ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa DNR asks Attorney General to seek penalties against co-op that caused massive fertilizer spill

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
I imagine Brenna will give them the Bird:

The Iowa Department of Natural Resources wants the Iowa Attorney General’s Office to pursue enforcement action against a southwest Iowa cooperative that caused a fertilizer spill that killed about 750,000 fish on the East Nishnabotna River in March.

“Due to the gravity of this harm” the DNR is asking the Environmental Protection Commission at its meeting next week to refer the case to the AG, which can impose higher penalties.

Around March 9, someone at the NEW Cooperative in Red Oak left open a hose valve that leaked about 265,000 gallons of liquid nitrogen fertilizer into a drainage ditch that went to the East Nishnabotna River. An employee noticed the spill March 11 and alerted the Iowa DNR.

“The fertilizer spill near Red Oak in Montgomery County earlier this month killed nearly all the fish in an almost 50-mile stretch of the East Nishnabotna River to the Missouri border,” the department reported March 28.

At lower levels, nitrogen fertilizer can deplete water of oxygen, killing wildlife.

“However, this was such a large amount of chemical, it more than likely killed the fish from acute toxicity … killing cells at the gills,” John Lorenzen, an Iowa DNR fisheries biologist, told the Iowa Capital Dispatch. He also saw dead frogs, snakes, mussels and earthworms. “I’ve never dealt with a situation like this before.”

The DNR can pursue civil penalties of up to $10,000, but the Iowa Attorney General can pursue penalties of up to $5,000 per day, per violation, for National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permit holders.

The NEW Co. is a member-owned cooperative based in Fort Dodge with 80 locations in Iowa and Missouri.

It’s rare for the DNR to ask the AG’s office to step in on enforcement. And the Environmental Protection Commission, a nine-person, governor-appointed board that oversees environmental polices, doesn’t always follow recommendations from DNR staff.

In 2018, DNR asked the commission to refer to the AG’s office enforcement action against Walz Energy, which was building a cattle feedlot near Monona. That project, now called Supreme Beef, had multiple permit violations for stormwater discharge in the watershed of Bloody Run, a prized trout stream.

The discharge is significant because sediment released into trout habitat can fill in streambottom niches where fish lay their eggs, the DNR explained in 2018.

The EPC dismissed the recommendation.

Last month, 63 Iowans from 18 counties signed a letter to the DNR asking for a formal investigation of the “unprecedented” fertilizer spill and for the agency to refer the case to the AG.

“The devastation of life in over 50 miles of the river, including the death of 750,000 fish as reported by your dedicated staff, is difficult to even comprehend,” wrote Neil Hamilton, a Drake University emeritus professor of agricultural law, in the letter dated April 29.

The commission will hear the DNR’s request about the NEW Co. referral at a meeting May 22 at the Bridge View Conference Center in Ottumwa. The meeting starts at 9 a.m. To view the meeting online go to: https://meet.google.com/rzo-uidn-tvg

Timeline of fertilizer spill investigation​

The DNR’s request seeking AG action against New Co. includes a timeline of what happened in the March fertilizer spill.

• March 8: A NEW Co. worker accidentally leaves a valve on a hose open and nitrogen-based fertilizer starts flowing into a stormwater ditch and into the nearby East Nishnabotna River.
  • March 11: Workers who arrive at 5:30 a.m. Monday discover the spill. Senior Safety Coordinator Marty Cameron reports to the DNR the release of 265,000 gallons of nitrogen-based fertilizer over the weekend. DNR shuts a levee floodgate to contain the spill. Cleanup begins.
  • March 25: Red Oak Police Chief Justin Rhamy orders the levee’s floodgate to be reopened after the area gets about 1 inch to 1.5 inches of rain. Reopening the floodgate causes “the berm that was blocking the flow of the stormwater ditch and the East Nishnabotna River to fail.”
  • March 27: DNR Fisheries staff report an estimated 750,000 fish were killed on all 49.8 miles of the East Nishnabotna River. The spill continued into Missouri, where the Nish ends at the Missouri River.
  • April 11: DNR sends investigative report and notice of violation letter to NEW Co.
  • April 16: More than a month after the spill, lab tests still show increased concentrations of ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in the stormwater ditch and the area between the berm blocking the river.
  • April 26: Before a storm, DNR and local emergency managers agree to pump the water around the contaminated ditch to protect the river from further contamination. Because cleanup of contaminated soil is ongoing, regulators decide NEW Co. will be required to pump water out of the area and hold it in on-site tanks.

Reactions: TheCainer
Fertilizer companies in part are struggling due to labor shortages and hiring people that should be doing such things.

Had college students with me in a field last year on the edge. We thought he'd turn one way but came our way one of the females passed out in the heat and we were trying to assess her condition (one chaperone was a doctor. He was making a single pass on the edge of a field. He sprayed us. Then as she was lying on the road next to her dad's pickup truck, the idiot left the field and tried to fit on the road past the truck with the girl on the road. The doctor jumped up and stood right in front of the spraying. I was rather dumbfounded that he was so dumb.

Then again, it seems that more in ag are getting more defiant about their "rights".

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
I have to believe there was some form of negligence involved. At minimum someone needs to determine if something broke and or failed or if someone didn't or did do something. If the latter, fines for sure.

Actually read it: yes, fine them. The guy left the valve open.

Last edited:
Reactions: noStemsnoSTICKS
Fertilizer companies in part are struggling due to labor shortages and hiring people that should be doing such things.

Had college students with me in a field last year on the edge. We thought he'd turn one way but came our way one of the females passed out in the heat and we were trying to assess her condition (one chaperone was a doctor. He was making a single pass on the edge of a field. He sprayed us. Then as she was lying on the road next to her dad's pickup truck, the idiot left the field and tried to fit on the road past the truck with the girl on the road. The doctor jumped up and stood right in front of the spraying. I was rather dumbfounded that he was so dumb.

Then again, it seems that more in ag are getting more defiant about their "rights".

Speaking of staying in one's lane. I take it you are not a writer by trade.

Speaking of staying in one's lane. I take it you are not a writer by trade.
Actually I am and if you follow farm publications you've proly seen my work. I'm also a published author of history. In my personal life, I hate to proof my stuff. Kind of burnt out with it. To be honest, I've never actually read one of my published books and don't like to read my articles. However, they do pretty well. I also should never post using my phone.

I"m as serious as I can be.

Red Oak, Iowa?

Isn't that ole BreadBags home?

Someone will appeal any fine and they'll be let off the hook...because that's what ag enterprises do.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Actually I am and if you follow farm publications you've proly scene my work. I'm also a published author of history. In my personal life, I hate to proof my stuff. Kind of burnt out with it. To be honest, I've never actually read one of my published books and don't like to read my articles. However, they do pretty well.

I do not follow farm publications, so I have proly not scene your work. I do however appreciate your application of self deprecating humor, that's well done.

I do not follow farm publications, so I have proly not scene your work. I do however appreciate your application of self deprecating humor, that's well done.
I appreciate that. It's kind of therapeutic to just let it fly. As a writer, you can't have thin skin which takes time to develop. I don't write fluff pieces professionally.

So if I’m understanding correctly, that fertilizer valve was left open for several days before anyone noticed it, is that right? 265,000 gallons is a shit ton of fertilizer, the smell of it must have been overwhelmingly obvious to anyone in the vicinity of the spill. That’s a real head scratcher.

So if I’m understanding correctly, that fertilizer valve was left open for several days before anyone noticed it, is that right? 265,000 gallons is a shit ton of fertilizer, the smell of it must have been overwhelmingly obvious to anyone in the vicinity of the spill. That’s a real head scratcher.
Nitrogen is odorless, so I doubt that "the neighbors" would have had a clue that the spill was active. You may be thinking of ammonia. That being said...any holding tank (apparatus) that can hold 265,000 gallons of essentially poison should need to have some safeties, electronic monitoring, etc, installed and active, IMO.

While the loss of that amount of nitrogen would be quite expensive already...I say fine them severely, enough that others get the message to safeguard such stockpiles.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Nitrogen is odorless, so I doubt that "the neighbors" would have had a clue that the spill was active. You may be thinking of ammonia. That being said...any holding tank (apparatus) that can hold 265,000 gallons of essentially poison should need to have some safeties, electronic monitoring, etc, installed and active, IMO.

While the loss of that amount of nitrogen would be quite expensive already...I say fine them severely, enough that others get the message to safeguard such stockpiles.
You’re right, I was thinking of ammonia

I'd like to believe they have insurance for things like this. Insurance that covers up the restorative costs of something like this happening.

Hopefully, but premiums for the Coop are going to go through the roof. There needs to be some pain here. That is the whole point of punitive damages. Change behavior.

I'd like to believe they have insurance for things like this. Insurance that covers up the restorative costs of something like this happening.
I would imagine that they do...but I would also imagine that there is a policy limit and I really don't know what that would be in this case, but that was probably $500K+ worth of fertilizer down the drain, if you will.

Brenna joined a group of other MAGA AGs today in filing a lawsuit against the Biden Administration for heightened environmental standards. There is no way she goes after the coop.

And imagine the clean up costs...
No cleanup costs...the fertilizer ended up in the various rivers.

The Google map shows this storage tank area was away from any residential or business area that would have been noticeable to the general public.

And ad someone mentioned, liquid fertilizer is generally odorless.

Brenna joined a group of other MAGA AGs today in filing a lawsuit against the Biden Administration for heightened environmental standards. There is no way she goes after the coop.
Doesn't she have to enforce current regulation violations?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT