ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa bill aimed at 'obscenity' & kids spurs concerns of chilling drag shows, pride parades

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
A bill in the Iowa Legislature aims to make exposing minors to an "obscene performance" a crime, with some warning that as written it could result in wide-ranging lawsuits and discourage LGBTQ+ pride parades and drag shows.

The legislation, Senate File 2176, would make knowingly exposing anyone under 18 to such a performance a serious misdemeanor, as well as knowingly selling a ticket or admitting a minor to a venue where such a performance is held. The bill defines "obscene performance" as invoking sexual acts or "appeals to the prurient interest and is patently offensive."

Sen. Sandy Salmon, R-Janesville, who is sponsoring the bill, said "obscene performance exposure is exactly what is done to groom children for sexual abuse and exploitation."

"It breaks down children's God-given modesty," said Salmon, who last year introduced a bill banning children from attending drag shows.

Salmon's new bill, which a subcommittee advanced Wednesday, does not explicitly name drag shows as obscene performances. But Keenan Crow, of One Iowa, said they believed that was the "genesis" of the legislation.

Crow aired concerns Wednesday about language in the bill that allows for a parent or guardian to bring a lawsuit against "any person that has knowingly disseminated or exhibited obscene material" to the minor, and to seek damages or other relief.

"What I'm worried about is that there will be some extremely litigious activists on this, that will bring suit after suit after suit," Crow said.

Concerns about the private cause of action language were echoed by two other senators, one of whom honed in on other language banning "obscene performances" in any public institution or facility.

Sen. Mike Klimesh, R-Spillville, said as written, he was worried that it could lead to "shotgun lawsuits" against a variety of local officials stemming from a public event like a pride parade.

"Where does the liability train stop?" Klimesh said. "Does it stop with city government, does it stop with the mayor?"

Klimesh voted to advance the legislation but said he wanted to see the bill changed in committee.

Small government.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Too long, didn’t read. Long story short keep your kids away from libs as much as possible and never leave your children unattended with a lib for sure.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Too long, didn’t read. Long story short keep your kids away from libs as much as possible and never leave your children unattended with a lib for sure.

Welcome new friend!!!! I look forward to your riveting contributions to HORT! Maybe stolen_vaolor_4_A_Day can give you some pointers. You seem to be on the same wavelength.

Welcome new friend!!!! I look forward to your riveting contributions to HORT! Maybe stolen_vaolor_4_A_Day can give you some pointers. You seem to be on the same wavelength.
Why are tranny daddy's so obsessed with real men?

I refuse to believe we have a Senator named Sandy Salmon. I think that was an occasional guest on a puppet show I used to watch on black and white TV as a youngster.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT