City this weekend.

Good comparison. I couldn’t remember the last time Iowa was swept until looking through the 2016 schedule — weekend sweeps courtesy of Dallas Baptist, Illinois, and Indiana. This year’s squad is very, very young due to the draft. Plenty of talent and time to figure it all out. Oh, and Rick Heller is the coach so they’re sure not out of it.

Good comparison. I couldn’t remember the last time Iowa was swept until looking through the 2016 schedule — weekend sweeps courtesy of Dallas Baptist, Illinois, and Indiana. This year’s squad is very, very young due to the draft. Plenty of talent and time to figure it all out. Oh, and Rick Heller is the coach so they’re sure not out of it.

Missouri State also swept them that year.

Reactions: 2bagger22

Went to the game. It's an interesting Iowa team. They are definitely scuffling right now. Missouri State was better, but Iowa is making so many mistakes right now on the mound, field and at the plate that it's easy to see why they have lost 4 in a row to good teams. Dreyer has big-time ability. When he gets better command he will be really good. Hawk pitchers walked 5, hit 3 guys and Iowa had 3 wild pitches. Lots of free bases and several runs scored for Missouri State without them having to do much at all.

The Iowa at-bats in the middle of the game were as poor as I can remember during the Heller era. Just a lot of non-competitive at-bats from even the experienced players on the roster. It was very odd experience watching them, as they played less like a Heller team than any other I can remember in his time at Iowa.

They are in a rough patch now, which happens in baseball. It will be interesting to see how the team progresses. They need to be a lot better to be any sort of factor in the Big Ten race.

Unfortunately, Iowa will struggle to finish in the top half of the conference. No NCAA tournament this year. We are soft hitting for average and power, our defense is not real good and our pitching is just average. I hate to see us struggle with Neustrom and Cropley not likely back next year. Cropley for sure.
We just haven't had anyone step up and be clutch. I just hope we get back to trending upward next season.

Unfortunately, Iowa will struggle to finish in the top half of the conference. No NCAA tournament this year. We are soft hitting for average and power, our defense is not real good and our pitching is just average. I hate to see us struggle with Neustrom and Cropley not likely back next year. Cropley for sure.
We just haven't had anyone step up and be clutch. I just hope we get back to trending upward next season.

Cropley is a senior, he ain’t coming back next year. Iowa has been without Whelan until the past three games and he’s already provided a spark. I’m not ready to crown them a tournament team but it’s unwise to count a Heller coached team out.

Cropley is a senior, he ain’t coming back next year. Iowa has been without Whelan until the past three games and he’s already provided a spark. I’m not ready to crown them a tournament team but it’s unwise to count a Heller coached team out.

I agree 100% and Iowa has plenty chances to boost our RPI with Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio State. Chances that didn't look like they would have earlier in the year. Of course, plenty of chances to kill our RPI too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT