ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds sends 109 Iowa National Guard soldiers to U.S.-Mexico border

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds said she will use federal COVID-19 relief dollars to cover all expenses for the deployment of Iowa National Guard soldiers and state law enforcement officers to Texas to assist with security along the southern border.

Reynolds announced 109 soldiers from the Iowa National Guard on Wednesday deployed to Texas in support of Operation Lone Star, with the mission of “deterring illegal border crossings and preventing the trafficking of illegal substances by cartels through Texas.” The deployment will last until Sept. 1, the governor’s office said.

Iowa State Patrol officers will deploy Aug. 31 for a separate 30-day stint to support Texas state troopers with criminal interdiction, crime prevention, traffic enforcement and law enforcement assistance. An investigative team also will support Texas investigations of narcotics, weapons and human trafficking along the border, according to a news release from the governor’s office. That deployment will end Oct. 2.

This is the Iowa Guard’s third deployment to the U.S. southern border since 2020, but the first pursuant to a state mission.

Reynolds announced in May plans to send Iowa Guard members and state law officers to the border in response to a request for aid from Texas Gov. Greg Abbott following the end of Title 42, a pandemic-era rule that allowed the federal government to expel migrants more easily.

In the letter, Abbott, a Republican, said Texas had apprehended over 376,000 migrants and made 28,000 arrests since the March 2021 inception of Operation Lone Star.

In 2021, up to 30 Iowa Department of Public Safety officers and 24 Iowa National Guard members assisted in law enforcement efforts at the border in response to requests from Abbott and fellow Republican Gov. Doug Ducey of Arizona and, for Guard troops, from the federal government, costing the state about $300,000.

During the first deployment, Iowa officers assisted with 240 criminal arrests and 51 vehicle pursuits. They also seized 18 firearms, $1.7 million, 948 pounds of marijuana and 37 pounds of cocaine and methamphetamine, the governor’s office said.

Reynolds defended the decision by stating border security is a federal responsibility that has not been adequately addressed by Democratic President Joe Biden’s administration. The Republican governor has been critical of Biden’s border policies, placing the blame on him for record-high crossings, humanitarian concerns and an increase in fentanyl coming into the United States.

On Iowa Politics​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Legislative & Politics News Delivered to your inbox each weekday

Reynolds, in a statement, said “Iowa’s unique location at the intersection of two major interstates makes it a target for human traffickers and drug cartels.”

“Since the administration refuses to invest in securing the border and protecting its citizens, Texas has asked other states to help, and Iowa is ready and willing to assist,” Reynolds said.

Migrants arrested crossing along the U.S.-Mexico jumped more than 30 percent in July, according to preliminary U.S. Customs and Border Protection data obtained by The Washington Post.

U.S. agents made more than 130,000 arrests along the Mexico border last month, up from 99,545 in June. Authorities allowed an additional 50,000 migrants to cross into the United States in July, primarily through Biden administration programs allowing asylum-seekers to schedule appointments at U.S. ports of entry using the U.S. Customs and Border Protection One mobile application.

Unlawful border crossings, though, have declined following the enactment of stricter asylum rules, a Customs and Border Protection spokesperson told the Post, and remain lower than the levels recorded in the months before May 11, when the Biden administration ended Title 42.

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Reynolds office did not provide an estimate Wednesday, but said all costs related to the deployment will be covered by federal funding allocated to Iowa from the American Rescue Plan that Biden signed into law in 2021 and that Reynolds opposed.

The governor’s office asserted states are given flexibility in how the federal COVID-19 relief dollars can be used, provided it supports the provision of government services.

What’s not clear, though, is whether that covers providing law enforcement and border security services in another state. A spokesperson for Iowa State Auditor Rob Sand, a Democrat, said the office will review spending and make final determinations about the legality and appropriate use of American Rescue Plan funds in the course of its work.

Probably the best use of covid funds I've seen...
You need to open your lazy eyes then. A local government that I'm quite familiar with are doing the following with their ARPA funding:

Funding for crisis mental health and substance abuse treatment
Home repair and aging in place programs for the elderly in need
Eviction diversion programs
Community violence prevention programs
Wage theft recovery programs
Water quality improvement programs
Community food and farm programs
Affordable childcare programs
Expansion of rural and underserved populations transportation programs
Study for broadband expansion in underserved areas
General assistance program expansion
Affordable housing funding
Youth development & gun violence prevention
Grants to local nonprofits (local food banks, emergency shelter, etc.)

You either don't care to notice what is going on around you or your local governments/state suck, bigly.

You need to open your lazy eyes then. A local government that I'm quite familiar with are doing the following with their ARPA funding:

Funding for crisis mental health and substance abuse treatment
Home repair and aging in place programs for the elderly in need
Eviction diversion programs
Community violence prevention programs
Wage theft recovery programs
Water quality improvement programs
Community food and farm programs
Affordable childcare programs
Expansion of rural and underserved populations transportation programs
Study for broadband expansion in underserved areas
General assistance program expansion
Affordable housing funding
Youth development & gun violence prevention
Grants to local nonprofits (local food banks, emergency shelter, etc.)

You either don't care to notice what is going on around you or your local governments/state suck, bigly.

In my opinion we shouldn't be spending leftover covid dollars on anything anymore,.. Covid is over.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelsers
“Iowa’s unique location at the intersection of two major interstates makes it a target for human traffickers and drug cartels.”

Does she have a brain injury?
Those comments are the results of decades of alcohol abuse.

The numpties will buy it.

The troops that go to this volunteer for it. I pretty much guarantee this is just a big vacation from normal job duties, and they likely get paid handsomely, for doing nothing. What a joke for use of taxpayer money, but a great deal for the troopers that get to go.
To go sit in 100+ degree heat 1000 miles from friends and families with nothing to actually do?
Pass.

Oh. This stunt again. She continues to waste tax payer money.
It plays well to the rubes. There is a reason reruns are popular on TV. And, in her case performance art like this beats doing real work as governor. She could use the resources available to her to go after traffickers in Iowa, or to hamper those who employ illegals in Iowa, but, that wouldn't get her the GOD DAMN RIGHT nods from Rifler and Northern she is playing for.

“Iowa’s unique location at the intersection of two major interstates makes it a target for human traffickers and drug cartels.”

She may. Apparently Kim's completely unaware that almost every state in the lower 48 has an intersection of major interstate highways within them. Some states have several in fact.

Well I can state that the effects and the fallout of the pandemic continues to linger in many areas of our communities nationwide. It may not affect you personally, but that doesn't mean everything is going great for everyone else around you.

Things are never great for everyone, that's called life,.. Time to move on.

She may. Apparently Kim's completely unaware that almost every state in the lower 48 has an intersection of major interstate highways within them. Some states have several in fact.
Exactly what caught my eye.

'We' have also been largely spared the worst of the fentanyl problem so far, so I don't know what the hell she's talking about on that front either. It's just a really stupid thing to say when it's no secret that Ohio, Connecticut and Pennsylvania exist.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
The troops that go to this volunteer for it. I pretty much guarantee this is just a big vacation from normal job duties, and they likely get paid handsomely, for doing nothing. What a joke for use of taxpayer money, but a great deal for the troopers that get to go.
I can tell you they definitely do not get paid handsomely to go.

If Chet would have tried to pull a stunt like this, Iowa GOPers would have been in full revolt.
What a total phuquin’ waste of tax payer money...and what a misuse of COVID monies! The governor ought to have her head examined.
Meanwhile, 55+% of my fellow residents are nodding their heads, sayin’ “You go girl!”
Iowans are so phuquin’ braindead, It scares the hell out of me!

It's been known as a significant corridor for years.

Corridor F, a south-north corridor, extends from the Texas-Mexico border through the West Central and Great Lakes Regions. The primary route along this corridor, I-35, extends from Laredo (TX) to Duluth (MN).

It's been known as a significant corridor for years.

Corridor F, a south-north corridor, extends from the Texas-Mexico border through the West Central and Great Lakes Regions. The primary route along this corridor, I-35, extends from Laredo (TX) to Duluth (MN).

In addition to the other 7 listed in your link. So very unique.

You gonna link the Johnny Gosch wiki to back up her fear tactics next?

Corridor F???

I-35 is the road where Dim Kim got her first DUI.

Her response when she was arrested in the median that nite..."Officer, I was looking for illegal immigrants".

• Haha
Reactions: cigaretteman
Yeah, I'm sorry. Iowa definitely is unique with it's single interstate intersection that has made it a target for human and fentanyl traffickers.

:rolleyes:

It's a U.S. Department of Justice link citing the National Drug Intelligence Center.

This is the first paragraph. Do you know more than them?

Virtually every interstate and highway in the United States is used by traffickers to transport illicit drugs to and from distribution centers and market areas throughout the country, and every highway intersection provides alternative routes to drug markets. However, analysis of current seizure data reveals eight principal corridors through which most illicit drugs and drug proceeds are transported to and from market areas (see Figure 4).

Those comments are the results of decades of alcohol abuse.

The numpties will buy it.

LOL. You three just got destroyed.

Can't fix stupid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT