Name: TJ Hockenson
High School: Chariton
Position: Tight End
Graduation Year: 2016
Height: 6-foot-6
Weight: 230 pounds
Video: Hudl

Q: How was your official trip to Iowa?

HOCKENSON: It was awesome and we had a lot of fun. I was able to meet a lot of the players and around the coaches. It was amazing. It really felt like I was at home.

Q: What was your schedule during the weekend?

HOCKENSON: Friday night I wasn’t able to make it because we had a game that night so we didn’t get in until 1 (AM). The next morning, we toured the facilities, had some lunch, and talked to some of the professors. Then we went out with the players and got to hang out. Today we had some breakfast and then went to the game. I actually got the opportunity to sit with Coach Woods during most of the game so that was fun. He was actually my coach host.

Q: What was your favorite part of the trip?

HOCKENSON: It was probably going out with Drew Cook, a freshman there. We hung out with the other guys and recruits. We were able to get a lot closer.

Q: After visiting so many other times, did you feel like you learned anything?

HOCKENSON: I kind of knew what I was getting into and everything. The entire weekend made me feel more comfortable about it and it really made me feel like it was home. I am excited to get up there and excited to get started.

Q: How ready are for you to get the going at the next level?

HOCKENSON: I am excited to sign and the college experience will be awesome. Just being out with the players really showed you what it is like to be an athlete there. You are held to a higher level and you can't take that for granted. You have to treat that with respect. I learned a lot and like I said I am excited to be there for the next four years. I can't wait to be around such great people.

Q: Did they say anything about you redshirting?

HOCKENSON: They haven't said anything about redshirting or not redshirting. They don't really talk about that. They just talked about how I would fit in. I'm sure that I'll be redshirted unless I prove myself at camp or something happens. I'm sure I'll start off as a redshirt.

Q: How was building more bonds with the coaches?

HOCKENSON: The coaches are phenomenal. You can't say a bad word about them. They are the most genuine people out there. I spent the weekend with Coach Woods and he is just a great guy. I got to spend some time with his son, Mason, and you can feel the family around the entire Iowa program. It showed with being around Coach Ferentz, Coach Morgan, and being able to meet his wife. You can tell everyone around there is family oriented and just genuine people.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.