ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa lawmakers advance bill to reintroduce death penalty for those who murder police

You question his guilt? Ed Gein’s? What about where they admit to the killing?
so I get to decide when guilt is undeniable? Or you? Should the government give you a jingle to see what your opinion is after every murder trial? How much evidence does it take to be undeniable? Do you realize that every valid self defense claim to a homicide starts with admitting you killed someone?

I don’t think your position is as well thought out as you think. Sure, if might feel good for a minute to say fry them. At some point, you should realize you are advocating for the government intentionally killing someone because that person intentionally killed someone. And think about how race, gender, socioeconomics, mental health, childhood trauma (to name a few) have an impact on the outcome of a criminal case as you decide that killing someone is appropriate. If you spent any time in the criminal justice system, it’s so easy to know it is so flawed and sanctioning killing peoples is just wrong.

Reactions: TailgateTom
so I get to decide when guilt is undeniable? Or you? Should the government give you a jingle to see what your opinion is after every murder trial? How much evidence does it take to be undeniable? Do you realize that every valid self defense claim to a homicide starts with admitting you killed someone?

I don’t think your position is as well thought out as you think. Sure, if might feel good for a minute to say fry them. At some point, you should realize you are advocating for the government intentionally killing someone because that person intentionally killed someone. And think about how race, gender, socioeconomics, mental health, childhood trauma (to name a few) have an impact on the outcome of a criminal case as you decide that killing someone is appropriate. If you spent any time in the criminal justice system, it’s so easy to know it is so flawed and sanctioning killing peoples is just wrong.
I’m talking like the cases where we know. You are chest that their are bad rulings. There are cases that are clean cut though.

I’m talking like the cases where we know. You are chest that their are bad rulings. There are cases that are clean cut though.
So you and I get to decide? What if we don’t agree that we know guilt is undeniable? How do you sort out the bad rulings from the clean cut cases? Or is that my job?

Stepping stone for state sponsored murder for all sort of crime. Be patient we’ll get there

Likewise, most against the death penalty are pro abortion, an odd dichotomy
Not at all. The issue with "abortion" is a matter of a mother (women's) choice (control) of her health issues.

The government has taken that control of what should be her personal decisions. Ultra-conservative basically shithead men in gerrymandered rural back-water states have controlled the issue since the Orange Turd was able to plug the SCOTUS with lying pieces of shit.

Besides flaws in the legal system that have allowed innocent people to be put to death in the past, the death penalty is pure hypocrisy. I find it absurd that anyone can rationalize “justice” coming by way of killing an offender who has killed someone else.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Then you have never been a part of a murder trial. I was a part of the jury for the Randall Moore abduction, sexual assault, murder, and attempted murder trial and no one should have to view the crime scene photos we had to look at as part of the trial. Based off of what I saw, I’d have no problem pulling the switch to fry him for what he did to the Mother of his child and the attempted murder of the responding police officer to the crime scene. And if Iowa had the death penalty, I’d of made sure he got it. I’d of gone to watch the sentence be carried out, look him in the eye and say you are getting what you deserve. Some people don’t deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of us.
Sorry big guy, but emotions like you typed above should not be a part of the decision making process. Your post has more of a revenge feeling than actual justice. Look, I get emotional over that shit too, but it's why I should not be a part of the decision making process

Sorry big guy, but emotions like you typed above should not be a part of the decision making process. Your post has more of a revenge feeling than actual justice. Look, I get emotional over that shit too, but it's why I should not be a part of the decision making process
When the guy bragged about doing it and said he would do it again if given the chance, sorry but that guy doesn’t deserve to breath the air we breath. He killed the mother of his child and a veteran on Vetersn’s day of all days. He should have been executed by now if Iowa had the death penalty. Total pos. Look it up and read what he did and said post conviction. Judge Joel Novak said in all his years on the bench that he has never seen a more vile, remorseless person in his courtroom. Moore was given his allocution and boy did he seal his own fate with it. Thank God he will never see the light of day ever again.

So if you find out afterwards you executed an innocent man, well that’s just too bad?
Only one man can prevent this....

1*p7IrfoJjlHhPhutX4KupDw.gif

Reactions: sober_teacher
When the guy bragged about doing it and said he would do it again if given the chance, sorry but that guy doesn’t deserve to breath the air we breath. He killed the mother of his child and a veteran on Vetersn’s day of all days. He should have been executed by now if Iowa had the death penalty. Total pos. Look it up and read what he did and said post conviction. Judge Joel Novak said in all his years on the bench that he has never seen a more vile, remorseless person in his courtroom. Moore was given his allocution and boy did he seal his own fate with it. Thank God he will never see the light of day ever again.

The problem tho is that this is absolutely the exception to the rule. Legalizing the death penalty makes the exception into the rule, despite the inherent flaws that remain a part of the process.

So long as the process is flawed, I can’t get behind the death penalty as an acceptable punishment for any crime.

Who gets to decide that? At what point does that turn from justice to vengeance?

The crime can’t be a consideration because that’s entirely subjective.
I also agree with this...I've also thought that maybe instead of an automatic death sentence it should be more of a "death penalty eligible" finding. Let the victim's family decide what would give them the best closure. Of course, then you run into a litany of other issues.

I also agree with this...I've also thought that maybe instead of an automatic death sentence it should be more of a "death penalty eligible" finding. Let the victim's family decide what would give them the best closure. Of course, then you run into a litany of other issues.
My understanding is that first they have the trial, then have a hearing to see if the death penalty applies.

I REALLY don’t think the family should be able to opine about if the death penalty should be used - they can’t possibly be objective and there’s a very good reason they aren’t allowed to have a say in a verdict.

Reactions: TailgateTom
You are absolutely right about the horrific things that Randall Moore did. I'm sorry that you had to see them. I imagine those are images you'll never be able to erase from your mind.

We may not agree on the death penalty but you are so right that he should never see the outside of a prison ever again.

You are absolutely right about the horrific things that Randall Moore did. I'm sorry that you had to see them. I imagine those are images you'll never be able to erase from your mind.

We may not agree on the death penalty but you are so right that he should never see the outside of a prison ever again.
It's interesting how the death penalty is applied for the same crime for different states. For instance, states like Kentucky or South Carolina traditionally hand out death sentences fairly liberally (they might not be executing the condemned with the same frequency as they did say, 20 years ago, but if a universally agreed-upon method is established, that might change). Other states, like Oregon, still retain the use of capital punishment but are far more reserved about using it. It'd take something especially brutal (and as others have mentioned earlier, a 'slam dunk') for it to be meted out. And others still, like Wisconsin, don't have it at all (now a FEDERAL crime committed in Wisconsin is a different animal altogether).

I think the death penalty should be abolished at the state level, irrespective of offense, because there's a lot of inherent bias in each state. Let Uncle Sam decide their fate. In Alabama, you can practically hear a jury chant "Fry, fry, fry!" when a man with no criminal history shoots his wife's lover in a fit of rage. Yet in Connecticut, a habitual child molester gets 20 years to life.

It's interesting how the death penalty is applied for the same crime for different states. For instance, states like Kentucky or South Carolina traditionally hand out death sentences fairly liberally (they might not be executing the condemned with the same frequency as they did say, 20 years ago, but if a universally agreed-upon method is established, that might change). Other states, like Oregon, still retain the use of capital punishment but are far more reserved about using it. It'd take something especially brutal (and as others have mentioned earlier, a 'slam dunk') for it to be meted out. And others still, like Wisconsin, don't have it at all (now a FEDERAL crime committed in Wisconsin is a different animal altogether).

I think the death penalty should be abolished at the state level, irrespective of offense, because there's a lot of inherent bias in each state. Let Uncle Sam decide their fate. In Alabama, you can practically hear a jury chant "Fry, fry, fry!" when a man with no criminal history shoots his wife's lover in a fit of rage. Yet in Connecticut, a habitual child molester gets 20 years to life.
the differences feel very arbitrary to me which is another part of my objection to the death penalty.

I have no problem with prison not being a country club. Incarceration should be punishment without torture.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT