ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa lawmakers debate social studies, history and race as school curriculum bills advance

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Iowa lawmakers tussled Tuesday evening over school curriculum, engaging in partisan debates about how to teach about U.S. history, race and the role of "social emotional learning" as Republicans moved to advance a slate of education bills ahead of a Friday legislative deadline.

Among the GOP-led bills advanced by the House committee is one that would outline specific topics, people and documents to be taught in grades one through six (House File 2330), and another that commissions a full review of the state's core curriculum, educational standards and content standards, aimed at discussions on race and "social emotional learning." (House File 2329).

Under the first bill, social studies curriculum would be required to include such topics as the "history and meaning of the United States flag and national anthem," the "culture heritage of western civilization, the United States and the state of Iowa," and "the study of and devotion to the United States' exceptional and praiseworthy history."

Fifth- and sixth-graders would be required to study "Common Sense," the Revolution-era pamphlet by Thomas Paine; writings from Alexis de Tocqueville; and transcripts of the Lincoln-Douglas debates, among other topics.

"Whether we want to believe it or not, with our emphasis on STEM … math and the other things we began to focus on over the course of the last decade or so, I think we've dropped the ball on history," said Rep. Steve Holt, R-Denison.

"That is why I have been so deeply concerned, because I've talked to so many young people and they can't tell me about the greatest generation, they can't tell me about Dec. 7, 1941, they can't tell me about Normandy. But they can tell me all the negative stuff."

The bill encountered broad criticism from Democrats, who warned it would be burdensome to districts and educators and was too specific, emphasizing some parts of history while minimizing others.

"I think being incredibly prescriptive in curriculum is not the job of this Legislature, and that this bill, fundamentally, is legislative overreach," said Rep. Heather Matson, D-Ankeny.

The other proposal would require the state's education director to conduct a "comprehensive" review of all graduation requirements, curriculum, content and educational standards, and recommend policy changes in a report to Gov. Kim Reynolds and the Legislature by the end of the year.

Both bills advanced to be eligible for House floor debate, keeping them alive through Friday's first "funnel" landmark of the session, alongside several other education proposals.

Committee Democrats expressed a range of concerns with the social studies legislation — arguing that it was too prescriptive and would put teachers and districts in a bind; that several of the topics weren't age appropriate for grade-schoolers; and that the curriculum didn't suitably address either the darkest parts of U.S. history or world history.

"This particular prescribed list gives me pause," said Rep. Molly Buck, D-Ankeny, a teacher. "Not because I have an agenda, but because as a teacher, I just don't know where the time would come from."

Matson noted that she had been told the list of curriculum topics was derived from the Civics Alliance and National Association of Scholars, citing an article that refers to the blueprint as "the right's new social studies plan" and requesting that any additions to core curriculum come from within Iowa.

Asked to clarify what the bill's description of "devotion" to American history could mean, Rep. Brooke Boden, R-Indianola, the bill's sponsor, said it would mean teaching "the founding principles" of the U.S.

Reactions: Ree4
Disappointed Premier League GIF by Crystal Palace Football Club

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT