ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa lawmakers advance bill to reintroduce death penalty for those who murder police

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa Republican lawmakers advanced a bill Monday that would reinstate the death penalty for individuals who murder a peace officer.

A three-member subcommittee voted 2-0 to advance Senate Study Bill 3085, with a proposed amendment, for consideration by the full Senate Judiciary Committee.

As written, the bill would make anyone convicted of first-degree murder eligible for the death penalty. But lawmakers said they would amend it to pertain only to someone who murders a law enforcement officer.

For the death penalty to be considered, the person must be 18 years or older and have knowledge that the victim was a police officer. The act must also be intentional, the offender must be a major participant in the commission of the crime, and they must not be mentally ill or intellectually disabled.

A jury or judge would need to find the defendant guilty, and then decide in a separate proceeding whether the death penalty should apply.

It also would require the Iowa Supreme Court to automatically review all death penalty sentences to examine whether the sentence is excessive or disproportionate to penalties in similar cases.

Capital punishment was abolished in Iowa in 1965.

Previous attempts to reinstate the death penalty have failed to gain traction in the Iowa Legislature.

Religious groups and others opposed to the bill said studies have shown the death penalty doesn’t deter crime. U.S. states using the death penalty have a similar murder rate to states that don’t use it, with opponents arguing the threat of capital punishment does not appear to prevent homicides.

genvelope

Subscribe now and receive a roundup of Iowa politics news sent directly to your inbox.​

Others noted racial disparities in death penalty prosecutions, and the inherent risk the death penalty carries of executing an innocent person. Since 1973, at least 190 people have been exonerated from death row in the U.S., according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

“You never get to what you want because revenge does not reward you. That's all the death penalty is, is revenge,” said subcommittee member Sen. Tony Bisignano, D-Des Moines, who declined to sign off on the bill. “Frankly, life in prison without parole has to be one of the most painful, mentally torturing things I would think that you could go through.”

Bisignano also took issue with the fact that death penalty would only apply to law enforcement — who “signs up for” and are equipped for “dangerous duty” — and not extend to children killed in a school shooting.

“I think it's a political round. We keep playing with politics in election years,” he said. “And this … cop killer bill seems to be that thing that you want to put in your brochure, but I hope you'll put along with that that you excluded children killed in school shootings.”

Subcommittee member Sen. David Rowley, R-Spirit Lake, mentioned Algona Police Officer Kevin Cram, who was shot and killed last year as he tried to serve an arrest warrant.

“A husband. Father of three. Son. Grandson. That is who wants to be heard when this sensitive issue comes up,” Rowley said, “because their pain and suffering, regardless, goes on and on.”

Sen. Scott Webster, R-Bettendorf, who chaired the subcommittee, echoed Rowley.

“I know there's a lot of conversation about this doesn't deter anybody. But that closure that those parents need, or the wife, or the husband, or the kids need, should be considered also,” he said. “I agree with that. This is a difficult situation and I believe that we should back our police officers and our peace officers that work within our prisons. We should make sure that we realize and we know that they're out there defending us and we defend them.”

Lawmakers also are considering advancing a bill that stalled during last year’s session that would bring back the death penalty in Iowa for murder in the first degree when it involves kidnapping and sexual abuse offenses against a child.

Bill would ban so-called social credit scores​

Financial institutions would be prohibited from declining to provide services based on an individual’s beliefs or social actions under legislation advanced by Republicans on a Senate subcommittee.

The legislation bars financial institutions from refusing to provide services based on a so-called social credit score, which is defined in the bill to include an individual’s religious beliefs, behaviors related to climate change, refusal to participate in diversity, equity and inclusion programs, and other social matters.

Republicans and conservative advocacy groups that spoke at a subcommittee hearing said the legislation is needed to protect people who hold conservative beliefs from political backlash from financial institutions like banks, credit unions and credit card companies.

Republican Iowa Sens. David Rowley, of Spirit Lake, and Lynn Evans, of Centerville, signed off on advancing the bill, Senate Study Bill 3094, to the full Iowa Senate Judiciary Committee. Democratic Sen. Herman Quirmbach, of Ames, declined to support the bill.

Iowa AG leads Texas defense letter​

Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird co-authored a multi-state letter showing support for Texas’ border enforcement actions as the protracted standoff between the state's governor and President Joe Biden’s administration continues.

Bird and Utah Attorney General Sean Reyes co-led the letter, joined by 24 other Republican attorneys general and the Arizona State Legislature.

In the letter, the attorneys general argue that Texas has the constitutional right to conduct border enforcement at its southern border, including setting up razor wire fencing.

The U.S. Supreme Court this week cleared the way for Border Patrol agents to cut razor wire at the Texas border after Texas Gov. Greg Abbott sued to prevent Border Patrol from intervening. The ruling did not impact Abbott’s ability to continue placing the razor wire.

Abbot has declared the rise in illegal border crossings an “invasion,” saying he has a constitutional duty to enforce border policies.

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds last week joined most Republican governors in a statement defending Texas’ actions at the border.

“While the Biden Administration has opened the door wide for drug cartels, traffickers, and potential terrorists to cross our border, States have been left to fend for themselves," Bird said in a statement. "If the Biden Administration won’t do its job to secure our border and keep Americans safe, it should step aside to let the States do the job for them. Iowa proudly stands with Texas in this fight.”

• Love
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
The death penalty doesn't accomplish anything. Simply another reason for vindictive people to kill.

Without statistics to support, logic argues the people most inclined to favor the death penalty are those espousing pro-life in the abortion issue.

Anyone else get the feeling that our Governor is simply building a resume her team feels is good enough to make her competitive for the GOP POTUS nomination in a cycle? Everything she's championing seems more geared towards national populist appeal rather than actually pertaining to life in Iowa.

Police don't deserve special treatment,.. If you want the death penalty for murder it should apply to all.
It's a stupid proposal because not you're rank ordering how "important" or "valuable" one job is vs another. So, murdering a police officer is worse/more serious than murdering a fireman, or a postal worker, or the mayor, or a teacher, or any of a million other jobs that people have who are important to the families and friends, and will be missed because of a POS criminal.

The death penalty should be legal everywhere, and it should be applicable to about 100 different crimes - the commission of which should disqualify anyone from getting to be alive, on this planet, as part of our society ever again.

The death penalty doesn't accomplish anything.
It accomplishes making sure that the criminal is never, ever able to commit a crime again in their lives.

It accomplishes making sure that no one will ever be a victim to that person ever again.

It accomplishes raising the aggregate health of a society by removing the people who work against that society to harm those who do good for their own gain or, worse, for o reason other than to be a menace.

It accomplishes making sure that the criminal is never, ever able to commit a crime again in their lives.

It accomplishes making sure that no one will ever be a victim to that person ever again.

It accomplishes raising the aggregate health of a society by removing the people who work against that society to harm those who do good for their own gain or, worse, for o reason other than to be a menace.
Do you think our justice system gets it right everytime? If not, there shouldn't be a death penalty.

So if you find out afterwards you executed an innocent man, well that’s just too bad?

Ted Bundy never murdered another woman after he had a date with Old Sparky. And he was not going to stop.
I’m not a fan of the death penalty but some humans are sadly too dangerous to live among us. They’re like rabid dogs.

Ted Bundy never murdered another woman after he had a date with Old Sparky. And he was not going to stop.
I’m not a fan of the death penalty but some humans are sadly too dangerous to live among us. They’re like rabid dogs.
Unless you can promise me that we’ll never execute an wrongfully convicted person I’d rather they rot in prison.

Do you think our justice system gets it right everytime? If not, there shouldn't be a death penalty.

So if you find out afterwards you executed an innocent man, well that’s just too bad?

It would be very simple to add in qualifiers/criteria that would identify all the instances where there is ZERO remaining doubt, and apply it quickly and efficiently to those cases. Caught on tape, witnesses, admission? We can skip all the appeals after the conviction and go straight to carrying out the penalty.

Sure, in cases based solely on circumstantial/hearsay evidence then keep open the chance to revise the ruling. But for those others, why prolong the life of someone who's proven they don't deserve it?

And, I'd also be in favor of applying the death penalty as kind of a "cumulative penalty"/"lifetime achievement award". Like at the carnival where you start off with smaller prizes that you can gather and trade up for larger prizes, we should be able to set a threshold of the number of convictions at which point a criminal has established themselves as a lifelong, irredeemable, piece of crap, who never intends to operate within, or contribute towards the success of, the society. We should able to apply the death penalty to them as well.

Living as part of a society is a right, but it's a right that you should forfeit once you've shown that you don't value it, and can't abide by the accompanying responsibilities and expectations.

Just no in general. Too many chances for human error in the legal system.

im opposed to the death penalty for that reason, if you can’t fully guarantee that even one innocent person could be executed for any reason, then id rather they spend life in prison.
This is my view as well. I'm 100% against the death penalty unless it was 100% accurate on guilt. That's not possible.

It would be very simple to add in qualifiers/criteria that would identify all the instances where there is ZERO remaining doubt, and apply it quickly and efficiently to those cases. Caught on tape, witnesses, admission? We can skip all the appeals after the conviction and go straight to carrying out the penalty.

Sure, in cases based solely on circumstantial/hearsay evidence then keep open the chance to revise the ruling. But for those others, why prolong the life of someone who's proven they don't deserve it?

And, I'd also be in favor of applying the death penalty as kind of a "cumulative penalty"/"lifetime achievement award". Like at the carnival where you start off with smaller prizes that you can gather and trade up for larger prizes, we should be able to set a threshold of the number of convictions at which point a criminal has established themselves as a lifelong, irredeemable, piece of crap, who never intends to operate within, or contribute towards the success of, the society. We should able to apply the death penalty to them as well.

Living as part of a society is a right, but it's a right that you should forfeit once you've shown that you don't value it, and can't abide by the accompanying responsibilities and expectations.
If you have to put in that many qualifiers to be absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, standing over the corpse holding the murder weapon; then I just don’t get how it could be worth it.

Disagree 1000% that it could ever be a cumulative penalty. Any Christian for that matter should as well - were taught that everyone can be saved.

If you have to put in that many qualifiers to be absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, standing over the corpse holding the murder weapon; then I just don’t get how it could be worth it.
It wouldn't have to be all three.
Disagree 1000% that it could ever be a cumulative penalty. Any Christian for that matter should as well - were taught that everyone can be saved.
That's why Christians should worry about being judged by God, and leave the judgement of criminals to other people. "Saving" is for the afterlife - not this life.

We've got a finite amount of time on this plane of existence, and we shouldn't have to live it at risk of being victimized by pieces of crap violent criminals. Productive member of society >>> criminal = every time.

The former's quality of life should never have to be adversely impacted by the latter's inability to function as part of the society. They should be removed swiftly, and completely - doing so improves all of the society: the rising tide raising all boats, removing the infected limb to improve the life of the host, etc.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
It wouldn't have to be all three.

That's why Christians should worry about being judged by God, and leave the judgement of criminals to other people. "Saving" is for the afterlife - not this life.

We've got a finite amount of time on this plane of existence, and we shouldn't have to live it at risk of being victimized by pieces of crap violent criminals. Productive member of society >>> criminal = every time.

The former's quality of life should never have to be adversely impacted by the latter's inability to function as part of the society. They should be removed swiftly, and completely - doing so improves all of the society: the rising tide raising all boats, removing the infected limb to improve the life of the host, etc.
There’s too many elements that can be messed with; prosecutorial misconduct; witnesses are wrong, shady cops, human error, etc.

You simply can’t make that guarantee to me. As long as humans are involved in the process there is a possibility that something went wrong.

That would be my preference as well but some cases are a slam dunk and the crimes so egregious that there are those rare exceptions.
At what point does it go from justice to revenge then? The crime itself doesn’t matter to me in this argument. If there is a chance that even one person can be wrongfully convicted and then executed, this will always be a flawed process.

This is dumb.

I support the death penalty. Some people need to be completely removed from society and the death penalty is the most humane way of doing that.

At what point does it go from justice to revenge then? The crime itself doesn’t matter to me in this argument. If there is a chance that even one person can be wrongfully convicted and then executed, this will always be a flawed process.
No argument from me but I believe it was for the good of society when Bundy was “put down”. He’d escaped from prisons before and he was driven to kill. The fear he created and the grisly details of his murders made it impossible to move on for so many until he was pronounced dead.
And he was guilty.

Then you have never been a part of a murder trial. I was a part of the jury for the Randall Moore abduction, sexual assault, murder, and attempted murder trial and no one should have to view the crime scene photos we had to look at as part of the trial. Based off of what I saw, I’d have no problem pulling the switch to fry him for what he did to the Mother of his child and the attempted murder of the responding police officer to the crime scene. And if Iowa had the death penalty, I’d of made sure he got it. I’d of gone to watch the sentence be carried out, look him in the eye and say you are getting what you deserve. Some people don’t deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Then you have never been a part of a murder trial. I was a part of the jury for the Randall Moore abduction, sexual assault, murder, and attempted murder trial and no one should have to view the crime scene photos we had to look at as part of the trial. Based off of what I saw, I’d have no problem pulling the switch to fry him for what he did to the Mother of his child and the attempted murder of the a responding police officer to the crime scene. And if Iowa had the death penalty, I’d of made sure he got it. I’d of gone to watch the sentence be carried out, look him in the eye and say you are getting what you deserve. Some people don’t deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of us.
No, I've never been on a jury. And again, if you can guarantee that not one person would ever be wrongfully convicted I could get behind the death penalty. If you can't, it's far better to lock them away, throw away the key, and spare everyone the expenses of the endless appeals, not mention making the families have to relive that trial over and over again.

Kill a cop? You're gonna fry.

Kill the Governor? Mere life.

Interesting play Kimbot.

Capital punishment should be conducted at the federal level only. And it should be by firing squad or noose. While it can be argued that those who rape/murder/commit treason forfeit their right to life, I don’t agree with states (like Oklahoma or Alabama) using condemned as guinea pigs for “more humane” ways to die. There isn’t a foolproof way to off someone, and it seems that the more “innovative” the method, the more likely it becomes botched.

Capital punishment should be conducted at the federal level only. And it should be by firing squad or noose. While it can be argued that those who rape/murder/commit treason forfeit their right to life, I don’t agree with states (like Oklahoma or Alabama) using condemned as guinea pigs for “more humane” ways to die. There isn’t a foolproof way to off someone, and it seems that the more “innovative” the method, the more likely it becomes botched.
Oh well. They forfeited their life and become the guinea pig when they chose to commit the crime of murder. Their life is over and should suffer like their victims suffered or even worse.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
No, I've never been on a jury. And again, if you can guarantee that not one person would ever be wrongfully convicted I could get behind the death penalty. If you can't, it's far better to lock them away, throw away the key, and spare everyone the expenses of the endless appeals, not mention making the families have to relive that trial over and over again.
I agree but there are some crimes so heinous that the death penalty is warranted for the worst of the worst.

Reactions: goldmom
All the snibbling liberal cowards in this thread should be executed like Dela Croix in Green Mile.

The death penalty doesn't accomplish anything. Simply another reason for vindictive people to kill.

Without statistics to support, logic argues the people most inclined to favor the death penalty are those espousing pro-life in the abortion issue.
Likewise, most against the death penalty are pro abortion, an odd dichotomy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT