ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Minnesota Series

Mar 14, 2003
It looks like Iowa has settled into a rotation as it appears to be Dermody, Hanse, and Kuebel again. Minnesota brings quality pitching to the table as well in Tom Windle, Alec Crawford, and DJ Snelten with ERA's ranging from .73 to 2.79.

Minnesota is in 1st place in the Big Ten with a 24-13 record (7-2 in the conference). Minnesota did benefit from having all three of their games called off last weekend vs Michigan State, so it's been two weeks since their weekend guys have seen action.

The Friday game at 6:05pm will be on BTN, so get out to Duane Banks if ya can. It should be a good time.

Iowa defeats Minnesota 10-9 in 10 innings in a come from behind win. Iowa was down 9-4 going into the 8th inning and Kris Goodman a 2-out grandslam to make the score 9-8. Iowa tied the game in the Bottom 9th with a 2-out RBI double by Taylor Zeutenhorst. With the bases loaded in the Bottom 10th and 2 outs, Keith Brand was hit by a pitch which allowed the game winning run to cross the plate.

Matt Dermody did not have his best game as he went 7 innings allowing allowing 10 hits and 5 earned runs. Iowa did rough up Minnesota's Tom Windle as he went 7 1/3 allowing just 5 hits but 6 earned runs.

Iowa has two homeruns ALL YEAR one by Kris Goodman and the other one was by Nick Day the very first weekend of the year vs Austin Peay.

This post was edited on 4/26 11:59 PM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

Lucky for me the game Iowa picked to score 10 runs was on TV ;)

This game reminded me of the Banks era - lots of offense, some very good defense, and some not so good.

Iowa falls to Minnesota 10-2 today in a game that Minnesota jumped on Iowa 9-0. Six of Minnesota's 10 runs were UNEARNED. Andrew Hedrick did have a nice outing in relief for Iowa as he tossed four innings allowing just one run.

Alec Crawford who was Minnesota's starting pitcher today is a native of Wilton,Iowa and transferred to Minnesota from DMACC. Once again another DI player that appears to be solid that is playing for someone other than Iowa.

Rumor I heard is the Minnesota coach is going to retire and Alec' former DMACC coach wants the job . He is coaching at a school in Texas this year.

Iowa loses to Minnesota 9-5 and loses the series 2-1. This is one of those games you just shake your head at as Iowa committed FIVE errors allowing SIX unearned runs for Minnesota. Also Taylor Kaufman got the start today and was only charged for one run (a total of four scored when he was in). However, he allowed nine hits which is way too many in just four innings.

Iowa was down 6-3 and Ricky Sandquist seemd to be in a bit of a groove after some control issues and was pulled after the 6th innings, Iowa gave up three runs in the 7th.

Sasha Kuebel came in to relieve Nick Hibbing in the 7th and Sasha tossed 2 1/3 scoreless innings allowing three hits.

It is frustrating because this is one of those games Iowa easily could've won. My personal opinion is Ricky Sandquist should've been left in and Sasha Kuebel should've started as it was originally listed. Would the outcome have been different? No idea, that is why I am a fan and not a coach.

I just like what Kuebel brings to the table despite his struggles this year. I do like what Taylor Kaufman brings to the table as well, just doesn't make sense to throw him into the starting rotation this late in the year.

Iowa faces UW-Milwaukee in Iowa City on Tuesday before a three game series at Michigan.

Iowa basically has to go 8-1 or 9-0 to have any shot at the Big Ten Tournament in their final three conference series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT