ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa looked awesome

The game turned on the injury of the qb. Neither defense was worth a hill of beans until then. It was good thing NS was hot that first half.

The game turned on the injury of the qb. Neither defense was worth a hill of beans until then. It was good thing NS was hot that first half.
That makes it a least 3 games ending our opponents chances by injury to their QB (Minn, Purdue). So, its not like that was freakishly lucky occurrence, especially considering his near concussion just previous to his arm injury. The pressure of Iowa's D-Line started dominating SC's offense in the 2nd Quarter. It was clearly only a matter of time, with no rushing attack to be worried about, that the Iowa D would take over.

Last edited:
That makes it a least 3 games ended out opponents chances by injury to their QB (Minn, Purdue). So, its not like that was freakishly lucky occurrence, especially considering his near concussion just previous to his arm injury. The pressure of Iowa's D-Line started dominating SCs offense in the 2nd Quarter. It was clearly only a matter of time, with no rushing attack to be worried about, that the Iowa D would take over.

Agreed. Even when we were boat racing each other in the first half, you could tell one of the boats had a motor and the other had a sail and that sail was about to go limp.

It looked to me and the announcers that up to the point of injury, USC had all the momentum going for it with the ball and down by 4 points. I could see the Iowa defense never shutting USC down and becoming tired.

It looked to me and the announcers that up to the point of injury, USC had all the momentum going for it with the ball and down by 4 points. I could see the Iowa defense never shutting USC down and becoming tired.
They sure did! Well, until they didn't :D

Shouldn’t you be celebrating Iowa states greatest team and season ever ?
Why would I? I was an ISU fan until Iowa hired Dan Gable. I guess honest and objective reasoning is not welcome by some on here. Have a little more class.

Dr. Obvious.

Typically a football game will have moments in them that turn the tide for one side it may be an inopportune fumble a major penalty an injury or even a fantastic defensive play that knocks out an opponents key player.

Reactions: AlvySinger
You're totally wrong that we dominated that line of scrimmage the whole game and it wouldn't have made any difference if their quarterback was in. Watching their sidelines during part of the game they were in shock. I think we were a lot bigger faster and stronger than they anticipated.

Teams like USC think they can walk on the field and beat a bunch of farmers from Iowa without working up a sweat. Instead, last night they got whiplash to go with their bruises as they turned to watch Hawkeyes flying past them. The USC team is a legend in its own mind, not unlike some folks on the other side of the country.

Nah, that wasn't going to happen. First play after the onside kick was a near sack (and personal foul) with an incomplete pass. The second play after the onside kick was another near sack (and should be forced fumble) that caused the injury. The third play was a stuffed run. The fourth play was another sack that likely would have brought Slovis down too because it was a missed block. It didn't seem to me like our defense was going to allow for a game changing momentum shift.

Last edited:
Iowa scored on every possession until there was 1:20 to go in the 3rd. I would say that except for a few moments, Iowa was in control. I wish the USC QB could have finished the game so that those who think he would have had such a difference would shut up.

After the 2nd Qtr the only question was by how much Iowa would win. Iowa's offense was going to limit the number of SC possessions and Iowa had the only D on the field that could stop the other team (giving Iowa 11 point margin in the first half against with Slovis in the game).

It was clear the Iowa's Defense (AJ) was going to get to their QB no mater who was playing AND that SC (he Alma mater of Allen, White, OJ, Bush, Davis, Bell, Garret) could not run the ball (less than 65 yards in the game before taking away the yardage lost form sacks), their Offense was one dimensional, giving Phil Parker the opportunity to dial up several blitzes. A rare treat for the Iowa faithful.

There was going to be a surge from an 8-4 Solvis lead SC team and Iowa stopped it with the sack & injury of Slovis. From there, Nate, Imir, Sam Laporta, the Iowa offensive line and committee of effective running backs possessed the ball long enough and scored 14 more in the second half to salt away the victory. The pick 6 was the cherry on top.

When two famous SC grads (Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush) embarrassed and disgusted by the SC performance both capitulated to a complete domination in all phases by Iowa, I'm afraid your claims fall way short of anything credible. Just say'n, Happy New Year and GO Hawks!

Last edited:
That makes it a least 3 games ending our opponents chances by injury to their QB (Minn, Purdue). So, its not like that was freakishly lucky occurrence, especially considering his near concussion just previous to his arm injury. The pressure of Iowa's D-Line started dominating SC's offense in the 2nd Quarter. It was clearly only a matter of time, with no rushing attack to be worried about, that the Iowa D would take over.

NFL teams would be smart to draft AJ, otherwise they risk him knocking their QB out. Not with dirty hits, but with clean hard hitting or arm-ripping plays

Reactions: BCRoss89
Teams like USC think they can walk on the field and beat a bunch of farmers from Iowa without working up a sweat. Instead, last night they got whiplash to go with their bruises as they turned to watch Hawkeyes flying past them. The USC team is a legend in its own mind, not unlike some folks on the other side of the country.

USC was down 11 points when the backup came in. 28-24 when AJ took him out, HAWKS went on a scoring drive to make it 35-24. The D would have shut slovis out too, they were qetting to him.

Reactions: iafan44
My sentiments exactly. Had a similar eerie feeling like the Nebraska game in 2018 right after we failed on that fake FG attempt. You could feel the momentum change.

WEIRD, I could see the HAWKS shut out usc and crush them. I guess we know who saw how the game would play out!!

USC was down 11 points when the backup came in. 28-24 when AJ took him out, HAWKS went on a scoring drive to make it 35-24. The D would have shut slovis out too, they were qetting to him.
USC just reeled off 10 unanswered points, down by 4, recovered an onside kick-off, had all the mo, when Slovis was hurt. Iowa was not effective at all ion shutting him down until the injury. I guess you (and others wearing blinding black and gold glasses) didn't notice how ineffective Iowa's defense had been all game long up to this point in shutting USC down. No one knows how the game would have gone had Slovis not been hurt. Any and all that think otherwise simply are indenial of how all had gone down up to that point.

USC just reeled off 10 unanswered points, down by 4, recovered an onside kick-off, had all the mo, when Slovis was hurt. Iowa was not effective at all ion shutting him down until the injury. I guess you (and others wearing blinding black and gold glasses) didn't notice how ineffective Iowa's defense had been all game long up to this point in shutting USC down. No one knows how the game would have gone had Slovis not been hurt. Any and all that think otherwise simply are indenial of how all had gone down up to that point.

You're a delusional clown fan. You claim we're in denial about an imaginary hypothetical.

Was Slovis not playing the entire first half when Iowa was up 28-17?

He got sacked on the play he was injured on. Iowa then destroyed them on a 90 yard TD drive. Was Slovis going to play defense too?

We won decisively and you were destroyed in front of a national audience. Keep living in imagination land. It's all you clowns have since you had no key wins in your most anticipated season.

REALITY. The DEFENSE allowed 7 points the 2nd half, no one knows if slovis would have made another first down. So we are stuck in the real world of 49-24, not make believe or what if land. 10-3 BABY.....

Well then I guess lucky for us that this was the first time ever that a QB has been knocked out of a game, particularly one playing for a team that has committed to throwing the ball over 70% of the time, and making no effort to protect him with any semblance of a running game whatsoever. We sure dodged one there big time, fellas.

I said in another thread that I knew Slovis wouldn’t finish the game when the announcers said his parents only wanted him to play flag football.

Reactions: ffjoey44

"Reeled off 10 unanswered points." Lol. Literally. Ten unanswered points because we forced a FG at the end of the first half (something USC had not been able to do) and USC started on offense in the second half. It is hard to answer when we hadn't had possession of the ball. As soon as we did have posession we answered with a drive that showed we had complete ownership of the USC defense. Nevermind that two plays in a row after the onside kick we did great in stopping Slovis. Unless he was going to start playing defense, USC was never going to keep up.

As soon as we did have posession we answered with a drive that showed we had complete ownership of the USC defense.
You didn't know Iowa punted the ball 4 times in the second half. Try to stay awake next time when viewing.

Kedon Slovis
22 completed 30 attempted 73.3 percentage 260 yards total 168.1 rating

Yeah, Iowa really had his number. o_O

You didn't know Iowa punted the ball 4 times in the second half. Try to stay awake next time when viewing.

Is that the best you can do when trying to sound clever? Not surprised I guess. I was awake for every play of the 49-24 beatdown.

Kedon Slovis
22 completed 30 attempted 73.3 percentage 260 yards total 168.1 rating

Yeah, Iowa really had his number. o_O

Of which the last two punts the game was well in hand and Iowa was running the clock. Facts are stubborn things.

Have to love it when clown fans are resigned to what could have been scenarios when Iowa finishes the season top 15 and all ISU is remembered for is national audiences wondering why ND had to play a 7 win team.

How many other games this year did you think the Hawks were going to lose or should have lost? So what if their starting qb left the game? It happens all of the time. How many games did Iowa play with starters out? If you’re really a Hawk fan you should be happy with how that game went but if you are you sure have a funny way of showing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT