ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa City prostitution sting catches 12

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
A prostitution sting netted a dozen arrests in Iowa City on Tuesday.

According to Iowa City police criminal complaints, throughout the day on Tuesday, area law enforcement agencies conducted a prostitution and human trafficking sting at an undisclosed location in Iowa City. Police said the men and women arrested in the operation responded to an online ad posted by investigators, “electronically contacted” an undercover officer and traveled to the location where the sting was taking place.

Sgt. Scott Gaarde said some of the subjects offered to pay for a sex act, while others tried to offer a sex act in exchange for payment.

The goal of the operation was to stop the spread of human trafficking, Gaarde said.

“The reality of it is there are a lot of people involved in prostitution that are forced into prostitution,” he said. “The goal is to eliminate that. If we can help just one person, it’s a successful operation.”

Those arrested were:

— Michael J. Bloomquist, 56, of Letts

— Anastase Gasominari, 30, of Iowa City

— Amanda M. Guzzle, 37, of Cedar Rapids

— Abraham Granjeno Sierra, 27, of West Liberty

— Jahmai J.H. Jones, 22, of Iowa City

— Daniel R. Morrow, 56, of Cedar Rapids

— Alexander J. Emmons, 21, of Bettendorf

— Sharlia M. Clark, 29, of Moline, Ill.

— Herekeza Mulengwa, 27, of Iowa City

— Michelle D. Romero, 39, of Oxford

— Brenda F. Sheets, 37, of Bettendorf

— Shane S. Higdon, 42, of Fairfield

Gaarde said while prostitution stings occur each year in Johnson County, he’s not surprised they continue to make arrests with the operations. One of the people arrested — Guzzle — was arrested in a prostitution sting in Cedar Rapids earlier this year.

“We could do them every weekend and we’d still have results,” he said. “These, obviously, are labor-intensive investigations. They could be done much more frequently, because there’s clearly the need for them.”

All told, more than 40 officers and officials were involved in the sting, including representatives from the Iowa City, Coralville, University of Iowa and North Liberty police departments, Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, Johnson County Attorney’s Office, the Iowa Division of Intelligence, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and Iowa State Patrol.

Each suspect was arrested and faces one count of prostitution, an aggravated misdemeanor punishable by up to two years in prison.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/n...a-city-prostitution-sting-catches-12-20160413

So they put ads about either about offering sex for pay or paying for sex and arrested pretty much anyone who responded to either one. And this according to them is suppose to stop human trafficking.

Something tells me no one who got arrested was trafficking any humans or looking for trafficked humans.

Waste of money and time if you ask me.

Pic of "Guzzle".

I'll admit it, I want to party with a girl named Guzzle. She just has to be awesome.

Reactions: QChawks
So they put ads about either about offering sex for pay or paying for sex and arrested pretty much anyone who responded to either one. And this according to them is suppose to stop human trafficking.

Something tells me no one who got arrested was trafficking any humans or looking for trafficked humans.

Agreed with one exception: There is huge entertainment value when you read the list of names hoping you'll know somebody. The discovery part is kind of exciting to me.

Amanda Guzzle:

EP-160419861.jpg&MaxH=1400&MaxW=1596

So how many trafficked people did they free from their captors?

This is the biggest crock of shit currently going in America today.

Think of the manpower and resources wasted on this, for a bunch of aggravated misdemeanors? That's a fine and court costs, every single time.

As a resident of the community I do not feel safer today or feel like the community is a better place because of this. Hell, the vast majority of those arrested were from significantly out of town. But my tax dollars went in to luring them here for the "big bust."

Money well spent, I'm sure.

Think of the manpower and resources wasted on this, for a bunch of aggravated misdemeanors? That's a fine and court costs, every single time.

As a resident of the community I do not feel safer today or feel like the community is a better place because of this. Hell, the vast majority of those arrested were from significantly out of town. But my tax dollars went in to luring them here for the "big bust."

but can't you just see all these barney fifes giggling like school girls as they watch these idiots on CC TV like it's a scene from porky's

40 gov employees wasted their time for this BS.

Like every other victimless crime, it's being fought under the guise of combatting "human trafficking"

I believe they use tinder now. Thats how that sports reporter from the DMR got caught.

40 gov employees wasted their time for this BS.

Like every other victimless crime, it's being fought under the guise of combatting "human trafficking"

But Sly, what if it helps just one person?

Last edited:

Not to mention potentially ruining lives. I referenced on HROT a prostitution sting in my area where a 70-year old man was arrested for trying to get an "asian massage" and shot himself the next day. He had grandkids, family, etc. in the area though his wife had passed years before.

Shouldn't be illegal. Doesn't mean it's right, but it shouldn't be illegal and the law shouldn't ruin people's lives. It's only the world's oldest profession.

Shouldn't be illegal. Doesn't mean it's right, but it shouldn't be illegal and the law shouldn't ruin people's lives. It's only the world's oldest profession.

Some comedian that I can't recall had a great line about prostitution: it's the only product that you legally can give away for free but is illegal to charge for ...

Pic of "Guzzle".

I'll admit it, I want to party with a girl named Guzzle. She just has to be awesome.
remember when you posted this before the pic was available?

Also, how cruel were her parents? Amanda Guzzle? Really?!?

It sounds like a prank call to Moe from the Simpson's: "Amanda Guzzle? I'm looking for Amanda Guzzle! Hey has anyone seen Amanda Guzzle around here!?!?" (laughter at the bar).

Not to mention potentially ruining lives. I referenced on HROT a prostitution sting in my area where a 70-year old man was arrested for trying to get an "asian massage" and shot himself the next day. He had grandkids, family, etc. in the area though his wife had passed years before.

Agreed. The true criminals here are the police

Exactly. . . you would better combat trafficking by making prostitution legal. IMO the people who are most likely able to know if a person is being trafficked is either other prostitutes or clients.

But they arn't going to go to the police because reporting it to the police involves self incrimination.

Don't act like you weren't hoping to see someone you know.

I wasn't. In fact, I really didn't pay much attention to the names of the people. The odds of me knowing anybody that gets caught up in a sting like this are quite low, if not near zero... I attribute that to the kind of people I associate with. I therefore can deduce a bit more about you now... but again, I'm not surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT