ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signs bill requiring K-12 instruction on U.S. history, Western civilization

For the wealthy of ROT, I found you a select piece for historical purposes..... One of 426 of the of Benjamin Franklin memoirs. Feel free to buy me a copy.

What about slavery, civil war reconstruction, and the great migration? How about Industrial Revolution, the guilded age, and the Great Depression? How about the great awakening or American imperialism? Westward expansion?

I’m sorry, but the emphasis on WW2 without ever touching on the French Revolution, Napoleonic Era, European Nationalism, German Unification, WW1, and Bolshevism is a waste and prevents any real understanding of the forces leading up to WW2.

It feels like a way to just focus on America as the good guys, defend Zionism and nothing else.

I don't think any of this is bad. If a Dem governor wanted the same thing it'd be lauded as a brilliant idea.

If Des Moines is going to get overly involved in education then I want a 100% total ban on the "New Math". That sh!t is fu**ing garbage

I don't think any of this is bad. If a Dem governor wanted the same thing it'd be lauded as a brilliant idea.

If Des Moines is going to get overly involved in education then I want a 100% total ban on the "New Math". That sh!t is fu**ing garbage
Not true. What we want is for the government - when it's people aren't educators and don't work with children - to stay out of it. I voted for Branstad, Republican, his last term because we always felt he didn't attack teachers and wasn't a hinderance. Kim is the exact opposite of that. The government should work hand in hand with us, not trying to blow up a system in a State that for years had a top 5 public school system.

Will they include history such as evolution? The tortures of the Spanish Inquisition? The Salem With Hunts?

Will these standardized versions that must be taught apply to private schools?
The fact the Pope was little more than a feudal King and not some religious figurehead.

This certainly feels like a bit of a precursor to something.
Perhaps a “Universal history text book” for all Iowa schools to use/follow……(dare I say, just like Texas)…this would be a start…..Texas uses universal text books for all its school (K-12) curriculums…this is another topic full of politics that I am sure Kim has her eye on, but for another time…..curriculum text books and their content is a huge business (huge money!), full of potential exploitation of politics, schools, teachers and students)…..Text book business is really interesting stuff.

Reactions: Moral
Will they include history such as evolution? The tortures of the Spanish Inquisition? The Salem With Hunts?

Will these standardized versions that must be taught apply to private schools?
Evolution is history? Idiot. It's a theory in history. Don't you know the difference?

Not true. What we want is for the government - when it's people aren't educators and don't work with children - to stay out of it. I voted for Branstad, Republican, his last term because we always felt he didn't attack teachers and wasn't a hinderance. Kim is the exact opposite of that. The government should work hand in hand with us, not trying to blow up a system in a State that for years had a top 5 public school system.
I will agree with you on that as long as you agree with me the "new math" is hot ass

Reactions: Tom Paris
Yes. And it's well documented. But I'm not surprised that you don't know this.
Im beginning to think you have odd humor. Religion history and modern impact of religion Or lack of it should be a part of any critical thinking curriculum.

Provided we are presenting these courses in an honest and fair manner, I don't think there are drastically different ways to teach them...
I'm reading the People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn right now, I'd say that's drastically different.

Here's the first paragraph - pretty disturbing.

Arawak men and women, naked, tawny, and full of wonder, emerged from their villages onto the island’s beaches and swam out to get a closer look at the strange big boat. When Columbus and his sailors came ashore, carrying swords, speaking oddly, the Arawaks ran to greet them, brought them food, water, gifts. He later wrote of this in his log.

They . . . brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things, which they exchanged for the glass beads and hawks’ bells. They willingly traded everything they owned. . . . They were well-built, with good bodies and handsome features. . . . They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have no iron. Their spears are made of cane. . . . They would make fine servants. . . . With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want.

71Zb-D8NaGL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Reactions: cigaretteman
I'm reading the People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn right now, I'd say that's drastically different.

Arawak men and women, naked, tawny, and full of wonder, emerged from their villages onto the island’s beaches and swam out to get a closer look at the strange big boat. When Columbus and his sailors came ashore, carrying swords, speaking oddly, the Arawaks ran to greet them, brought them food, water, gifts. He later wrote of this in his log.

They . . . brought us parrots and balls of cotton and spears and many other things, which they exchanged for the glass beads and hawks’ bells. They willingly traded everything they owned. . . . They were well-built, with good bodies and handsome features. . . . They do not bear arms, and do not know them, for I showed them a sword, they took it by the edge and cut themselves out of ignorance. They have no iron. Their spears are made of cane. . . . They would make fine servants. . . . With fifty men we could subjugate them all and make them do whatever we want.

That will certainly not be allowed in Kim's new history standards.

Imagine being such an a-hole that among your first thoughts is that they would be easy to enslave.

For sure, too accurate!
And think of poor Cindy or Bobby learning that, they might feel really sad and maybe even uncomfortable. We can't have that. Better to change it up so it was all like a happy Thanksgiving feast where everyone was friendly and the settlers always helped the natives live a better, happier life.

That has singlehandedly phased out 3 generations of people being able to help kids/grandkids with math.
We HAD a great math teacher. He taught kids multiple ways and didn’t care how they came up with the right answer. He quit for another profession half way through the year. “I can’t do 16 more years of this.” Great teacher we lost because of the constant bullshit.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
We HAD a great math teacher. He taught kids multiple ways and didn’t care how they came up with the right answer. He quit for another profession half way through the year. “I can’t do 16 more years of this.” Great teacher we lost because of the constant bullshit.
About 5 years ago my stepsister (6th grade at the time) needed help with some math homework. My dad helped her and helped her how to show her work. All answers were correct but she got a 0% because her "work" wasn't "new math work".

My dad was so furious he left work early and stood in the principal's office until he was let in. Now it's hilarious to imagaine him say "math is math!" "MATH DOESN'T CHANGE"

If I remember the principal was young and explained to him that she liked it and he responded with "well I think it's stupid and you're f'n stupid"🤣🤣🤣

Absolutely…..I picked up on the new verbiage/strategies pretty quickly, too…….wasnt much different than what I was taught 35 years before her really.
Ok now imagine a kid asking YOU TO HELP THEM with this new math strategy. It's complete BS.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
About 5 years ago my stepsister (6th grade at the time) needed help with some math homework. My dad helped her and helped her how to show her work. All answers were correct but she got a 0% because her "work" wasn't "new math work".

My dad was so furious he left work early and stood in the principal's office until he was let in. Now it's hilarious to imagaine him say "math is math!" "MATH DOESN'T CHANGE"

If I remember the principal was young and explained to him that she liked it and he responded with "well I think it's stupid and you're f'n stupid"🤣🤣🤣
Your father was certain a mature man….a great parental model for you to follow…..I always believed telling folks they were “
“F’in stupid” was a great motivator and a positive way to make change.

• Haha
Reactions: ButtersHawk
He is great. He has deaf parents that he had to learn to communicate with. He had to work on the family farm so he coukd save money to buy his own school supplies and clothes from the age of 10-18. Any money he had left went towards soccer because cleats and mattress foam for shin guards because soccer was the cheapest sport he could afford without parents help. He overcame addiction, taught me the value of hard work, to use common sense, and not start sh!t but finish it.

In regards to what you think is a witty comment he said that after a 30 minute sit down of why math doesn't change and how is it possible for parents to help their children with math according to these new rules. He was defending what is basically his daughter that had no father figure and was getting severely bullied (multiple claims with witnesses) in class without intervention from said principal.

So moral of this story is have an open mind and learn to laugh from time to time and quit judging without context. Based off some of your pics I could attack you for being a leper or a meth addict with scratchy syndrome but I don't do I? Have a blessed day f**kface
To each their own. I just cannot imagine any meaningful, constructive conversation with someone you dont know being positive by calling them “f’in stupid”…..It could not have been one of your father’s better moments. Chances are your sister didn’t need your dad’s “cover”…..I learned the most (and the fastest) learning my own lessons…..I let my kids fight their own battles too, for the most part. Never had a reason to call one of their teachers a “stupid f***” either….Carry on….teach your children well. Always a pleasure to share insights with you.

Weird that Ancient Israel gets so much love. It's nice that the Holocaust will be taught, but, that seems to be bordering on DEI. Better keep a tight eye on that.
Isreal was founded post-WW2, right….like about 1949 by UN Charter? We need to start teaching the before Christ Israel?? The Old Testament Isreal? The Israel that the Bible talks about?
What might that Israel have to do with this America? Other than from a religious aspect which after the demise of Roger Williams’ Rhode Island religion lost its footing in the government of America.

This is going to be forcing it to be taught only the way the far right wants history to be taught.

This is precisely what Fascism is.

The radical wingers scream "Fascism", apparently applying it to leftists, which is antithetical to left ideology,

Fascism is directly placed on the right-wing spectrum.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT