ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City NIL Club

I was onboard until i got spammed to hell the past 24 hours by them. 3 texts and 7 or 8 emails. Whoever is running it needs to understand annoying your base isn't how you get their $
Well if you're the base and that easily annoyed that you're going to take your $200 and go home, good for you! Not sure anyone wants you anyway man...

Reactions: Yetty
In my mind it's not a sustainable practice..people won't continue to pay $200 for a meet and greet and some shitty message service.

Also, why the hell would I spend $2,000 to have a steak dinner with college kids ? So creepy

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BXY
In my mind it's not a sustainable practice..people won't continue to pay $200 for a meet and greet and some shitty message service.

Also, why the hell would I spend $2,000 to have a steak dinner with college kids ? So creepy

Yeah, but I hope its not creepy to pay $100 per year to watch high school kids and hope they choose the school you like.

I just paid that much to have a socially distanced picture taken with a one armed man and some of his buddies.

We all have different types of creepy things we do.

Because some of those fanatics can get their picture taken with some of the players, get their autograph, and tell their friends they "know" these guys. :)

Definitely not my thing either but for many here it's their fantasy. I guess if a fan is contributing money to an NIL, which is good, I guess being entitled to "rubbing shoulders" with athletes and coaches is the trade they seek.

Last edited:

I’m all about the kids getting paid, but yes, this is completely unsustainable.

This seems like it’ll be a one time cash grab for the players. Maybe 2k each best case.

I don’t think the demand will be there for fans dropping $200 several times a year.

This seems like it’ll be a one time cash grab for the players. Maybe 2k each best case.

I don’t think the demand will be there for fans dropping $200 several times a year.
Yeah, this looks a lot different than the lead-up for it. I was willing to drop them a couple hundred bucks just for the sake of it, but I think the money is better spent on the Swarm Collective.

Unsustainable? Maybe I'm not understanding how this membership works-- which I admit, I haven't really looked real close at the member details.

Reactions: EasyHawk

It is an annual membership. If you buy an access pass this year, you have early access to renew if you want before it opens to be members. If it sells out I believe those players involved can get around $4,000. There aren’t demands to spend $200 several times per year.

Reactions: UWMilwaukhawk
Because some of those fanatics can get their picture taken with some of the players, get their autograph, and tell their friends they "know" these guys. :)

Definitely not my thing either but for many here it's their fantasy. I guess if a fan is contributing money to an NIL, which is good, I guess being entitled to "rubbing shoulders" with athletes and coaches is the trade they seek.
It isn't my thing, but when my boys were young I might have been interested in it for them. They would have been thrilled with the interaction.

Reactions: frydaze
It is an annual membership. If you buy an access pass this year, you have early access to renew if you want before it opens to be members. If it sells out I believe those players involved can get around $4,000. There aren’t demands to spend $200 several times per year.
Got it. Still a little skeptical this is going to be something that works long term.

Like I said, I’m all for the guys getting paid, just not sure this way will work for more than a couple pay days.

Who knows

Reactions: EasyHawk
Oh my, it will not hurt most of us to give a little to this. I plan on contributing to both. I think we have tremendous fans and I think you will see more than a few thousand dollars going to the players through this. We all spend a lot of money on really dump *****. Why not give a little to these young men who give it all for us on Saturdays. Some of these kids could end up with significant injuries or health issues, do to this sport, and I for one think it should go to the players rather than the universities. When you have an endowment fund with bilions of dollars and this is rarely pushed down to the student... there is a problem. Too much money to the institution and not enough to the athlete. I hate the way college football is going, but we are not going to stop it. I see a system in the future that is like a semi-pro league that competes with the NFL for talent. Where fans pay a Brad Banks, Espenensa, Jewel, Sanders, King... to stick around for 6-8 years.

• Haha
We all spend a lot of money on really dumb *****.

...and one day I am actually going figure out what to do with 50 or so autographed jerseys....other than them sitting in a box in the closet.

And can some one explain to me why I have 5 Andre Dawson signed balls?

Last edited:
I'm all for the guys on the team making money. Fully support it and have semi promoted some of the things, like gear that guys were selling last year. It's great.

But, I have heard that the Yoke folks who run this are taking 25% off the top. I get that there's a cost to set all this up and run it, but that number just seemed a bit high to me.

I'm all for the guys on the team making money. Fully support it and have semi promoted some of the things, like gear that guys were selling last year. It's great.

But, I have heard that the Yoke folks who run this are taking 25% off the top. I get that there's a cost to set all this up and run it, but that number just seemed a bit high to me.
25% ? Holy hell. Even Steve Boros only takes 10% 😂

I'm all for the players making some cash but I have no desire to be a jock sniffer.

25% seems a bit high. No idea what the software costs...but even high end forum software is only in the hundreds a year on a lease. Server costs are tiny these days.

If they are organizing any meet and greets, paying for merchandise and steaks...might start getting somewhat better.

Not saying these guys aren’t slime balls (I have no idea) but 25% doesn’t feel like a reason why they might be. In addition to the you mention, they also have to turn a profit. They’re not doing this out of the goodness of their heart. They are operating a for-profit business and need to make money or it isn’t worth their time. By the time they pay themselves, employees, expenses, taxes, insurance, etc. 25% in no way seems out of line to me. And from what you’re saying, they are up front about it.

One issue might be that they don’t have much for competition. Anyone else is welcome to take on this risk and run their own competitive business.

25% ? Holy hell. Even Steve Boros only takes 10% 😂

Which one? The ex-Iowa baseball player from Charles City, or his dad the long time MLB coach and manager? (Edit: I believe the dad is dead. So you likely don’t mean him.)

Reactions: BXY
I have no vested interest in this, just curious how it all turns out.

This. Now the stuff here at Iowa may turn out ok, but I got to believe somewhere in this country there are going to be NIL funds created that are going to be rife with fraud and corruption. I personally think I will sit on the sidelines for the first year or so before this stuff settles itself out.

Which one? The ex-Iowa baseball player from Charles City, or his dad the long time MLB coach and manager? (Edit: I believe the dad is dead. So you likely don’t mean him.)

Oops, Scott Boris I mean- sports agent.

Reactions: SPOONER
Not saying these guys aren’t slime balls (I have no idea) but 25% doesn’t feel like a reason why they might be. In addition to the you mention, they also have to turn a profit. They’re not doing this out of the goodness of their heart. They are operating a for-profit business and need to make money or it isn’t worth their time. By the time they pay themselves, employees, expenses, taxes, insurance, etc. 25% in no way seems out of line to me. And from what you’re saying, they are up front about it.

One issue might be that they don’t have much for competition. Anyone else is welcome to take on this risk and run their own competitive business.

One other thing to throw in is COVID rapid tests....that will take 5% off the top for anyone doing a meet and greet.

Again, not saying it was unreasonable, just seemed a bit high to me. I was kind of expecting to hear maybe 15-20%. But, I am not sure how hands on their are in term of coordinating activities and such. Asked some of the players the other day and it felt like the Yoke folks set it up and guide the setup, but after that the players run it on their own. Perhaps that's why it felt high to me since it feels like it's more hands off based on what a couple of guys said. I'm sure the players know going in what the cost was going to be coming off the top and they are good with it, then great. Hope that they pull in a good amount of money.

I am not trying to nor will earn a profit, am not taking a salary, and AM doing this out of my love for the Hawks….

I won’t bash what others may or may not do, but you should know that Swarm is run by a Hawk….for Hawks and Iowa charities.

I am not trying to nor will earn a profit, am not taking a salary, and AM doing this out of my love for the Hawks….

I won’t bash what others may or may not do, but you should know that Swarm is run by a Hawk….for Hawks and Iowa charities.
God bless you brother. I won't name them, but some CEOs of big charities get filthy rich instead of taking a modest salary, and having the money go to the people that need it.

Oh my, it will not hurt most of us to give a little to this. I plan on contributing to both. I think we have tremendous fans and I think you will see more than a few thousand dollars going to the players through this. We all spend a lot of money on really dump *****. Why not give a little to these young men who give it all for us on Saturdays. Some of these kids could end up with significant injuries or health issues, do to this sport, and I for one think it should go to the players rather than the universities. When you have an endowment fund with bilions of dollars and this is rarely pushed down to the student... there is a problem. Too much money to the institution and not enough to the athlete. I hate the way college football is going, but we are not going to stop it. I see a system in the future that is like a semi-pro league that competes with the NFL for talent. Where fans pay a Brad Banks, Espenensa, Jewel, Sanders, King... to stick around for 6-8 years.
Not disagreeing with you, but this money only goes to the select players that opt into it. The Swarm Collective is directed at a much bigger population of the athletes, and if there's enough donor interest, all of them. And no one is making money off the top.

Reactions: Tx_Hawk
Not disagreeing with you, but this money only goes to the select players that opt into it. The Swarm Collective is directed at a much bigger population of the athletes, and if there's enough donor interest, all of them. And no one is making money off the top.
They have to opt in for the Swarm Collective as well as I understand it. At least for the 501c3 portion.

Reactions: EasyHawk and Hawked
I'm a little disappointed that the Spencer haters haven't mentioned that they would pay money to have Spencer sit with them during a game.
giphy.gif

Reactions: J_Heater
I’m interested in how this steak dinner is going to work? I wonder how many will actually qualify for it.

Anyone else concerned that this might decrease the donations to the I-Club or to the athletic department in general?
First, the seat licenses in order to purchase season tickets isn't going away/being reduced so people don't have a chance to reduce that unless they are giving an excess amount. Most people I know pretty much give what their seat license requires them to pay for tickets.

However, with today's economy trends, yes, I'd almost expect there to be some slippage of I-Club donations with the advent of the new NIL and the giving many will do to that.

Reactions: UWMilwaukhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT