ADVERTISEMENT

IOWA Picked 2nd in the B1G West. Cooper DeJean Preseason B1G Defensive Player of the Year (Cleveland.com Preseason B1G Football Poll)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Enjoy him while we have him. Next year? Off to the NFL.

This is the 2nd consecutive year that a Hawkeye has been the media's preseason pick for B1G Defensive Player of the Year. Last year Jack Campbell was the preseason pick and he ended up winning the award.

The story:

Michigan clear favorite over Ohio State in 13th annual cleveland.com Preseason Big Ten Football Poll

Beat writers from all 14 Big Ten teams were invited to participate in the vote on who would win the B1G, as were some who cover the entire league or have a national perspective. A total of 37 voters participated. Each writer was asked to vote 1-7 in both divisions, with first-place votes worth seven points, second-place votes worth six and so on.

For the first time in four years, tOSU is not the preseason favorite to win the B1G title. Michigan earned a comfortable margin as the projected conference champion in the 13th annual cleveland.com Preseason Big Ten Football Poll. Of the 37 voters from across the league, 27 picked the Wolverines to win it all, compared to eight for Ohio State.

Compared to tOSU, Michigan plays the easier league schedule by most estimations, as it hosts Ohio State and does not play either Wisconsin or Iowa. The Buckeyes travel to Wisconsin one week after playing Penn State at home in Weeks 8 and 9.

Iowa was picked 2nd in the B1G West by 1 point (Iowa received 16 first place votes and 232 points).

Big Ten East​

1-Michigan (27 first-place votes) 248
2-Ohio State (8) 226
3-Penn State (2) 192
4-Maryland 143
5-Michigan State 105
6-Rutgers 74
7-Indiana 48

Big Ten West

1-Wisconsin (20 first-place votes) 233
2-Iowa (16) 232
3-Minnesota (1) 176
4-Illinois 152
5-Nebraska 116
6-Purdue 89
7-Northwestern 38

Big Ten championship Game Predictions

Michigan over Wisconsin (15)
Michigan over Iowa (11)
Michigan Minnesota (1)
Ohio State over Iowa (4)
Ohio State over Wisconsin (4)
Penn State over Iowa (1)
Penn State over Wisconsin (1)

Other Poll Notes:

Five teams received second-place votes in the West: Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Nebraska. Wisconsin’s edge over Iowa in first-place votes was offset by Iowa’s edge in second-place votes (17-11). The Badgers also received five thirds and one sixth-place vote. The Hawkeyes received two thirds and two fourths.

Six voters predicted a regular-season rematch in the Big Ten Championship game: Ohio State vs. Wisconsin (four), Michigan vs. Minnesota and Penn State vs. Iowa (one each).

2022: Pick: Ohio State. Actual: Michigan.
2021: Pick: Ohio State. Actual: Michigan.
2020: Pick: Ohio State. Actual: Ohio State.
2019: Pick: Michigan. Actual: Ohio State.
2018: Pick: Ohio State. Actual: Ohio State.
2017: Pick: Ohio State. Actual: Ohio State.
2016: Pick: Ohio State. Actual: Penn State.
2015: Pick: Ohio State. Actual: Michigan State.
2014: Pick: Michigan State. Actual: Ohio State.
2013: Pick: Ohio State. Actual: Michigan State.
2012: Pick: Michigan. Actual: Wisconsin.
2011: Pick: Nebraska. Actual: Wisconsin.

The story:

Last edited:
Wisconsin and getting too much preseason hype: name a more iconic duo

Note that 1 voter had Wisconsin finishing 6th in the West.

I would love to know who the 4 voters were who picked Iowa 3rd or 4th in the West.

Breakdown of the 37 votes:

Wisconsin
20 votes: 1st place
11: 2nd
5: 3rd
0: 4th
0: 5th
1: 6th

IOWA
16 votes: 1st place
17: 2nd
2: 3rd
2: 4th
0: 6th

Going to be interesting to see if that offense can work in Wisconsin, and if Iowa has an offense.
True, but as we all know, you don't necessarily have to have an offense to be successful in the B10 West. I'll be more worried about Wisky's D, they should be pretty salty.

• Haha
Reactions: PoleSmokinHerkyFan

Michigan clear favorite over Ohio State in 13th annual cleveland.com Preseason Big Ten Football Poll

Beat writers from all 14 Big Ten teams were invited to participate in the vote on who would win the B1G, as were some who cover the entire league or have a national perspective. A total of 37 voters participated. Each writer was asked to vote 1-7 in both divisions, with first-place votes worth seven points, second-place votes worth six and so on.

For the first time in four years, tOSU is not the preseason favorite to win the B1G title. Michigan earned a comfortable margin as the projected conference champion in the 13th annual cleveland.com Preseason Big Ten Football Poll. Of the 37 voters from across the league, 27 picked the Wolverines to win it all, compared to eight for Ohio State.

Compared to tOSU, Michigan plays the easier league schedule by most estimations, as it hosts Ohio State and does not play either Wisconsin or Iowa. The Buckeyes travel to Wisconsin one week after playing Penn State at home in Weeks 8 and 9.

Iowa was picked 2nd in the B1G West by 1 point (Iowa received 16 first place votes and 232 points).

Big Ten East​

2-Ohio State (8) 226
3-Penn State (2) 192
4-Maryland 143
5-Michigan State 105
6-Rutgers 74
7-Indiana 48

Big Ten West

2-Iowa (16) 232
3-Minnesota (1) 176
4-Illinois 152
5-Nebraska 116
6-Purdue 89
7-Northwestern 38

Michigan over Iowa (11)
Michigan Minnesota (1)
Ohio State over Iowa (4)
Penn State over Iowa (1)

Other Poll Notes:

Five teams received second-place votes in the West: Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois and Nebraska. Wisconsin’s edge over Iowa in first-place votes was offset by Iowa’s edge in second-place votes (17-11). The Badgers also received five thirds and one sixth-place vote. The Hawkeyes received two thirds and two fourths.

Six voters predicted a regular-season rematch in the Big Ten Championship game: Ohio State vs. Wisconsin (four), Michigan vs. Minnesota and Penn State vs. Iowa (one each).

The story:

Not so sure about Michigan being the CLEAR favorite as some - as do I - think that the B1G goes through and depends on the OSU defense. If they can even put together an average defense this year - unlike the POS unit in 2021 and 2022 (especially in key games), they could win everything including the NC.

If, however, they repeat their sorry defensive performances in 2021 and 2022, they'll get beat by both Michigan and PSU. I think the OSU defense is the question mark, not only in the conference, but nationally

Would not surprise me to see OSU and Alabama - another team with a chip on its shoulder - in the NC game. Both have taken ridicule over the last few months and both are loaded with uber talent

Last edited:
Not so sure about Michigan being the CLEAR favorite as some - as do I - think that the B1G goes through and depends on the OSU defense. If they can even put together an average defense this year - unlike the POS unit in 2021 and 2022 (especially in key games), they could win everything including the NC.

If, however, they repeat their sorry defensive performances in 2021 and 2022, they'll get beat by both Michigan and PSU. I think the OSU defense is the question mark, not only in the conference, but nationally
Michigan's offense is going to be bonkers, the only step back possible is the OL. OSU and PSU are starting new QBs. The easy betting money is on Michigan.

Would not surprise me to see OSU and Alabama - another team with a chip on its shoulder - in the NC game. Both have taken ridicule over the last few months and both are loaded with uber talent
while osu's defense made glaring mistakes, the offense was also to blame in both losses to UM..two games where the offense scored under 30 points, and last year put up a measly 3 points in the second half...plenty of yardage, but failed to score td's....not sure what to expect from psu's offense, totally hinges on Allar staying healthy and being as good as advertised..what i do expect, is psu to be very successful against osu's pass offense..will be a good game in columbus..

• Haha
Michigan's offense is going to be bonkers, the only step back possible is the OL. OSU and PSU are starting new QBs. The easy betting money is on Michigan.
The newest updated Vegas odds - where it counts (money) - has Georgia as the favorite at +225, Alabama and OSDU at +600, and Michigan at +1000.

And every preseason forecast has OSU as having the #1 or #2 offense as they are just loaded on offense including this prediction. OSU's McCord is a bigtime player as he was all ready to transfer and Ryan Day talked him out of it - he's entering his 3rd year in the program. McCord started one game his freshman year and set a ton of OSU records for a first time start. In fact, Michigan's McCarthey has a chip on his shoulder over McCord as OSU slow played McCarthey waiting on McCord to commit. And PSU's Allar should excel at QB also

As mentioned, OSU's offense is not the problem - it will be explosive. The defense on the other hand........ I'm predicting OSU playing the winner of the Wisky-Iowa game in the B1G championship

Last edited:
Note that 1 voter had Wisconsin finishing 6th in the West.

I would love to know who the 4 voters were who picked Iowa 3rd or 4th in the West.

Breakdown of the 37 votes:

Wisconsin
20 votes: 1st place
11: 2nd
5: 3rd
0: 4th
1: 6th

IOWA
16 votes: 1st place
17: 2nd
2: 3rd
2: 4th
0: 6th
Badger hater in there somewhere. How could you possibly pick them last...even before NW imploded

while osu's defense made glaring mistakes, the offense was also to blame in both losses to UM..two games where the offense scored under 30 points, and last year put up a measly 3 points in the second half...plenty of yardage, but failed to score td's....not sure what to expect from psu's offense, totally hinges on Allar staying healthy and being as good as advertised..what i do expect, is psu to be very successful against osu's pass offense..will be a good game in columbus..
Agree, but part of the OSU offensive problem in both the Michigan and Georgia game - as you mentioned - was the lack of a running attack and a lot of that had to do with injuries as their top 2 RBs entering the season - T. Henderson and Evan Pryor -were both out with injuries and even their 3rd RB - I believe his name is Williams - was hampered with leg issues. A lot of the load fell on to true freshman Hayden last year and some kid named Traynum. ESPN has their top 4 RBs as the deepest in the country in 2023 - if they stay healthy - a big IF.

If you look at the recruiting rankings in the B1G, OSU has a sizeable margin over both Michigan and PSU which reflects poorly on OSU's coaching staff - most notably their defensive coaches. I really believe that Michigan has the best staff in the conference and it pains me to say that about Harbaugh

Last edited:
  • Haha
If Iowas Offense lays another turd for the season won't matter again how good the D is, sure could win the west then get smoked in the championship game. On paper the O should be better but every year we hear the same on how the offense will improve. I really hope the offense is better if thats the case Iowa could run away with the west

• Haha
If Iowas Offense lays another turd for the season won't matter again how good the D is, sure could win the west then get smoked in the championship game. On paper the O should be better but every year we hear the same on how the offense will improve. I really hope the offense is better if thats the case Iowa could run away with the west
I've always said that Phil Parker is by far the best DC in the B1G and one of the top 2 or 3 in the country. Put Iowa's defense with OSU's offense and you have a NC every year

Agree, but part of the OSU offensive problem in both the Michigan and Georgia game - as you mentioned - was the lack of a running attack and a lot of that had to do with injuries as their top 2 RBs entering the season - T. Henderson and Evan Pryor -were both out with injuries and even their 3rd RB - I believe his name is Williams - was hampered with leg issues. A lot of the load fell on to true freshman Hayden last year and some kid named Traynum. ESPN has their top 4 RBs as the deepest in the country in 2023 - if they stay healthy - a big IF.

If you look at the recruiting rankings in the B1G, OSU has a sizeable margin over both Michigan and PSU which reflects poorly on OSU's coaching staff - most notably their defensive coaches. I really believe that Michigan has the best staff in the conference and it pains me to say that about Harbaugh
is there a spot that shows recruiting rankings for projected starters?

• Haha

Do you agree that Ohio state has as much talent on their roster as any team in the country? If so, they should be right in the thick of things when it comes to National Championship contention.

Does anything happen in Columbus if Michigan wins the Big Ten title for the third year in a row?

• Haha
Do you agree that Ohio state has as much talent on their roster as any team in the country? If so, they should be right in the thick of things when it comes to National Championship contention.

Does anything happen in Columbus if Michigan wins the Big Ten title for the third year in a row?
Agree about OSU having as much on-paper talent as anyone in the country. Their problem however, as many of us know, is putting a quality defense on the field in 2023 especially against the best teams. If they do put a quality defense on the field for a change, they could very well win the B1G and NC

• Haha
Definitely agree it’s Michigan as the front runner going into the year. But I don’t think it matters that OSU is starting a new QB. Given their WR room and history of producing killer college QBs.

• Haha
Definitely agree it’s Michigan as the front runner going into the year. But I don’t think it matters that OSU is starting a new QB. Given their WR room and history of producing killer college QBs.
As of this morning, Georgia is the national favorite in Vegas at +250 with Alabama and OSU both +600. Michigan is 4th at +1000. So Michigan is not the front runner where it counts the most - money.

• Haha
Still don't understand all the hype around Wisconsin. I don't think they're going to be the offensive juggernaut everyone else says they're going to be.
Lazy journalists just parrot what everyone else says...or go with old themes. Now...more than ever.

• Haha
As of this morning, Georgia is the national favorite in Vegas at +250 with Alabama and OSU both +600. Michigan is 4th at +1000. So Michigan is not the front runner where it counts the most - money.
I’m referring to within the Big Ten, just as the post I replied to appeared to be.

• Haha
OSU was the better team than GA for 95% of the game. Should have won. And I’m confident GA would have blown the doors off of Michigan. However, Michigan’s physicality the last 2 years is giving OSU fits. Unless they get better on defense I see another Michigan blowout.

Big Ten East​

2-Ohio State (8) 226
3-Penn State (2) 192
4-Maryland 143
5-Michigan State 105
6-Rutgers 74
7-Indiana 48

Big Ten West

2-Iowa (16) 232
3-Minnesota (1) 176
4-Illinois 152
5-Nebraska 116
6-Purdue 89
7-Northwestern 38

Michigan over Iowa (11)
Michigan Minnesota (1)
Ohio State over Iowa (4)
Penn State over Iowa (1)

Other Poll Notes:

The story:

We need to shock the world and knock these sumbitches off this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT