ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Iowa State dual on November 24

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004
Last edited:
Tix are $25 for the Iowa meet. $10 for all other meets.

Should be fun to smack them in the mouth.

125: Lee PIN Mackell 6-0
133: ADS dec Gomez 9-0
141: Murin dec Parker 12-0
149: Degan dec Lugo 12-3
157: Carr dec Young 12-6
165: Bull PIN Jennings 18-6
174: Brands dec Coleman 21-6
184: Colbray dec Wilcke 21-9
197: Warner maj Shapiro 25-9
HWT Cass PIN Gremmel/Anderson 31-9

Notes: At this point nothing will be settled for Teasdale/DeSanto before Midlands. So Coach will send out the guy who has beaten him. Or maybe this is a good test for Teasdale since we know what he can do. Kem will still be handled with kid gloves until after the holidays. Think Shapiro could be closer than a major due to his fight but I can see a boring match where Warner finds a cheap tilt for the major.

Last edited:

Notes: At this point nothing will be settled for Teasdale/DeSanto before Midlands. So Coach will send out the guy who has beaten him. Or maybe this is a good test for Teasdale since we know what he can do. Kem will still be handled with kid gloves until after the holidays. Think Shapiro could be closer than a major due to his fight but I can see a boring match where Warner finds a cheap tilt for the major.
Could see Cashman at 125 if Lee goes to Bill Farrell Nov 15-16

Reactions: Exo
If Brands is going for 57 he probably won't beat out Myles Wilson for the 174 back up role. He may not be able to beat Wilson even if he is the 65/74 back up. Wilson was looking good until his injury.

Price gouging for Hawk match! :p:p Still supporting them financially.

In regard to the matchups... Jennings is long gone. Carr over Young? I still don't have confidence in Murin.

Otherwise... pretty reasonable.

I still think this is a fairly close dual without Kemerer. Although, same as I said last year there are probably what I would consider as 6 toss ups (33, 41, 49, 57, 74, 84). I don’t see ISU as a heavy favorite at any of the 10 weights, so things could get very ugly for them.

Spencer pin 6-0
Ads dec 9-0
Parker deck 9-3
Degen dec 9-6
Carr dec 9-9
Marinelli Fall Straw 15-9 Iowa
Coleman dec 15-12 Iowa
Colbray dec 15-15
Warner dec 18-15 Iowa
Cass Fall 24-15 Iowa

I still think this is a fairly close dual without Kemerer. Although, same as I said last year there are probably what I would consider as 6 toss ups (33, 41, 49, 57, 74, 84). I don’t see ISU as a heavy favorite at any of the 10 weights, so things could get very ugly for them.

Spencer pin 6-0
Ads dec 9-0
Parker deck 9-3
Degen dec 9-6
Carr dec 9-9
Marinelli Fall Straw 15-9 Iowa
Coleman dec 15-12 Iowa
Colbray dec 15-15
Warner dec 18-15 Iowa
Cass Fall 24-15 Iowa
That's also possible, but I don't think Coleman can take Brands' non stop for 7 minutes. Coleman just doesn't seem to have a very high ceiling, imo.

That's also possible, but I don't think Coleman can take Brands' non stop for 7 minutes. Coleman just doesn't seem to have a very high ceiling, imo.
Was basing my prediction off Wilson. Agree that Brands pace could cause Coleman problems. But Coleman’s size and length could cause Brands problems. That would be an interesting match.

Reactions: MitchLL
Was basing my prediction off Wilson. Agree that Brands pace could cause Coleman problems. But Coleman’s size and length could cause Brands problems. That would be an interesting match.
You could argue a 5/5 split is possible. But it's also likely every Iowa win comes with bonus.

When to we learn our sked? Football knows their sked YEARS in advance. 60 days til 1st whistle and here we sit

Looking to buy season tickets for the first time this year. What is the best way to go about this? Will i be at the top of carver or is there a way to get decent seats? Thanks.

The disrespect for Kaleb Young is real
Not so sure on the "disrespect". Kaleb is good and most people know that. Last year 24-7 and 4th at big's and 5th at NCAA's. He's definitely near the top. Can he put an entire season together? Look at Bull, just has his moments. All in all, this could be Kaleb's season. It will be fun to watch.

Reactions: MSeil and rassling
No disrespect for Young. Just respect for Carr’s elite talent. Similar to picking Spencer over Picc as a freshman, or Fix over Pletcher last year.
Yep, Carr is a top flight recruit, they are supposed to be favored to win the large majority of the time, that's how it works.

That said, Kaleb gets beat when his offense is stagnant, so he needs to "bring it" more often than he has so far. We will see if that happens with another year under his belt.

One thing we know for sure, Kaleb is one tough SOB. No one will be shocked if he beats Carr. He is quite capable of winning every time he steps on the mat, regardless of opponent.

Young will beat Carr on Nov 24. The weight cut will get to him and he will really struggle with a 1 hour weigh in.

Come NCAA’s, Carr is going to be a hard man to beat

Not really. Warner won a toss up match against Miklus.

Warner was controlling the match, got hurt, and then won by virtue of a last second reversal over someone he had previously majored. Part of the "perfect storm" was ISU's opportunity to win that match and they blew it.

Reactions: Wink8
Not really. Warner won a toss up match against Miklus.

Yes, really.

ISU won toss ups late/OT at 133, 141, 149 and 184 The latter THREE were matches where Iowa lead going into the 3rd period.

ISU also won a match by medical forfeit while trailing at 174.

Iowa was clearly off it's game early in the year due to a nasty illness working it's way through the room. And ISU still lost. The divide between the two teams was more accurately on display at the NCAA tournament where Iowa scored more than 2x as many points as ISU.

Don't look for a repeat of this in the upcoming dual.

Not so sure on the "disrespect". Kaleb is good and most people know that. Last year 24-7 and 4th at big's and 5th at NCAA's. He's definitely near the top. Can he put an entire season together? Look at Bull, just has his moments. All in all, this could be Kaleb's season. It will be fun to watch.

Young needs to keep elevating from where he left off last year vs being the guy who lost in the Illinois dual to Barone.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
Young will beat Carr on Nov 24. The weight cut will get to him and he will really struggle with a 1 hour weigh in.

I could see that. I have no idea how much Carr cuts. Doesnt seem a lot but as much as we want to high five Berger is gone, not so sure Carr isn't immediately as good or better than Berger.

No one is disrespecting Young. Seriously, are some of you really going to be shocked if someone of Carr's talents who can wrestle with Metcalf & St John daily is in the NCAA Finals as a RS Freshman???

IMO you can see this coming a mile away! Id put good money on Hidlay vs Carr finals if the dang new sports books would let me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaybird319
So there is a chance by Dec 2nd Carr could see.... Young & Berge at the Scuffle or Reno. Who else? Hidlay, Early, Barrone, Hayes, Parriot?

Doesnt seem as deep as last year at 157.

Last edited:
Crab legs list looks pretty accurate to me.

On carr vs young I do see carr as a superior wrestler with higher upside. Young will need to win on guts and stamina imo

I would expect an 18 point victory, but it is nice to see ISU at a point where there will be a very real challenge in so many matches. That threat should be enough to keep our wrestlers from going into Hilton on coast and getting caught off guard.

Reactions: Iowabandwagon
If Iowa is going to win it all, it better be a blowout against isu. I know a dual and a tournament are different but this is Iowa state we’re talking about. Iowa has 3 locks in the dual, IMO. Isu doesn’t have any unless you say Carr (who probably wins) which I don’t think is anywhere near a lock. This shouldn’t be close. But I do agree that the clones are looking better.

Carr didn't cut any weight this summer to win a world gold at 74kg (163lbs) - 157 isn't going to be a problem for him

No disrespect for Young. Just respect for Carr’s elite talent. Similar to picking Spencer over Picc as a freshman, or Fix over Pletcher last year.

Carr hasn’t wrestled a single College match yet. Meeks was also heralded & look how that turned out.

Carr hasn’t wrestled a single College match yet. Meeks was also heralded & look how that turned out.

He checks all the boxes though...undefeated in RS, junior world champ, top ten p4p plus a good staff to coach him. That plus two fiddy gets him a cup of coffee when the season starts but he has met all the benchmarks of an elite talent so far.

He checks all the boxes though...undefeated in RS, junior world champ, top ten p4p plus a good staff to coach him. That plus two fiddy gets him a cup of coffee when the season starts but he has met all the benchmarks of an elite talent so far.
And he beat Nelson Brands, that is the #1 indicator he must be an elite talent! ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT