ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa & Nebraska Said Play, Rest Say No Per DP

So basically someone or a lot of someones is just pushing the narrative until the powers that be finally cave and officially say okay fine, it's done.

If enough people keep saying, "they're gonna cancel" "they have to cancel" "I don't see it happening" "I heard they've already decided to cancel", then eventually it must be true, just so people can get what they want, right?....................

There's a pesky little thing known as a contract that binds the B1G universities.

You want to benefit from conference membership? You want to collect 1/14th of the $.50/month from all of the cable/satellite subscriptions that exist in the B1G's footprint? You want 1/14th of the B1G's conference television revenue? You take the "good" with the "bad."

You simply cannot unilaterally claim "we don't like what the conference is doing so we are going to play games against other universities."

Say what you will but there is little doubt that the University of Iowa is a member of the nation's most powerful collegiate athletic conference and materially benefits academically and financially from the benefits associated with B1G membership.

Missing college football this season (assuming that it happens) will suck big time but there are larger picture concerns . . . and there is no chance that any of the B1G schools are going to risk leaving the conference for the chance to roll the dice on a 2020 Fall season if the B1G decides to postpone the season.

Why don't they let those schools that want to play, play the games. Get a list of all schools in NCAA that want to play, then set a schedule. Maybe we end up playing in the big 12 or SEC. That would be fun! Or maybe we finally get a game with ND.[/QUOTE
I realize there’s an “agreement” against your proposal however we’re living in very unique times (agreements have been modified & broken before). I like your suggestion especially having the opportunity to complete with the great SEC in a regular season game demonstrating nationally Iowa can have success without 3-4 wk prep for bowl games. Especially with the talent on this yr’s sqaud.

If Scott Frost thinks that Nebraska can unilaterally play this season with no ramifications, he even loonier that I previously thought.
Frost is just showing his bravado. I will stipulate that SF is an idiot but even an idiot can understand the major ramifications of a B10 member electing to declare themselves an Independent for Fall sports and not expecting the other 13 members of the conference exacting a considerable cost for their decision.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...cels-season-iowa-college-football/3334949001/

The Big Ten has voted to cancel the 2020 college football season in a historic move that stems from concerns related to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, multiple people with knowledge of the decision confirmed to the Free Press.

The sources requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the decision. A formal announcement is expected to Tuesday, the sources said.

The presidents voted, 12-2, to end the fall sports in the conference. Only Nebraska and Iowa voted to play, Dan Patrick said on his radio show Monday.

Earlier on Monday, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz canceled that day's football practice, the Register learned.

The move occurred after Big Ten presidents and chancellors met on Sunday night to "discuss the future of the season," according to Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel.

The move comes two days the Mid-American Conference's decision to cancel its season, and could lead to other Power Five conferences doing the same.

Sources told the Free Press on Saturday that Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren prefers a spring football season, although no final decision has been made.

Last week, the conference released updated schedules for all 14 teams, while teams officially began fall camp late last week.

Now, those same teams will be sidelined for the fall.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT