ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa bill would ban citizen police review boards

Not necessary as they seldom if ever interact with the general public unlike police forces which do so as a regular part of their responsibilities

Yeah, because afterall our military has never been an occupying force policing civilian populations.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Localities know best how to govern themselves….until they do it in a way you disagree with, apparently.

Reactions: torbee
Civilian review boards for journalists, or say lawyers, who engage in misconduct that wreaks havoc on the public?

Depends on how a city would set them up.

Regardless, can you imagine 80-90% of HROTers serving on a citizen review board? Emotions and bias abound.
There are zero reasons for people that have no experience in a given profession to review the work of that profession.
This is an awful take. The objective of citizen review boards in policing is to bring people together, who are often divided in opinion, to freely discuss sensitive matters. Specifically and in a broad sense. Of course there are reasons for this to happen! Both sides are able to air out their concerns and goals and offer potential solutions. It’s about transparency and developing working relationships, which is the core of community oriented policing. I don’t see anything positive coming from eliminating these boards.

Apples and orangutans.

School board elections are overwhelmingly influenced by/outcomes affected by teacher unions, teachers, their families and friends. Often held in off years with minimal participation. Thus they are typically teacher friendly.

And police decisions aren't effected by police unions, officers, and their family and friends? Give me a break.

There is one, it's the oversight committees in congress.

And cops have many entities that engage in oversight/accountability. A certification agency, state ombudperson, city councils/board of supervisors, agency internal affairs and county attorneys.

And cops have many entities that engage in oversight/accountability. A certification agency, state ombudperson, city councils/board of supervisors, agency internal affairs and county attorneys.

Per UIC who study this, there are over 600 people killed by police each year in the US and another 250,000 who are injured by police, 85,000 of which require hospitalization.

There should be a very high level of scrutiny here and higher expectations for our officers than this.

Trust in police is completely broken in many communities. I believe drastic measures need to be taken to try to rebuild it. I could be wrong.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Per UIC who study this, there are over 600 people killed by police each year in the US and another 250,000 who are injured by police, 85,000 of which require hospitalization.

There should be a very high level of scrutiny here and higher expectations for our officers than this.

Trust in police is completely broken in many communities. I believe drastic measures need to be taken to try to rebuild it. I could be wrong.
At the very least - it always seems like there’s a lot of frustration in the process. Improving transparency would help a lot.

At the very least - it always seems like there’s a lot of frustration in the process. Improving transparency would help a lot.

Several layers of existing accountability already exist. Citizen review boards are agenda driven by people with an axe to grind.

Several layers of existing accountability already exist. Citizen review boards are agenda driven by people with an axe to grind.
But those are often completed behind closed doors and only the conclusion is presented to the public. This can create the perception at the very least of cops closing ranks to protect their own.

I think it’s not accurate to say that all review boards are run by people with agendas.

This isn't accurate on any level. Most well operating LE agencies welcome the opportunity to expand transparency and open communications with the communities they serve in an effort to strengthen cooperation between their staff and the citizenry.

The LE agencies who push back on these types of efforts should be immediately suspect and are likely not operating on the proper level of trust and accountability that we should demand from them.

From the outside, it looks like there is almost zero accountability to bad police behavior now.

What are these several layers of accountability now?

Without more transparency or more consequences I can’t help but support an aggressive litigious stance against police departments.

Reactions: sober_teacher
From the outside, it looks like there is almost zero accountability to bad police behavior now.

What are these several layers of accountability now?

Without more transparency or more consequences I can’t help but support an aggressive litigious stance against police departments.

Swarm already named the layers.

Apples and orangutans.

School board elections are overwhelmingly influenced by/outcomes affected by teacher unions, teachers, their families and friends. Often held in off years with minimal participation. Thus they are typically teacher friendly.
Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT