ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signs bill requiring K-12 instruction on U.S. history, Western civilization

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed a bill into law Wednesday requiring certain topics to be taught in social studies curriculum and mandating a comprehensive review of Iowa’s educational standards.

Iowa Republicans passed the bill this year after adding language from a different bill that would have required a list of social studies curriculum, developed by a conservative think tank, to be taught in K-12 schools.

The law, House File 2542, requires instruction on historical events like World War I and II, the Holocaust, 9/11, and the U.S. founding documents. Schools also must teach about the founding of Iowa and famous Iowans.

Reynolds signed the bill in a private ceremony at Beit Shalom Jewish Community in Davenport alongside members of the Jewish Federation of the Quad Cities and state legislative officials.

“As part of a broader update to our educational standards designed to promote a deeper understanding of both American civics and Western history, this bill specifically requires that students be taught about the Holocaust,” Reynolds said in a statement. “It also requires instruction on the broader context of World War II, as well as the significance of ancient Israel.”

In teaching about the U.S. government, the law also directs schools to teach about alternative forms of government, including the “crimes against humanity that have occurred under communist regimes.”

The law’s curriculum directives focus on Western civilization, requiring instruction on Greek city-states, ancient Rome, ancient Israel and medieval Europe.

Republicans: Must teach ‘the good, the bad, and be honest’​

In legislative debate this year, Republican supporters of the bill said they needed to prescribe social studies curriculum because students did not have enough appreciation for U.S. history and major historical figures. They argued students were learning only the negatives of U.S. history.

Sen. Jeff Taylor, R-Sioux Center, said during debate in April that understanding Western civilization is key to understanding the founding ideas of the U.S.

"We have to teach our children, the next generation, where we came from," he said. "The good, the bad, and be honest about all of that."

Democrats said that the bill was overly prescriptive. Iowa code largely avoids giving specific curriculum directives, and state education standards are developed by educators and subject matter experts through a process that allows public input.

“This Legislature has never put curriculum in the code, and it’s not the job of the Legislature to prescribe curriculum,” Sen. Molly Donahue, a Democrat from Cedar Rapids, said during floor debate in April.

Law requires grad requirement review by state education director​

The other main division of the law requires the state Department of Education director to create a comprehensive review of high school graduation requirements and core curriculum standards.

The review will include a plan to regularly review and revise core content, a plan to “make Iowa’s educational standards the best in the nation,” and input from stakeholders, including parents and teachers.

The law requires the director to submit an initial report by Dec. 31, 2024. A final report — including findings and recommendations for policy changes — will be due to the governor and the Legislature by July 1, 2025.

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
This Is Not Good Season 8 GIF by THE NEXT STEP

Weird that Ancient Israel gets so much love. It's nice that the Holocaust will be taught, but, that seems to be bordering on DEI. Better keep a tight eye on that.

Provided we are presenting these courses in an honest and fair manner, I don't think there are drastically different ways to teach them...
You can think that, but you're not in education. Slavery isn't being taught in an honest and fair manner in states like Florida. One company is teaching it like it was a benefit. That's disgusting.

I don't understand this at all. Israel, ancient Greece, medieval Europe and atrocities committed by Communist regimes are really interesting to learn about and definitely have value, but they also seem more like college level history subjects.

Will they include history such as evolution? The tortures of the Spanish Inquisition? The Salem With Hunts?

Will these standardized versions that must be taught apply to private schools?

For years, Hillsdale College was best known as a conservative Midwestern school that refused federal funding to avoid government regulations. The private Christian college’s Michigan campus features statues of Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher and frequently hosts Republican politicians to give speeches.
Recently, though, Hillsdale has become more widely known as the go-to resource for conservatives looking to overhaul K-12 education. For some, the college’s name is shorthand for civics lessons that teach children to love America and reject the notion that racism still permeates society.

Amid national battles over what children should learn in public schools, Hillsdale is working to export this vision by setting up charter schools in over a dozen states and publicizing its 1776 Curriculum, which emphasizes American exceptionalism. The college says over 8,400 administrators and teachers have downloaded the curriculum, and a growing number of state and local policymakers are also seeking Hillsdale’s guidance.
In Pennsylvania, a school board in the Philadelphia suburbs recently hired a former Hillsdale administrator, over vociferous objections from teachers, to incorporate the 1776 Curriculum into the district’s coursework and advise administrators on books to remove from libraries.
In South Dakota, Gov. Kristi Noem, a Republican, brought in one of the college’s emeritus politics professors to set new state standards for a social studies curriculum based on Hillsdale’s models — as part of a broader order to eliminate critical race theory from schools. Supporters praised the new standards for rejecting “woke orthodoxy.”

And in Florida, Hillsdale faculty have been tapped to review school curricula and textbooks, lead teacher training sessions and govern a public college. Gov. Ron DeSantis, who is seeking the GOP presidential nomination, cited Hillsdale as he touted ways he’s overhauled education in the state during a speech last month at Moms for Liberty’s national summit.
Hillsdale, which has fewer than 1,700 students but a $900 million endowment, gives out many of its resources for free. The college’s leaders have said they’re getting involved in K-12 schools because they believe students should learn about the “very goodness” of America’s founding. Amid culture war battles dominating school districts, Hillsdale’s deep connections to the conservative movement have made it a trusted brand at top of mind for policymakers looking to reverse what they consider a progressive takeover of public education.

“What’s appealing about Hillsdale is that there’s an off-the-shelf answer,” said Jeffrey Henig, a political scientist at Columbia University’s Teachers College. “So legislators can express their outrage at what they think has been going on, and say, ‘Look here, we have the answer, and it’s a low-cost thing.’”
Matthew Spalding, Hillsdale’s vice president for Washington operations, said the college’s work on K-12 education is an extension of the school’s “extremely long view” on spreading the gospel of patriotism, and civil and religious freedom.
“Don’t think of us as a public policy institution or a political organization that kind of jumps in the fray here and there with the latest fad,” Spalding said.
In January, DeSantis named Spalding as a trustee to New College of Florida, and a top aide for the governor said the goal was to remake the public liberal arts school as a “Hillsdale of the South.” Spalding and four Hillsdale faculty were also picked by the Florida education department to give presentations in a civics training for teachers.

“We’re just going to keep doing what we’re doing,” she said.

It’s rare for a college to provide so many resources for K-12 education, according to Chester Finn Jr., an assistant secretary of education in the Reagan administration, who holds positions at multiple right-leaning think tanks. And Hillsdale’s teaching model provides something that conservatives are seeking for their children, Finn said, “which is both here’s what they should learn, and let’s shield them from what they shouldn’t learn.”
As Hillsdale’s footprint has grown, so have protests over its influence. Educators and liberal-leaning parents object to Hillsdale’s curriculum, saying it inserts a right-wing worldview into K-12 schools. The American Historical Association has accused the 1776 Curriculum of downplaying racism, the Great Migration and the power of the Ku Klux Klan. (Hillsdale says its curriculum “comprehensively” covers “points of shame” in America’s history, mentioning slavery more than 3,300 times.)
“What they’ve done is they’ve simply left stuff out in an attempt to shape a vision of patriotism,” said James Grossman, executive director of the American Historical Association. “What they also are trying to do is replace an approach to teaching that teaches students how to think with an approach that teaches the students what to think.”
But Hillsdale’s critics have had little power to stop Republican officeholders intent on reshaping the way American history is taught.
“It’s the hat,” said Adam Laats, a historian at Binghamton University in New York who studies culture war battles over education. “The red hat that brought Trump to office — this idea that America can be made great again — I think the educational part of that is that if we’re going to make America great again, children need to love it. And they need to learn to love it, and we need to teach them to love it. And so the Hillsdale curriculum is the red hat in textbook form.”
Hillsdale’s emphasis on American exceptionalism, Laats said, appeals to people who “worry that if kids aren’t hearing that, they are doing things like running off and joining antifa and burning down cities.”

Hillsdale was founded by abolitionist Baptists in 1844 and was open to women and Black students from the start, facts that are frequently noted by college officials.
Hillsdale has spent years integrating itself in national conservative circles, notably through a Washington, D.C., satellite campus that Ginni Thomas, wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, helped establish in 2010. Former Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, well-known for her support of subsidizing private schools, is a major donor to Hillsdale. The conservative writer William F. Buckley bestowed much of his life’s work to the college.
Larry Arnn, co-founder of the Claremont Institute, a right-wing think tank, became Hillsdale’s president in 2000. Arnn serves on the board for the Heritage Foundation, a prominent conservative policy organization. Former Vice President Mike Pence and the right-wing activist Chris Rufo are among the college’s recent featured speakers. And the school’s alumni pepper the staffs of conservative media outlets and the offices of GOP officials.
In 2020, as conservatives protested The New York Times’ “1619 Project,” which highlights slavery’s role in shaping American history, then-President Donald Trump picked Arnn to lead a 1776 Commission. The commission produced a report that gave an overview of American history and principles. Historians knocked the report, saying it treated the country’s founders as “godlike men,” minimized women and people of color and compared 20th-century progressive reformers to Italian dictator Benito Mussolini.
“These are legitimate and serious questions — the role the progressive movement played, and how that changed our understanding of the American founding, is a crucial one and a very important one,” said Spalding, a Hillsdale dean who was also on the 1776 Commission. “And I think that a good history should go back and grapple with those questions.”

When my older kid was a sophomore in high school, she and hundreds of her classmates walked out of school to protest gun violence that turned so many schools like hers across the nation into killing fields.

She carried a sign. “Why such a big gun? Overcompensating?

Clever girl. Two years before the walkout, she used another kid’s cellphone to tell me her middle school was being evacuated due to a threat. I walked out of my house to the sound of wailing sirens. I drove toward the evacuation location, Lowe Park, not knowing what was happening.

The threat was fake. Still, she was scared. I was terrified.

So, smart kids such as my daughter, who pay attention to the news, are interested in history and have their own informed views about the state of the state and nation, understood the need to walk out and speak up. No one told her to do it. She just did.

Now, Iowa House Republicans are telling me it’s radical leftists in our schools who used civics instruction to push my kid into activism. Clearly, they have not met her.

But they have a bill to fix it. Because of course they do. It cleared the House this week.

House File 2544 prescribes what sort of civics and history should bet taught to Iowa students. Politicians writing detailed curriculum. What could go wrong?

One thing they want to do is ban “action civics.” So, what’s that?

According to Education Week, action civics’ goal is “not only to teach students how their government works but to harness that knowledge to launch them into collective action on issues they care about. And its lofty goal is to revitalize democracy with a new generation of informed, engaged citizens.”

Well, we’ve got to outlaw that.

The Education Week article talks about kids in Oklahoma who lobbied for accurate HIV and AIDS instruction, and middle school students in California who tested water in their school drinking fountains and convinced their principal to install a filtration system. Chicago kids convinced the transit authority to move a bus stop to a safer spot, and some more Oklahoma kids led the charge for an $11 million bond issue to renovate their school.

Sounds great. But the last thing a bunch of middle-aged, cranky conservative legislators want is kids involved in public policy. They have so many funny ideas about guns, racial equality, LGBTQ rights and environmental protection. After all, children should be seen and not heard. Maybe not even seen.

No Iowa school, under the bill, can teach action civics. And no state university can give credit for any course that teaches the value of activism.

Iowa is following the lead of ruby red Texas, which outlawed any assignments involving direct communications between students and federal, state and local officials.

Backers of the Iowa social studies bill would bury civic engagement in facts to memorize, documents to study and heroes to revere. Lawmakers get to choose.

Middle and high school students will learn about “Christian liberty” in England and the American colonies. They’ll learn about the civic virtues of famous people. Only two women make the cut, Susan B. Anthony and Abigail Adams. Although the list includes Ronald Reagan, Franklin Roosevelt is nowhere to be found. Nor is the nation’s first Black president.

The Holocaust is included in history curriculum, but not the failures of Reconstruction or the violent theft of land from indigenous people. The Civil Rights movement is mentioned, but not Jim Crow, or anything about structural racism that has survived to this day. Neither the Vietnam War nor Watergate is mentioned, although I’m pretty sure they happened.

Students will learn “The United States’ exceptional and praiseworthy history.” Same goes for “Western Civilization.” Somewhere, former Congressman Steve King is smiling.

Do truly exceptional nations really have to keep saying they’re exceptional?

Students will learn “The concept that United States history shall be viewed as factual, not as constructed, shall be viewed as knowable, teachable and testable, and shall be defined as the creation of a new nation based largely on the universal principles stated in the Declaration of Independence,” the bill states.

I have no problem with teaching from source documents, focusing on big events, discussing our guiding ideals and introducing key figures. But the idea that American history can’t be questioned seems, well, un-American.

A lot of the language in the bill is cribbed from suggested legislation put forward by the America First Policy Institute, the Civics Alliance and the National Association of Scholars. Trumpers’ fingerprints are all over this stuff.

Permitting a radical right-wing Legislature to dictate what kids learn about history and civics is an astoundingly bad idea. They have no interest in turning out well-informed citizens who know how to think and are ready to take part in selecting the best leaders for our democratic institutions. They want citizens who will not question conservative orthodoxy, patriotic mythology or our current leaders, waving flags. We’re exceptional, so everything we do is magic.

Our founders were clearly practicing action civics. Now, activism is a dirty word, unless you’re trying to ban books, trample the rights of transgender kids or dictate civics and history curriculum.

One way to know for sure someone doesn’t really understand history is when they tell you there’s one, accurate version of our past. Anyone who studies history knows the more you learn, the more questions arise. You’ll find orthodox explanations don’t seem to fit as you peel back the layers.

Imagine someday when the history of our time is studied. Is there one clear, factual version? Yeah, no.

I can only be thankful that my kids won’t have to endure this transformation of history and civics programs into farm teams for the Heritage Foundation.

And why such a big bill? Overcompensating?

(319) 398-8262; todd.dorman@thegazette.com

Reactions: Ree4 and mthawkeyes
"We have to teach our children, the next generation, where we came from," he said. "The good, the bad, and be honest about all of that."
When they say stuff like this, they really mean what they think was good, bad, or honest.
I don't understand this at all. Israel, ancient Greece, medieval Europe and atrocities committed by Communist regimes are really interesting to learn about and definitely have value, but they also seem more like college level history subjects.
Some of these can be included in AP classes if possible…but you also run into the trap that by forcing everything to be taught, you’re teaching nothing beyond surface-level, you don’t have time to go in-depth on more important things.

I was a history major in undergrad. Politicians need to stay out of the curriculum. I firmly believe we are sending out generations with no clue when it comes to US history or government. But that can be fixed in other ways than dictation from DSM.

Reactions: Ree4 and SSG T
This stuff is absolutely essential for understanding life in the U.S., but I think the gaping hole might be more with the immigrant population and absolutely with the illegal immigrant population.

Gaining knowledge of Western Civilization should be part of whatever citizenship course new residents are exposed to.

I remember being exposed to all of that stuff mentioned above ... somewhere along the way ... and frankly more than once. I do suspect that in these areas we are slipping if not totally failing these days.

This stuff has to be common knowledge to everyone in the land and I suspect that is not the case.

By the way,, Hillsdale College is great. They even have a number of free online courses that anyone can sign up for ... running from the Hebrew Bible to Ancient Greece to Quantum Physics and Chemistry.

Last edited:
Will they include history such as evolution? The tortures of the Spanish Inquisition? The Salem With Hunts?

Will these standardized versions that must be taught apply to private schools?
I wonder if they’ll include literature such as arithmetic?

This stuff is absolutely essential for understanding life in the U.S., but I think the gaping hole might be more with the immigrant population and absolutely with the illegal immigrant population.

Gaining knowledge of Western Civilization should be part of whatever citizenship course new residents are exposed to.

I remember being exposed to all of that stuff mentioned above ... somewhere along the way ... and frankly more than once. I do suspect that in these areas we are slipping if not totally failing these days.

This stuff has to be common knowledge to everyone in the land and I suspect that is not the case.

By the Hillsdale College is great. They even have a number of free online courses that anyone can sign up for ... running from the Hebrew Bible to Ancient Greece to Quantum Physics and Chemistry.

I have trouble seeing how medieval European and ancient Israeli history is so relevant to modern life in Iowa that it will now be mandatory curriculum in public schools.

World Civ I guess was an elective when I took it as HS senior.
Our world history class in HS definitely covered medieval Europe.
Much less time spent on 20th century history outside the US.

I have trouble seeing how medieval European and ancient Israeli history is so relevant to modern life in Iowa that it will now be mandatory curriculum in public schools.
People should learn about how long they’ve been changing borders over there so they’re less likely to convince Americans we should fight over their borders.

Reactions: Finance85
When they say stuff like this, they really mean what they think was good, bad, or honest.

Some of these can be included in AP classes if possible…but you also run into the trap that by forcing everything to be taught, you’re teaching nothing beyond surface-level, you don’t have time to go in-depth on more important things.
What would you suggest?

What would you suggest?
Well, apparently the way social studies courses are taught now is not something republicans are happy about.

History classes in particular have always been tricky - limited time to teach a broad range depending on the subject.

I am confused tho - what schools weren’t already teaching WW1, holocaust, etc? Or was that just not covering them the way republicans think they should be taught?

World Civ I guess was an elective when I took it as HS senior.
Our world history class in HS definitely covered medieval Europe.
Much less time spent on 20th century history outside the US.

I too took electives covering broader European history and am glad for the opportunity. I still don't see how that moves these literally archaic subjects from elective to core curriculum. It's pretty dense and specialized stuff to require foe high school graduation.

People should learn about how long they’ve been changing borders over there so they’re less likely to convince Americans we should fight over their borders.

There are plenty of examples to point to in modern history if pushing that agenda is a priority.

I am confused tho - what schools weren’t already teaching WW1, holocaust, etc? Or was that just not covering them the way republicans think they should be taught?
This.

We're talking about Rs. So it goes without saying....

The "without saying" part - in case it didn't actually go without saying - is that they are trying to get away with something dishonest.

I am liberal as they come but we should spend more time teaching about Revolutionary War, Civil War, WWI, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf Wars, etc. Back in the 90s, we barely covered that stuff and instead is was almost always crap about the war of 1812, Christopher Columbus, etc. who freaking cares, mention it for a few minutes and then get to the stuff from the last century.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT